Robalo Boating Forum

Do I repower my 2440 or sell?

Morning guys, Happy 4th of July.

Went out salmon fishing for the first time this summer in Washington state. Made a pass with the tide a few times on Waldron island about 14 miles from my dock. One hour before tide change(prime time) I fired up my 2007 250 E-Tec and ran a mile or two up to make the drift again, BANG, thought I had hit something but water was flat and I hadn't. I slow the engine to idle and it sounds like crap. Clanking and rattling which goes away after 10 seconds. Only hear the noise when you throttle up, in or out of gear. Pretty sure I have a piston rod flopping around inside the cylinder... Glad I had my 2016 Yamaha 9.9 high thrust kicker. Was a 3.5 hour journey home, but I got there.

I like the boat but have been thinking of going smaller and more manageable. Have been looking for a 22' C-dory angler. Want the hard cabin with the hard doors and easier to maintain. Now my current boat is basically worth 7 grand? Trailer needs new axles and brakes. Boat needs a new motor and a couple of pumps replaced(fish box and washdown). Other than that, the boat is in really good shape for a 1993.

Do I sell and get 7-8 grand out of it? Or do I spend 25K on a 300 Yamaha and run it for some more years and sell it for 35??? I know first world problems, but I am thinking of selling and waiting for my C-dory to come on the market. I can find them for 30-40 rigged well with newer power...

Thanks for reading, stay safe and god bless America!!!

20180722_150905.jpg

20170625_211410.jpg

Never looked at a C-Dory before as here in the mid-Atlantic there aren't any dealers at all. Guess it's a North West boat for your conditions there. Sorry your engine decided it was time to go bad. Glad you had a backup.

I hate hearing that about the motor.  Pull the plugs and see if you can identify the cylinder that is bad.  Also try turning it over by hand and see if you feel any hard spots.  Next would be to pull the head off that side and get a visual on the damage.

I would recommend first looking into repairing the existing powerhead if the damage is not too bad or look for another  used 250 Etec.  This would save some money on not needing to change out the rigging and instrumentation.  

I should have stuck with my first guess. It was my lower unit. Went to put on a different prop yesterday assuming the motor would be going away and didn't want to leave my stainless prop on there. When looking at the lower unit there is a small hole and dimple on the starboard side just above the water pick up. 

I still ran a compression check just to make sure that it wasn't the powerhead and see if it is worth keeping. Just over 800 hours on the motor. Compression was 130-133 on 5 cylinders and the lower starboard cylinder was 121psi. Still within 10% so think I will be looking around for a lower unit on Monday... Guess that is good news? Still 2-5K depending on new or reconditioned lower unit.

Fix her up, fish her for the rest of the season and then clean her up for sale next spring? 

If you repower with a brand new engine I assume you'll keep it forever. 

I'd shop around for etec stuff. It's going pretty cheap since they're last announcement. 

I'd think you could get a lower unit for 1k on hulltruth right now.

For whatever reason,2 strokers almost always have lower compression on the bottom cylinders when compared to the rest of the motor.  I would not worry about that at all.  

I am with Richard on this one...you can do way better than $2k.  Changing it out yourself is not that difficult, if you want to tackle it.  I can talk you through the process as it should be fairly close to how I drop my lower unit on my 2003 Evinrude.

Since the motor is in good running shape and insurance may cover the damage??? $500 deductible may be the way to go for a couple thousand dollar job. Pulling the boat this weekend and will take pictures for the insurance company. Not much to see but some gears trying to pop out the side of the lower unit. Getting the 17' Whaler ready for some salmon fishing now. Nice to have a spare pain in the butt sitting around to maintain??? Anyway, I will be fishing again by the weekend and waiting to see what happens with the comfortable fishing machine.

Any sign of striking something?  Either a ding on the prop or lower unit case.  That is what the insurance company will be looking for. You may want to ask if they also cover mechanical failure, if that is the case.

Run a stainless prop to get the beast out of the water and on step. Thump and Bang while running at cruising speed. Only damage is from the gears trying to come out of the lower unit. No dings on the stainless. Just find it odd that it would just give up while at cruising speed? No air to the prop, no change in rpm's. Just a thump and pop.

Worth sending in the pics and seeing what they say. Paying insurance for a long time without a claim? If they say NO, no big deal.