Robalo Boating Forum

Factory Robalo Forum closing 1/17/2022

2-N-TOW

Ugh. Anything but FB. Maybe owners who, like me, avoid FB will join here. This one has always been better anyway since Robalo never really supported or assisted owners on their own forum and here you can get information and assistance from Robalo owners.

Anybody know why they are discontinuing it?  Facebook has its place, but forums seem to be better suited for tracking specific topics and projects.  It would be nice to see some of that traffic come back here, though.

BTW...I am open to any suggestions to make this place better suited for you!

My guess is they've never really cared for their customers much after purchase and running the forum, while not participating, has consumed some time and resources.  However 'haz' posted this and at least the content won't be lost:

I've begun a fresh saving of the Forum pages using the Wayback Machine of Archive.org.

I'll keep chipping away at creating a current archive until the Forum is decommissioned.

Results of this swan-song effort -- and earlier saves of pages -- are available at https://web.archive.org/web/*/http://forum.robalo.com/.

The Robalo Boat Owners Group Facebook page with 8,800 members is likely one of the best resources available to us. 

Membership in that group is available for the asking at https://www.facebook.com/groups/1711553655771436/

Good luck!

Edited by FullThrottle

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it appears to be gone. Not responding.

Answered a few questions in the last week and hopefully they were read before now...or maybe they can re-post their questions here.

Even though it was kind of a competitor of this site, I hate to see that happen.  

From a cost vs benefit view, I totally get it.  Even with this site, when I factor in the daily cost (not including my time...only actual money outflow) against the number of new posts or visits, it is not a good investment.  A lot of people don't realize that there is the web hosting company that is what you see on the site and performs the back-end administration tasks, database hosting company that stores all this information, and ip site registration companies.  It probably costs me around $400 a year in those administrative fees.  I would love to get back to charging a very small annual membership fee, but we are such a small, specialized community that I don't want to run off what few active participants we have and not "commercialize" the site as I feel that makes for an annoying experience.

Hopefully, we can get back to a more active group in the near future...

Winter always has less conversation on most boating forums except those couple that call themselves boating forums, but in fact are more of a political site or FB imitator.  I stop by your Robalo forum fairly often to learn what I can and for those rare opportunities to help someone else. We were all new to boating at one time and this site is excellent at helping them out, or helping experienced boaters with major restorations.

The Sailfish site is similar to this one. A few guys got together and created the site and help out others when they can.

One manufacturer really created a great site and although I'll probably never own a Ranger Tug or Cutwater boat, I still visit their site to learn from some knowledgeable sources, or the factory reps who respond to questions and post 'how to' videos. Excellent discussions on lots of subjects not Ranger, such as AIS, anchoring, etc. I wish all boat manufacturers did something similar with a company sponsored and supported forum. It sure seems to create a lot of loyalty as many of their users are on their second or third Ranger or Cutwater.

I really appreciate your dedication to this site and I know some people on the now defunct Robalo forum came over here at my suggestion. I'm hoping more will come as they will get excellent advice here.