• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 FullThrottle

FullThrottle

Petty Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, Boating, Beach, Swimming.
    Grandkids and their interests.
  • Boat Type:Robalo R207

Posted 08 February 2018 - 07:02 AM

I'm hoping to get out more this summer and I want to head out a bit further, but do it more safely and try to keep some hours off the main engine. I've been looking at a yahama 9.9 high thrust to get the boat to trolling speed, but of course there is no performance data available that I can find other than 'hull speed'. Does anyone have any idea if my 'hull speed' would at least be near the low end of trolling for mahi and tuna?

I was also wondering if anyone has installed their own kicker and can offer advice on what to do or avoid. My plans to date are to get the engine, decide on a mounting plate or bracket to get it past the trim tabs, get the needed power and fuel lines and although it's expensive (more than my autopilot for the main engine) get a Garmin T1 autopilot to control speed and steering. I'm still not sure what else I'd need and any help here would be appreciated. I'm guessing I have to have at least an ignition switch to start it, as the Garmin doesn't do that, or shift gears, so something for the gear shift too?

Richard

powerboating.gif

Fishing Virginia Beach waters since 1960

#2 2-N-TOW

2-N-TOW

Root Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,563 posts
  • Interests:Anything involving boats, fishing,construction and home improvement work with my dad, trying to surf with my son, sharing my other son's love of aviation, radio controlled planes, playing with all the dogs in the house (3 at the moment), and sharing life's adventures with my wife!
  • Boat Type:R2160

Posted 08 February 2018 - 08:26 PM

I'm no expert, but trolling speed offshore is darn close to what we shoot for when looking for stripers.  I would guess 6 mph tops should be sufficient.  That 9.9 should have no issue accomplishing that.

Now for a dumb question...Why not use the existing autopilot on the  main engine?  Is it possible to lock the trolling motor, then let the main autopilot turn the main engine (even though it is not running)?  Seems like all you need is a rudder in the water and the autopilot could care less where the prop is located.

Dan
1988 2160 / 2003 Evinrude 225

Founding member of the Bad Shorts Club

#3 FullThrottle

FullThrottle

Petty Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, Boating, Beach, Swimming.
    Grandkids and their interests.
  • Boat Type:Robalo R207

Posted 08 February 2018 - 10:06 PM

I think the 9.9 should be able to go fast enough, just checking to see if anyone knows for sure. As for the steering, from what I read you want the kicker to turn for steering. I may try using the main for steering and lock in the kicker, but it appears from reading the forums that's not a good solution, but it might work okay for trolling. Have to check.

I'm not sure how all this will work out yet and I'm still thinking about a different boat in the future if the kicker isn't the right answer.

Richard

powerboating.gif

Fishing Virginia Beach waters since 1960

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users