asboats2002

Deck Hand

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Interests:Boating, Fishing, Water Sports
  • Boat Type:75' Robalo Slickcraft 236

Posted 24 January 2018 - 08:18 PM

OK- So 3M 5200 definitely will do the job, but many Hate when it comes time to have to remove something set in with 5200 or cringe when they need to remove it from something.....

I know Dan isn't fond of it and typically will try to steer away from using it because of the above...  

I have used it many times above and below the waterline with excellent results , but it is right that it holds so good that you can literally use it to bond your deck to your hull , ( and as long as you didn't just apply it over a dirty surface) and take the screws out and it will not separate !

3M 5200 is a Polyurethane type Sealant.  Other type Sealants are SMP (Silane Modified Polymers)  and Polyether Sealants. Silicones are primarily a flexible sealant NOT a glue type product.

OK  so now to the supposedly headache reliever for 5200..............  How can you remove it or release it....

If you will god to this site an do the reading, some claim this is how to do that, but my opinion is , these are NOT very good answers to the problem as some make it gooey an some only work some what.  Here's the site;  www.boatingmag.com/marine-solvents-for-removing-5200

In my search for the best answer to the problem, I came upon a New product called;   Unhesive  3M 5200 Remover

$14.95 + $6.95 shipping  in  8oz. spray bottle

Go to this site to read about it and Watch the Video;    https://store.marine...hesive-remover/

If this works as shown, many of us will no longer be afraid to use 5200 !!

I'm sacrificing my $21  and volunteering to try it for our good !!  I have ordered it an when it arrives, I will be doing some tests with it.

When finished, I will publish a follow up article, to let everyone know if it works as advertised.

Don 

The Dr. Ann   1975  R-236

The Dr. Ann

#2 2-N-TOW

2-N-TOW

Root Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,563 posts
  • Interests:Anything involving boats, fishing,construction and home improvement work with my dad, trying to surf with my son, sharing my other son's love of aviation, radio controlled planes, playing with all the dogs in the house (3 at the moment), and sharing life's adventures with my wife!
  • Boat Type:R2160

Posted 25 January 2018 - 09:52 PM

I got a good chuckle out of this  :yahoo_rotfl:

You are right.  I only hate the stuff because it does work good...actually too good!  I was just trying to help others out based on my experience and mistakes.  Plus, I had never heard of anything that would break the bond...lots of cutting and scraping was just part of the aggravation when dealing with a part bedded in 5200.

Please update us on how this works.  If it works as advertised, I will definitely have a different attitude towards 5200.

Dan
1988 2160 / 2003 Evinrude 225

Founding member of the Bad Shorts Club

#3 asboats2002

asboats2002

Deck Hand

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 01:00 AM

10-4  Dan

This will be miracle stuff, if it works like the video shows !!

I have some 5200 test strips in process an waiting for the stuff to arrive.

Don

The Dr. Ann

#4 asboats2002

asboats2002

Deck Hand

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 01:02 AM

Oh  forgot to say, I think the best part of this stuff (if it works ),  is that it is a Water Based product !!    NO SOLVENTS....

Don

The Dr. Ann

#5 asboats2002

asboats2002

Deck Hand

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 07:54 PM

OK  Dan,  Here's the follow - up for the  5200 release product.

7 Days ago I glued several things together with a fresh tube of  3M 5200 , and let it cure for a full 7 days.

Today I followed the instructions on the "UN-Adhesive spray bottle and I must say that I would rate this product an   A+  !!   I think  you will be able to use 5200 now an still sleep well at night !!!  :)

I've attached some pics of a sample removal of 2 pcs of fiberglass sheeting.  If it's a large area you may have to get the edges up an re spray where it couldn't penetrate, but mine came up clean after 2 sprays.  That was the amazing part, it left no residue to clean off...

Again, this is a water based product, so NO bad solvents to fool with !

