Robalo Boating Forum

1989 Robalo 2680 turned project

On 6/5/2021 at 8:29 AM, mrrobalo said:

What about making some wedges out of starboard. They look like they might match the light casting material ? 
Where are you planning using her mostly ? 

I was thinking of wedges myself, Joey said he came up with the plan to get the correct angle. Basically he is going to recess the lights and angle them at what he thinks looks right. Then he will coat the lights with tape and PVA then use cabosil and epoxy to form the angle. Then fair and finish...

I plan to do some offshore and intercoastal fishing and playing. The Admiral likes random beaches but also loves to fish so I am in luck there. 

Today I received notification that the boat leaves for the paint shop on this coming Wednesday... This will be all of the topside above the rubrail finish. I can't wait to see it in person...

Once the boat comes back into the shop we are laying out the Alexseal hull paint. The bow rail is getting cut down now as well so that should be wrapped up around the same time as the boat is finished with fhe topside paint. 

Gettin closer. 

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow sounds wonderful , I can imagine how excited you are. I can’t wait to see it . How long does it take to get to Homestead from where the boat is? My son is still waiting to hear back from the kidney coordinator about getting him in somewhere. As of now I’ll have to drive him a 100 miles each way ( were in Biaha Honda) and then I have 5 hours to kill before I pick him up. Still trying to get him in the Key west facility only 30 min away ).                      Ive been working away getting the boat ready to take down to Nicks ( he’s trailering the boat down for us and swap out vehicles ) My restoration wasn’t al elaborate as yours  and seems like it’s taken me forever but she’s almost ready. Bought another prop but she still doesn’t come out of the hole as fast as I like but will see soon how she does fully loaded. 
i cant wait until you get the hull painted as I’m sure I’m going to repaint the hull sides next winter the total boat paint  just doesn’t seem as durable as it should be.  Oh well I have to get off the cyber docks here and organize all the fishing tackle were are going to take..

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/12/2021 at 6:38 AM, mrrobalo said:

Wow sounds wonderful , I can imagine how excited you are. I can’t wait to see it . How long does it take to get to Homestead from where the boat is? My son is still waiting to hear back from the kidney coordinator about getting him in somewhere. As of now I’ll have to drive him a 100 miles each way ( were in Biaha Honda) and then I have 5 hours to kill before I pick him up. Still trying to get him in the Key west facility only 30 min away ).                      Ive been working away getting the boat ready to take down to Nicks ( he’s trailering the boat down for us and swap out vehicles ) My restoration wasn’t al elaborate as yours  and seems like it’s taken me forever but she’s almost ready. Bought another prop but she still doesn’t come out of the hole as fast as I like but will see soon how she does fully loaded. 
i cant wait until you get the hull painted as I’m sure I’m going to repaint the hull sides next winter the total boat paint  just doesn’t seem as durable as it should be.  Oh well I have to get off the cyber docks here and organize all the fishing tackle were are going to take..

From Homestead to Naples is probably around 120 miles or so. Currently it is in Marco Island as of today for the paint shop to get all the white laid down. They think they will have it for about 2 weeks, as soon as this gets wrapped up it comes back and then we will be fairing and sanding the hull in preps to lay down the Alexseal Lauderdale Blue paint... I'm guessing before the end of July we will have all the paint wrapped up...

I am sitting at 2yrs right now, and it feel like it has been forever, but now it is feeling pretty good to know that we are not far from seeing the results of the hard work. We have changed so much, this boat is going to be a totally different ride than it ever was before. The first sea trail should only be a few months away at now...

So happy for you!  I took a little over a year to do the R190 and didn’t cut into the floor except the stern and changed it to be like my 1969 R190.           Just towed the travel trailer down to Biaha Honda on Monday . It was like a normal fiasco as I trailered the boat down to Nicks in Port St. Lucie with the Durango (190k on it) on Friday and swapped it out for a one owner 2005 GMC Yukon Denali with only 120k that looks well taken care of. All went well on return home ,wife was a lil Leary about the idea of taking a new to us suv . We started off at 8:00 Monday and had No AIR CONDITIONING. It was a long hot trip to PSL and Nick met us at his shop I was ready to hitch up the Durango but he was able to add Freon. I tried but my tool didn’t work before we left but with 2 cans freon and a hour later we were off again. Got here around 6:00 .  Looks like my son was able to get into the Key West dialysis clinic so now he can drive the 25 miles when he goes.  
This vacation is one of many birthdays ,Nicks ,Jackie ,granddaughter Noelle. We have a Charter on Sunday that Nick does every year and am looking forward to it as it will help me find the fish for the following week.I know the feeling of the project coming to a end. This trip will be the real test of the boat and hopefully all my work will be worth it. Only thing I wish I had time to so was to put self adjusting Bennett trim tabs to help the hole shot but might be different with a loaded boat for fishing. Will keep you posted . 

