Last spring I came across a 1996 Robalo 2120 that was destined to the junk yard by a local marina owner. I asked if I could have the boat for free and I was the proud new owner! It had been sitting for 5 years after being storm damaged and abandoned, so needless to say it has plenty of issues. But I enjoy a good project and the world was shut down due to covid so it gave me something to do. I am happy to get into extreme details if anyone has a particular interest in any step so feel free to comment and I'll elaborate.
First pictures are how she sat. Bent bow rail, missing t-top canvas, hull damage on the bow and starboard side.. totally neglected and bastardized.
Brought her to my local marina and got to work. I focused my efforts on the hull damage first at the bow and starboard sides. I took an angle grinder with a flap disk and ground out the damage until I got to good clean fiberglass under the gelcoat. Traced the pattern onto some plastic with exceedingly larger patches every 1/2" or so to build up the area. Layered 6oz glass with West Systems epoxy and fileted the area with thickened epoxy to get the bow shape back in order. After the patch cured I sanded it down with 80/120 grit for a smooth finish, color matched some gelcoat and painted it to look half-way decent. Wet sanded the gelcoat down with 200/400/600 grit for a smooth finish. Finished with a good wax job and she's water tight. Painted the bottom and removed all the weathered lettering/striping for a clean hull.
Not Robalo related but did some motor repairs. New high pressure & low pressure fuel pumps, timing belt & tensioner, injectors, VST service, exhaust leg replacement, cooling service, full tune up.. started on first crank!
Now that the motor was operational and the hull was water tight, time to hit the water! I had a t-top made up, gave the boat a deep cleaning and used the boat all summer!
Now we come to present day.. Boat is very bow heavy, the fuel tank is original and should be replaced, the wiring is a mess, the bow rail is bent, pulpit is chewed up, and the motor sits too low in the water for my liking. I plan to tackle these issues this winter. This past weekend I started at the bow. I removed the bow rail and pulpit with no plan to replace, bring the boat into the modern age looks wise. Then I took my circular saw, grinder, hammer and pry bars and removed the front lockers. Dug out about 150 pounds of foam underneath and plan to re-glass the deck flat. Maybe I'll add some bow seating down the line. But here is where I am at today!
Plans going forward are.. glass the new bow deck. Pull the t-top off and replace the fuel tank (maybe cut the deck under the tank and dig out that wet foam too..). Cut the transom off and raise it 6"-8". Rewire the entire boat. A bit ambitious but we'll see how it goes! I'll update the post as I go along