Robalo Boating Forum

1973 190 COFFIN BOX

KWALDECK

post-328-1260412805_thumb.jpgpost-328-1260412989_thumb.jpgpost-328-1260413058_thumb.jpgpost-328-1260413115_thumb.jpg post-328-1260413134_thumb.jpg

I am installing an aftermarket tank ( Moeller 43 gal ) in my 1973 190 . I set the tank in the coffin box and discovered the coffin box is 2 inches deeper in to front than the back. If i secure the tank in the way it is now, will the tank sit level when the boat is in the water ? Moeller rep said it should be ok . I really don't want to do this twice . Any help would be great.

Thanks Mr. Robalo for the e-mail .

Sorry the pics are not the best. It's my first time with pics ....

IMG_0983.JPGIMG_0988.JPGIMG_0993.JPGIMG_0994.JPG IMG_0995.JPG

I am installing an aftermarket tank ( Moeller 43 gal ) in my 1973 190 . I set the tank in the coffin box and discovered the coffin box is 2 inches deeper in to front than the back. If i secure the tank in the way it is now, will the tank sit level when the boat is in the water ? Moeller rep said it should be ok . I really don't want to do this twice . Any help would be great.

Thanks Mr. Robalo for the e-mail .

Sorry the pics are not the best. It's my first time with pics ....

Pics are great . BUT I thought about this long and hard and I just don't remember a coffin box being lower in the front ??????

Actually no one has ever mentioned it before and wondering if someone before you modified it ??????

I would make it level if I were to reinstall it otherwise the pick-up would not work properly when low on fuel not to mention loosing prime in snotty water.

Lets see what others feelings are about this as I just can't see why it would be lower in front.

So I am finally in bed last night (12:30) and what is dancing through my mind a fuel tank????? So now I am thinking we had a few molds for the R190 and am wondering if it was done due to the deck slope???

Put a level on the floor of the boat next to the coffin and using the trailer jack lower the bow until the floor is level and then put the level on the tank and check it. If it is level then it would be due to extreme deck slopping for water drainage. What I am thinking the deck didn't go down as well in the bow as the stern????

Lee...

They have always been in the stern even when the top of the pick-up is in the front. The actual pick-up tube goes down to the stern through the baffles in the tank.

Just a thought from the middle of the night. :innocent::lol:;)