• 2 months later...

I haven't posted in a long time but some progress has been made... Updates are below...

The painter has taken 8 weeks and I had to point out some things that needed to be fixed before I will accept the job... (this is everything above the rubrail, bow areas, hatches, new glass work, console, etc).

Hardtop is coming along ng with the recessed nav amd spreader lights in the edges... Joey put in some serious time on these and knocked it outa the park... we had to get creative for running the wires since this hardtop was not built with a cavity like the others made from the se mold, this took more work to make it happen...

As soon as the boat gets back from the first painter it goes into the next paint shop for the Lauderdale Blue Alexseal paint job.

We have decided to use colored epoxy inside the fish boxes, livewell, and inside the bildge since it will hold up to the constant wetness of these areas... We still have to bore thru the hull to add some scuppers, i think I have a decent idea to allow is to move a lot of water out now (rectangular flaps and 4 2in holes)... 

So after all of this is wrapped up it looks like I will be having the black acrylic for the console molded to fit the contour using 1 piece. Then off to Texas for the electronics package install, GatorStep decking installed, and working on the sound system which is going to be be final touches. 

Pics will be added soon...

Well at least some is still in the progress. I can imagine how it seems like a eternity at this point. Can’t wait to see the paint job. The total boat paint I used is just ok. I have to go touch up 1/2 dozen spots that came from docks during the summer but that’s to be expected when teaching son how to tying  up in a slip .I got a letter from the management in the complex that electricity &  water will be cut off in our compound. That sucks but I’ll just bring it to the house when I need to do things. 
ALL the way to Texas for electronics package, hmm .  Glad to hear the hardtop came out so good. Thanks for the update.

• 1 month later...

Ok, so the boat has returned to us from the 1st painter... Everything appears to be good except for maybe 2 small spots that he needs to fix but I'm just happy to have it back now to get the rest of the work done. The console looks amazing, no more screw heads everywhere, reinforced and sturdy, and bright white. The helm side of the console will be 1 solid piece of black acrylic that has been molded to fit the contours perfectly, it should look pretty good when wrapped up... 

Currently we are wrapping up the hardtop, we had to bore holes to run the wires thru it because apparently the new hardtop I purchased was not constructed the same way as the others that I saw in the store, this one has a full honeycomb coring with no way to pull wires.... I purchased an electricians drill bit and bored the holes and then Joey cut a piece out of the center to run 1/2 PVC conduit so we can hide everything. We still have to give the spreader lights the proper angle before buttoning the hardtop up but all in all I would say it should be mostly wrapped up by next week. 

Hopefully shortly after the hardtop is finished up and faired out we can get the Alexseal painted on the hull and underside of the top... Lauderdale Blue here we come!!!  I am hoping this will take place within the next month.

And yes, the boat is going to Texas for the electronics fit and install, for most people that seems crazy but I move boats for a living so I will make it line me up for a job so it was like I was traveling out there for work anywyas. This also includes the primary wiring for the boat as well. I also have a sound syste getting installed out there at the same time, I can't say much about that right at this point becuase it is a worked out deal with a company based out there but it will be nice and after it is done everyone will know who did it... Texas is because this work was all bartered and I am getting a few decent deals on equipment as well... 

But attached are a few pics of the recent progress, hopefully things will roll faster now but we shall see.

20211003_193653.jpg

20211003_193650.jpg

20211003_193619.jpg

20211003_193614.jpg

20211003_193611.jpg

Damn Smitty, she is gonna be sweet when done!  Really looking forward to seeing that console finished up...those pictures from 2 years ago it looked "dated".  Glad to hear you were able to find a work-around dealing with the hard top wiring.  I have used those electrician drills before when running wires in a first floor ceiling when there is a second floor and they are a big help...still have to cut a little hole every few feet but much better than cutting out the whole wiring path!

When this project first started, I thought you were crazy to sink this much time, effort, and cash (or barter) into it.  Hindsight....you must have seen where boat prices were headed and this project sounds so much more reasonable.  It is gonna be an awesome custom boat when splashed.  Keep up the progress reports.

It has definitely been a long time, a lot of work, a lot of money, and a lot of horse trading to get where it is currently at for sure. I tend to overdue things when I get into them, my motto has always been "if it is worth doing, it is worth overdoing", and this is overdone lol. We are getting close now and it is starting to feel like it. I could have easily purchased a newer more expensive boat but it probably wouldn't have been exactly what I wanted in some way or another, this boat has been worked to the point that I literally ran out of ideas to change things. Now, I have a boat that has been built to my exact liking from tip to tail and down to the smallest detail (I would have never been able to get that in a standard production boat.

Still plugging away at it, getting closer!!

Here are a few pics of the console and a few more of the boat.

