• 3 posts
  • Boat Type:1983 25' robalo cc

Posted 24 May 2010 - 07:20 AM

1969-1971 ROBALO
1971-1981 ROBALO-AMF
1982-1992 ROBALO-COBIA
1993-2000 ROBALO-BRUNSWICK
2001-Present ROBALO-CHAPARRAL

was there anything wrong with the cobia era besides the obvious someone told me there was some problems with the way the were made I have a 25' cc 1983 seems to be made well but I have not put it in the water yet bought it as a project...

#4 mrrobalo

mrrobalo

Admin

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,095 posts
  • Interests:Family,Fishing ,Boating, Helping others to get on the water again.
  • Boat Type:1969 ROBALO MARINE 19'

Posted 24 May 2010 - 08:06 AM

I can assure you your boat was made in a deferent area than the Cobias. We actually hired most of there workers (the plants were close enough I could bring one over on a forklift . Actually some of our building
techniques improved the boat (like a bilge area with raw water pick-ups etc.) We were more customer oriented (owners tournaments ,official boat of Walt Disney World (20 ROBALO patrol boats ) etc.

I would not worry as the were still TOTALLY FOAM FILLED when we had them.

Any specific questions just ask me. :D

4 GENERATIONS OF FISHERMEN,1 ROBALO Sammy Joe Quattry http://robaloboatowners.net/forums/

#5 katiegp

katiegp

Landlubber

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Boat Type:19' Center console

Posted 23 July 2010 - 10:03 AM

I see the 1999 19' I may purchase on Monday is in the Brunswick era. Is this ok? Are the other years better? The boat looks nice, but how was the construction at that time? Anyone know?

#6 mrrobalo

mrrobalo

Admin

• Administrators
  • 3,095 posts
  • Interests:Family,Fishing ,Boating, Helping others to get on the water again.
  • Boat Type:1969 ROBALO MARINE 19'

Posted 23 July 2010 - 03:55 PM

I was not there then and if I don't know the answer I will tell you and I don't know how they built there boats as far as lamination and the actual building schedgule as well as if they were totally hand laid up as prior to 1993 . I can say that after there first 2 years they stopped totally foam filled them and started using totally there hull and liner designes.

I am not badmouthing them in any way I just know we have always had a good following and it is shown in the fact that they are still being manufactured . We do have quite a few members with that era and they should be chiming in before the weekend is over . The best thing I can tell you is bring a flashlight and look everywhere it is hArd to get to that will show you how well the boat is construction is and I tell everyone looking at any brand boat. As far as the motor I would look for ant type of corrosion as well as bolt heads should be painted to the point of looking new. If they show signs of being removed then you can assume that part has been repaired. If possible do a compression check and thy all should be within a few pounds apart . If you can't have a survey done bring a friend with more boating knowledge. Two sets of eyes are better than 1. I usually watch the forum durring the day so you can ask from right there if your phone allows. Good luck

4 GENERATIONS OF FISHERMEN,1 ROBALO Sammy Joe Quattry http://robaloboatowners.net/forums/

#7 brandonizr

brandonizr

Landlubber

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:16 PM

1989 R1800 - How robust were the hulls built in 89?  I'm confused by all the info I'm reading....thanks

#8 2-N-TOW

2-N-TOW

Root Admin

• Root Admin
  • 4,085 posts
  • Interests:Anything boating related.
  • Boat Type:R2160

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:30 PM

If anything like my '88, nothing to worry about.  Just check the transom for any signs of water intrusion / rot, look at the bottom of the hull for any signs of cracks running the length of the hull indicating stringer issues.  The Robalos from that time frame had lots of fiberglass in the hulls (that is why they have a reputation for being a little on the heavy side) and the stringers/frames are well built.  I can assure you my 2160 can run in rougher stuff than I care to run in, and it shows no signs of any hull weakness.  

Dan
1988 2160 / 2003 Evinrude 225

Founding member of the Bad Shorts Club

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users