I obtained mine from this site ;  https://store.marine...hesive-remover/

You can also obtain it directly from the Manufacturer at ;  www.un-hesive.com

Here's a little of what they say about the product;  

Un-Hesive™ is a patented product specifically
designed for the removal of cured polyurethane
adhesive residue from the use of sealants such as 3M
5200 Marine Adhesive Sealant™ and Sikaflex™.
When these sealants are used to add hardware to
your ship´s deck or make a repair, the cured adhesive
could only be removed mechanically. Un-Hesive "breaks
the grip" of these polyurethane adhesives without material
breakdown. The product can be sprayed on and just a
few minutes later the cured sealant can be peeled off
intact with no damage to the surface.

As a little more info for those not that familiar with using 5200, here's a couple things I learned from using it over the years.

1) If you have some product left in the tube when finished,  simply cap it  an place the tube in the refrigerator.  I have been able to keep it good for a year like that. When you re open it, it may have skinned at the top edge, I use a drill bit to re-puncture thru it an keep using. Then seal it up an back in the fridge til next time.  Actually you can do the same thing with tubes or bottles of Quick Glue, an they will last a very long time like that.

2) After you apply the 5200, you can cause it to skin over a little faster, by misting some water over it.

3) After applying it, if you want to use your finger to radius it, simply keep your finger wet an just lightly drag  it over it. OK don't laugh, sometimes if its a little job, I will simply spit on my finger an glide it over it to do the job.

The product is available in an 8 oz. spray bottle or a Gallon jug.

Hope this info helps us Robaloholics get it done a little easier.

Don

The Dr. Ann R-236  1975

Attached Files

The Dr. Ann

#6 FullThrottle

FullThrottle

Petty Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, Boating, Beach, Swimming.
    Grandkids and their interests.
  • Boat Type:Robalo R207

Posted 03 February 2018 - 04:05 PM

I'm impressed! Thanks for the information. Now I won't worry as much when the manufacturer says to use 5200 when mounting their product.

Richard

powerboating.gif

Fishing Virginia Beach waters since 1960

#7 2-N-TOW

2-N-TOW

Root Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,563 posts
  • Interests:Anything involving boats, fishing,construction and home improvement work with my dad, trying to surf with my son, sharing my other son's love of aviation, radio controlled planes, playing with all the dogs in the house (3 at the moment), and sharing life's adventures with my wife!
  • Boat Type:R2160

Posted 04 February 2018 - 09:15 PM

Same here.  I honestly would have never believed it unless it was from an un-biased source.  Thanks for taking the time to show this stuff is for real.

I suppose I should now temper my opinion on 5200!

Dan
1988 2160 / 2003 Evinrude 225

Founding member of the Bad Shorts Club

#8 asboats2002

asboats2002

Deck Hand

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 01:14 AM

Dan,

I'm just glad to know that you can get a good night's rest an not dream about the dreadful 5200  Monster !!  :))

Went to the manufacturers site and found some Customer Reviews about their use of the product, and also wrote one myself.

Below are some of the reviews;

Posted by Lorne Dyck on 26th Jul 2017

I've been trying to get the 3M-5200 sealant on my keelmounting bracket to release for 10 years with no success.
This product took 20 minutes to soften the sealant enough so it came out easily.
Other products that promised similar results were extremly toxic, and required breathing apparatus and hazmat gear.
All I needed for this was a pair of rubber gloves.

Posted by Steve Wenzel on 1st Jul 2017

I ordered this product to remove 3M 5200 from a boat transom. I had no luck with several other products but Un-hesive did the job with no damage to underlying paint. I soaked folded pieces of paper towel with Un-hesive, taped them as tightly as I could over the bolt holes overnight. Next morning I used a plastic putty knife to just lift the 5200 off. Removing the 5200 was easy!! WOW!

Posted by david on 4th May 2016

I had a underwater light that was in for two years with 3m 5200. I tried to get it off with severa tools. Couldn't even get an edge to pull up . Brass fixture on the hill. Sprayed this on , waited ten minutes and an edge pulled up. Sprayed more , waited another ten minutes and it pulled right off. Worked perfectly and removed the old 5200. Life saver. Did not do anything to bottom paint or hull.

Don

"The Dr. Ann"

The Dr. Ann

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users