20211003_180235.jpg

20211003_183447.jpg

20211003_180215.jpg

20211003_193523.jpg

20211003_193512.jpg

20211003_194339.jpg

20211003_193611.jpg

20211003_193551.jpg

20211003_183440.jpg

What did you end up doing on the scuppers?  Seems there was a lot of conversation on this as to how to be able to drain a lot of water out fast, yet has something that didn't look so "industrial".

As always Smitty your right on point.  Like Said above you would have to spend 4 times the amount per foot to buy a new one

And a few important things :

It will not be manufactured. To the QUALITY of your hands on build

You get the all the options the way you want to fit your wants and needs.

if ever there’s a problem you know EXACTLY where it is and you built it in a way it allowed you a way to get the part in and out.

One thing for sure she’s going to be turning heads everywhere you go. 

1 hour ago, 2-N-TOW said:

What did you end up doing on the scuppers?  Seems there was a lot of conversation on this as to how to be able to drain a lot of water out fast, yet has something that didn't look so "industrial".

We haven't bored the holes yet but we have plenty of room... the plan is to bore 2 or 3 overlaping holes on each side of the transom and use one of the rectangular flaps style scupper covers on the rear, from the inside it will appear as an obliged oval and we have to glass in that area like a gutter... We are not excited to start that part of the project but it is in the plans right now... the thickness of the transom is not going to be fun to bore thru, it will probably feel like we are boring a tunnel thru a mountain lol...

7 minutes ago, mrrobalo said:

As always Smitty your right on point.  Like Said above you would have to spend 4 times the amount per foot to buy a new one

And a few important things :

It will not be manufactured. To the QUALITY of your hands on build

You get the all the options the way you want to fit your wants and needs.

if ever there’s a problem you know EXACTLY where it is and you built it in a way it allowed you a way to get the part in and out.

One thing for sure she’s going to be turning heads everywhere you go. 

This is exactly where my mind was... We often talk about how some of the features are totally unique and that there won't be very many people who will be able to identify the boat. 

Every detail was done deliberately along the way. I did everything exactly how I wanted it without the things I don't like. We have access to areas that were never able to be reached in the past, increased storage spaces, increased structural integrity, decreased weight, gained additional buoyancy, etc... At this point it me loving the hull design and building a boat with it. 

I am eager to see it with the console recounted, the new paint on the hull, and the rubrail installed... I am starting to feel like a child on Christmas morning. 

• 1 month later...
On 11/18/2021 at 10:29 AM, mosailn said:

How are you going to finish the console? Are you going to attach the hardtop to it? I have the same console on my 2120 and thinking about a refresh...  Nice job! 

I will have to take some new pics for you to better show what I'm going to describe here but:

Basically we have a full length base that was constructed on the bottom of the hardtop stand that hugs and is fully contoured to fit around the bottom of the console. This will allow us to bolt it to the floor and spread out the bolts so there is not too much stress in a single area. The pipework actually fits snuggly against the console and has 2 round pads on each side near the top of the console as well as a bar that crosses the from of the console that will be thru bolted to the console. Then obviously the top will mount to that and there are 2 additional mounting tabs and pipes near the top to connect to the E-box to allow us to run all the wiring thru it to hide everything. 

As you can tell by the old console pics vs the new ones we removed all protruding screws and one of the compartments from the console, we stiffened everything up using Coosa board, then we added blind mounting tabs with Coosa inside of the interior of the console to allow us to perfectly mount the console to the deck without any visible screws fromt he outside. Once we mount the console, the stand and the hardtop we will then run a clean bead of caulk around the base to have a nice finished look.

Currently I'm about to move the boat into the new paint shop (probably before next weekend). The shop that is doing the new work does not have a very high entrance so we have decided not to mount the top until it leaves the paint shop.

Here are some updates and new pics.. 

Joey was relocating his shop to Homosassa FL so I moved my boat out of there headed to DeLand FL where I have a buddy with an autonomy shop who is wanting to paint the boat. Right now it is sitting at my house but next week or seeon I will get it moved over to his shop. 

We put the stand over the console and it looks nice!!! I wanted to put the hardtop on to get some pics but it won't fit in his shop with the extra height. 

A few pics that I snapped while I had it hilled up to the truck!!!

Screenshot_20211122-234530_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20211122-234510_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20211122-234450_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20211122-234412_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20211122-234327_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20211122-234320_Gallery.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/25/2021 at 6:14 PM, 2-N-TOW said:

Damn....so close to being done!  I am looking forward to seeing that hardtop on it.

Funny thing was last night I entered my boat yard and saw the front of a boat that I didn't remember seeing there before and I said "who's boat is this in here now", then I realized it was mine. I literally didn't recognize my own boat lol.. It is pretty amazing to see the boat right now even in this state, it has come such a long way from where it started... seeing the console in with the hardtop stand around it really let me see what the final product will look like. 

I'm hoping to get it over the the new paint shop sometime next weekend, work has just been so busy with work I haven't had much time to get anything done for myself.