Robalo Boating Forum

2440 95', MACERATOR PUMP works intermittent

grandcas

Hi all,

Any recommendation or experience on this MACERATOR PUMP (for fishwells tanks)? :yahoo_think:

this pump is working intermittent, I mean, sounds his electrical work and pump water for a few seconds 5 or 7, then stops, after some minutes starts again, looks to me is not working properly... probably the macerator pump is damaged...

note. Didn’t made any inspection to the pump, visual or electrical, find out this just running the pump during the cleanup work on dry marina, pumping out the excess of water.....

Any comment related to the same experience will be appreciated.

Thank you. :wave:

Edited by grandcas

I have had to replace my macerator several time and the new one is working ----- I THINK!! I have not tried it in a while. I have read that the one thing you DO NOT want to do is run a macerator pump dry. I usually fill my fish wells with some water and then pump them out.

I am looking for a momentary switch to put on my pump. Just like the one on the horn at the helm. I did that with the Aft Bilge Pump switch at the helm. I would turn it on after a trip to pump out and forget it. You can't hear it over he engines.

I also put a drain in my fish well line into the bilge (see photo) so I do not have to run the macerator just to clean rain water out of the fish wells. I can close the valve when using it for fish. I don't use it for fish much if Florida as I need a cooler with lots of ice in the heat we have here.

I would check all your electrical connections if it is just coming on and off when it is to be on. Something is loose I would think.

Hopefully someone else has seen this same issue.

• 2 months later...

grandcas, did you ever resolve the problem? i had similar issue with my 95 2440 after crwaling in bildge to test wiring for the pump i found the circuit breaker on the rear switch panel was intermittant no good. the reset button was like partially tripping, i had to push the button in all the way then it would work again. i found a replacement breaker in my marinas "loose" parts box. havent had an issue with it since. that was 3 weeks ago.

The key thing on these macerator pumps is to not run them dry. I just installed a momentary on switch on my fish well pump. Same sort of switch the horn has. I did the same of the rear bilge pump switch at the helm as I was always leaving it on.

Below is photo of my rear switch panel. I had bad breakers and could not find identical replacements so replaced them all with in line fuses. I filled the fuse holders with dielectric grease and have not had an issue in 10 years.

i am KING of the macerator blow out...replaced 5 in 2 years, i think...maybe more.

a) the sounds of a macerator...dpends on sureflo or the other make...if it goes from higher pitch whir to growl, it means u blew out the impeller...no suction...that yellow foam part is 35 bux to replace...just make sure you dont damage the gasket or u get no seal and u wasted your time reinstalling.

:yahoo_think: to truly test your macerator, run it with engine on...b/c if she just fades its probably due to battery stregnth fading if engine isnt running...or switch yer perkos to both.

c) DONT run it dry. period. ever...momentary switch is good idea.

d) the final trick....something my boat guy did to my boat (b/c i got tired of replacing it) is on the hose from macerator to the OUT port, put a loop in the line...that way water always gets stuck touching the impeller...eliminates the dry priming.

e) when it works/doesnt work mysteriously, thats usually an electrical problem...i'd swap out the switch first and then see what happens.

the loop you put in the line is the same you'd use for your dishwasher. I've got to see if the hose on my box is pliable enough that I can do that. The pump works but I have to prime it with the raw water wash down.

I like my fish box. It's big and when I'm lucky it can hold a lot of fish. It's one of the best features of our older boat.

Hopefully rockfish this weekend. Wooohoooo!

Rick

I know the pumps in a 2000 2240 are a real PITA . I am becoming intimate with them right now. Forward bilge is blowing breaker. Fresh water and wash down pumps not working and the Fish box pump is a Whale 220 that is kinda working but not really... :thumbsup:

And where are you hearing about the rockfish Rick ?

Edited by blueoval1

• 2 months later...

Hi folks, to close this topic.. :thumbsup:

I did a change to all my switch breakers, all of them were old and blocked with rust,

in specific the macerator switch breaker were in FAULT and the macerator also burned, I had repaired the macerator pump and placed a new "one moment switch" to prevent keep that switch ON for long time.....

thank you all of the comments.

;)

• 10 years later...

MACERATOR PUMPS have ALWAYS been a problematic once when we first put them in our boats.we sent out 4-5 to every boat we built that had one. They are not worth the hassles. Personally I would put screens over the drains and just pick up the mess  verses having to keep replacing them. Just my 2 cents worth.

• 5 months later...

I just bought a 1993 2440 and don’t even know what it has in it.  I have another boat that I put a gulper gusher  pump in.  So far so good.  That’s what will go in the 2440 if the pump is bad.