Robalo Boating Forum

New to the Robalo family '98 2109 Bayhunter tunnel hull

The boat is a '98 Robalo/U.S. Marine 2109 Bayhunter tunnel hull. The boat was repowered with a 2011 Optimax with only 121 hours on the motor. Mounted on a 12" Atlas jack plate. Trolling motor is a 24 volt Terrova 80 lb thrust with Ipilot, autopilot, and spot lock. Boat has a standard cranking battery, 2 Diehard AGM trolling batteries, and Minnkota 3 bank charger. It also came with a gray line bait tank and 6 beefed up drift master rod holders. T-top with electronics box already wired is another bonus. Trailer is a tandem axle with electronic brakes. Took it for a test drive today in the wind and it ran more stable than anything I have ever ridden in. I am getting dual power poles will have HDS graphs at the console and on the bow when I pick it up next week. I am amazed at the quality of the ride and I would love to learn more about this boat if anyone has any info.

post-5937-0-30388100-1445084242_thumb.jpg

post-5937-0-22729000-1445084255_thumb.jpg

post-5937-0-10660600-1445084265_thumb.jpg

post-5937-0-88619800-1445084273_thumb.jpg

Nice Boat! I did not know Robalo had tried that design...should be great for skinny water adventures. Betcha it would be a heck of a red drum / speckled trout rig :thumbsup:

• 3 months later...

I have done a few upgrades in the last couple months. Added HDS 12 at the console and HDS 7 at the bow. Added an Optima Bluetop 31 series, new MinnKota 4 bank 60 amp charger, and a Motorguide 105 lb thrust 36 volt Xi5 that I can control from my graph after connecting everything via NMEA 200. Also added dual Power Poles, Lowrance Link 8 VHF radio, green Diablo drain plug lights, and 20 Bee Ready for holders. I'm running out of ideas on what else I could add.

If you're like me, you'll think of something you just can't do without in a couple of days. I didn't notice a Radar or FLIR on the boat. I don't have them, but I know people who swear they just can't fish without them. I do like an autopilot, and it makes since for me. Fished yesterday, traveling over 66 miles and probably 40+ of that was trolling with the autopilot driving the boat.

Wife complained on her last trip about not having enough drink holders, so I just bought 4 rod/drink holder combos to put in. I'll swap out the 2 rod holders by the back seats and add 2 new rod/drink holders by the front seats. The saying 'a boat is a hole in the water to pour money into' holds true for me and a lot of boaters I know. And... I wouldn't have it any other way.

Enjoy the boat. Looks like you've done some nice upgrades.

I think your HIN might start WJO not WJ0. hindecoder.com couldn't find WJ0, but offered this for WJO.

HIN Search results:
Success! WJOA26VPB898 is of the standard HIN type called Current-Format HIN. If you are buying this boat/craft then you should get the boat history and Boat Insurance from the BoatU.S. Program.
WJO HIN Decoder
Our HULL ID Decoder breaks down the Hull identification number into the following information:
The HIN or CIN you have entered meets the Current-Format HIN format. It might also be a type that contains the country code and thus the boat comes from USA or Other . The serial number of the HIN is A26VP and is set by the boat builder. This boat or vessel has a Certification Date of (8) and a Model Year of 1998 with month of build (February) based on the formatting of your hull_identification_number (HIN) .
The manufacturer identification code (MIC) of your craft identification number (CIN or HIN) is WJO. This MIC (WJO) stands for the company name Wahoo Boats which is currently Out of Business. This boat manufacturer has other company names (WJO sometimes goes by these name(s) Wahoo Marine, , , or .
This company (Wahoo Boats) is owned by Alain Lacasse and is located at 4755 CAPITAL CIRCLE NW in TALLAHASSEE state of FL. It manufactured this vessel and placed you HIN or CIN on the hull. The Parent Company for this boat maker is BRUNSWICK FAMILY BOAT CO INC (). Wahoo Boats has started making boats, yachts and other watercraft as of 4/16/1996 12:00:00 AM and went out of business on (6/14/2005 12:00:00 AM) in the following country: .
Make sure to compare the date of boat manufacturing with the dates in which the company was actually in business.
The US Coast guard provides this comment about this watercraft manufacturer: 960416 Per Letter From Manuf Wahoo No Longer Part Of Brunswick Marine Group Now A Separate Division Of Brunswick; See (who) & (mgi). 1/10/97 Brunswick Closed Lincoln Al Plant And Moved It To The Bayliner Plant In Tallahassee. See Byq. Current Info As Of 971029 Drg. Other Company Names Indicate Brand Names Built At This Plant. 07/03/2001 Robalo Sold To Marine Products Corp. 07/03/2001 Robalo Sold To Marine Products Corp Oob Per Ppg.

Boat looks good with all the upgrades! Are you able to get up in the shallow water with that set-up? Power poles...love the idea but just not practical on my boat. Too much deadrise and I would probably end up in places too shallow if I decided to deploy them. Loved the Optima's, but when one started having issues at 5 years old, replaced them with Duracell AGM's. Two years later and they are still going strong.

Radar...one of those things, at least for me, is used only when needed. I ran it a lot when first installed to get comfortable using it, but its main purpose was when running in low light and fog. It has saved my butt numerous times when striper fishing in the winter and a fog rolls in, dropping visibility to almost nothing. I then use it primarily to keep track of other boats while on the water, then spotting channel markers on the gps overlay when navigating.

Fullthrottle, was that mileage from fishing the ocean??? I have not been hearing much going on, plus the wife has kept me busy every weekend since Christmas doing remodeling work.

You heard right about not much going on. Been out twice in the last few weeks. Great marks, but no hits. Remember when the bait would be so thick the fishfinder couldn't find bottom? That's when I'd catch more striper than I could keep on the edges of the bait, but all I see is small bait balls now. Water temp has dropped from 50 to 43, but no change in the bait or fish marks. Did see birds funneling down to the water and got excited. Turned out to be whales. Fun to watch, but I miss having striper on the hook.

Talked at the dock to a couple of fishermen that were out fishing near me. They didn't catch either. Sad thing was when I started about how Omega was taking all the bait, neither of them knew what I was talking about! Sure hope something changes soon. Maybe EPA will get involved when they realize Omega is stripping the bay of one of the fish needed to keep the bay clean. For sure the Virginia legislature isn't going to help.

Tight lines.

I know what you mean. Years ago, menhadden so thick the lines were jumping from bouncing off the fish, beehives of diving gannets, and limiting out in an hour. Never had to go any further than the Ramada or Golf Ball. Heck, one trip we dropped lines just past the jetty at Rudee, barely made it past the sea bouy, and had our limit in less than an hour! Now that the bait is all but gone, the fish have changed their migration habits to follow the food!

You would think Virginia Beach would be pushing this through the legislature to do something about Omega as they used to get a huge benefit from all of the money spent during ocean season. There were times that if you were not at Owls Creek before 6:00 am, you did not get to launch! Then it was off to Crab Creek and have to make the long run.

This is one of the few times I wish ASMFS would come in and take control over that whole mess!