Robalo Boating Forum

2 tubes full of water under center console

Hello everyone i am new here  and to boats in general. i just went from a 20 ft robalo to this 26 and i am getting to know it. in my inspection of boat today i saw 2 pvc tubes with caps under center console directly below front console seat when i took caps off i saw the had water in it. i realized that the biggest compartment in the front had a big plastic screwed down covering something on the floor, i removed it i saw they cut out the floor and were taking out the foam and it also was full of water. i checked the foam after i took water out and its only wet in the surface its not saturated. I am going to fill with foam and fiberglass it over again the way it should be but my question is what are those 2 pipes under console for  and for what reason would someone cut out floor and start removing foam. any info is appriciated.

MVIMG_20210415_194225.jpg

IMG_20210415_193751.jpg

IMG_20210415_193756.jpg

MVIMG_20210415_193740.jpg

Hi Infanteralph19 and welcome to the forum!

First...I think this may be an R2520.  Here is the spec sheet for a 1982 R2520 and the floor layout looks very similar.

It looks like somebody did not re-install the teak gunnels when it was previously worked on when looking at the factory photo.  I also have no clue why someone would have cut the floor out of that fishbox unless they were considering adding a macerator pump, cut the floor out to see how they could install it below the box, then had second thoughts and just stopped.  

Do the 2 tubes go all the way to the inside of the hull bottom?  Pump the water out and see what is in there.  Were the end caps regular pvc caps like you get at Lowes or HD?  The only think I can think of is rigging tubes or access holes to pump water out of from below deck.  Is the pipe the same diameter as the pipe running forward below deck in the same picture?

Welcome to the forum . As old as your boat is sometimes it’s hard to understand but previous owners have made a lot of modifications over the years since when we built it . Back then ROBALOS were built different from most other production boats. However I’ve seen this before and there were new transducers out there and they were through hulls but with the totally foam filled and with the tubs installed they were able to instal them . And how do I know I had one in mine but it has been removed for 45 years now. Crawl under there and see if they are still there or have they been removed. If they haven’t keep checking to see if there leaking if they are you might need to remove them and patch the holes. If you haven’t done fiberglass repairs you might want to have someone who knows how as if it’s not done right id could do a lot of damage. Not trying to scare you but it is in a very  vulnerable area.  So check it out and get back . As for the other area who knows could have been used to hide things like lobster lol

Food for thought , Back then the R2320 and the R2520 were called R236  and R256 . They have always been the same hulls and most changes over the years were the console, liner and fuel capacity. 

thanks for the replies, i have vacuumed out the water from the tubes and the hole made by previous owner the tubes go straight to the hull and there is no holes or transducer it does look like some dried resin like holes were patched on one side.IMG_20210418_010342.thumb.jpg.9ea2041fa7fd23816841ba48060c92b0.jpgIMG_20210418_010329.thumb.jpg.89ce3d65583727557e32166782343902.jpg  i vacuum out the water and i came back later and it had water again, it seem less water coming everytime i wet vac it out. same as the hole made, the foam is not saturated but water comes from between the foam and the hull. i am hoping with a few days wet vacuuming the water out it will eventually dry.  i tried sticking a snake threw the transom drain plug but it only goes in about a foot. this boat has no bilge and the previous owner began cutting out foam to put in a bilge i assume but gave up after a foot, i have dug it out all the way to the bottom and realized the drain plug is not open, it is in a stringer looking hump. if there an easier way to cut out the foam from bilge area i would appreciate the info.

That stringer you can see in the middle of the image is where the transom drain plug goes threw.IMG_20210418_010201.thumb.jpg.9864d81e02ed9c29642a8c3793e44a4c.jpg

• 1 month later...

A regular hand saw will work. LiL better if you sharpen the tip like a knife so you can rock it back and Ruth as you push it into the foam.. just make it into squares the size of the blade then I use a garden hoe ( sharpened ) after I get the first square out. It just takes time. Most try to chip it out ( been there done t got the T-Shirt) and it makes a mess and a lot of vacuuming..