• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#1 2-N-TOW

2-N-TOW

Root Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,563 posts
  • Interests:Anything involving boats, fishing,construction and home improvement work with my dad, trying to surf with my son, sharing my other son's love of aviation, radio controlled planes, playing with all the dogs in the house (3 at the moment), and sharing life's adventures with my wife!
  • Boat Type:R2160

Posted 04 January 2018 - 07:23 PM

Lets get one thing out there before this goes sideways....I am not looking for another boat at this time! 

This is all about fellow forum member Ribs and his journey to solve that dreaded disease two-foot-itis.  We are all aware of it and at some point will show symptoms of the dreaded infection.  Some people can control it better than others and deal with the small incremental changes, yet, we all know of others that take it to an extreme and embrace the philosophy of "GO BIG or GO HOME".  By the way, Ribs owned a 2160, and we had talked about things he did to his boat over the years prior to this latest exchange of messages.

All of this started back last November when I received a PM from Ribs.  There have been many back and forth conversations since then, a few bumps in the road, and some darn good information that will benefit anyone going down this road.  Based on what has transpired to date, I asked Ribs if it would be ok to start a thread for others to enjoy during the winter doldrums, and he agreed to it.  A lot of what will be posted is directly from the pm's between the two of us.  I will not post some of the links to the boats he looked at as they are still for sale.  Also, some of the messages had comments not related to the boat search, so I edited them out.

Now that the pleasantries have been addressed, let the fun begin!

Dan
1988 2160 / 2003 Evinrude 225

Founding member of the Bad Shorts Club

#2 2-N-TOW

2-N-TOW

Root Admin

• Members
  • 5,563 posts
  • Interests:Anything involving boats, fishing,construction and home improvement work with my dad, trying to surf with my son, sharing my other son's love of aviation, radio controlled planes, playing with all the dogs in the house (3 at the moment), and sharing life's adventures with my wife!

Posted 04 January 2018 - 07:25 PM

From Ribs...

Sent 15 November 2017 - 12:22 PM

Hey Dan,

I hope all is well with you and the family and you're wrapping up a great season.

I wrote a reply in one of the forums this morning that you and mrrobalo are talking in and I was wondering if that is something that you get a notification on when someone writes?  

The short of it is that I am looking at an old 2660 on Friday with a single 250 EFI Merc., and wondering if I've any chance of propping and jack plating that motor to push this barge well.  The owner says he gets 30 MPH out of it WOT and a 20 MPH cruise.  I wrote in the suzuki repower blog and gave more info.  I suppose I'm answering my own question that it's under powered but thinking in terms of the economy of a single, well dialed-in 250 HP motor, sans trying to break any speed records on the Merrimack River with a tunnell hull or anything like that (in your past)...

Let me know, thanks, Dan!

Dan

#3 2-N-TOW

2-N-TOW

Root Admin

• Members
  • 5,563 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 07:25 PM

My reply...

Sent 15 November 2017 - 07:53 PM

Just replied to your post.  Kinda of a series of thoughts regarding a big boat and single engine set-up.  As long as you approach it with restrained expectations and can handle giving up 15 mph, it may be do-able.

Regarding getting notified when someone else posts, click on the Follow this topic box in the upper right corner at the top of the thread.  Anytime someone replies, you will get an email notification.

Keep us informed on this adventure and post some pictures of the 2660.

Dan

#4 2-N-TOW

2-N-TOW

Root Admin

• Members
  • 5,563 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 07:29 PM

From Ribs...

Sent 15 November 2017 - 09:07 PM

Hey Dan,

Thanks for the reply, the advice and the post on the blogosphere!  

I'm with you, I bet this boat was originally a twin setup.  I don't want to write anything else public in the event this owner is seeing the stuff online (I'm always thinking).

So, I'll see it Friday and Friday I'll have my answers.  I've asked him to send me the HIN from his paperwork.  He said he had it surveyed a few years back and I'll be asking to look at that stuff Friday.  I'm thinking her takes $9K for it.  But I wonder how badly I'll miss that 15MPH when we water test.  i'm thinking I'll miss it.  I like 35-40+ in my 2160...

Seeing earlier comment about my always-thinking problem, I contacted a boat yard today offering a 1990 2660 with twin Zuki 200's (which are 2003's with no hours on them supposedly) and this boat hasn't seen water for five years and the motors were last fired two years ago for a long-distance buyer who wanted too much from the deal and it fell through, so I'm told.  I guess I'm game for any poor Robalo that needs some TLC...or maybe more than TLC in the case of this one. For the fun of it, here's the listing.  This listing is 12K, no trailer, but I've already lined up a guy selling a used 7500# tandem trailer for $1,800. :-)

My plan is to see this twin-zuki boat the weekend after Turkey Day when I return my son to New London, Ct.  The boat is in Shelton, CT.  The yard said, with a deposit, they would be willing to water test it (probably with portable tanks as the fuel is OLD in the tank) and welcomed a survey.  They'd like to sell it and get it out of their lot, so I'm thinking I offer 9-10K. Add the trailer, that's 12K.  But who knows the condition of it - it's been hard-up for five years!

I figure between seeing a 1985 2660 and (different plant built) 1990 2660 (which is the same plant that built my 1994 2160, I'll have a sense for whether I want to dive into a boat of this size.  I love the 2160, but it gets small once I put five/size people on it to anything...

o.k., enough out of me.  

Thanks!

Dan

#5 2-N-TOW

2-N-TOW

Root Admin

• Members
  • 5,563 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 07:32 PM

My reply...

Sent 15 November 2017 - 09:23 PM

I know where you are coming from on the 2160 getting small with a few people on it.  Ran into that problem on mine a few times.  If I was to make a jump in size, though, something in the 23-24 ft range would be enough for me.  My first requirement is still manageable to launch and retrieve myself as I like to go fishing at the spur of a moment and these end up being solo trips.

That twin Suzuki deal looks good!  As close as those two boats are in price, if those engines run fine, great!  Just home somebody drained the fuel system so there is no ethanol residue.  I suppose that responsibility will be on the seller as long as they understand the engines need to be in running condition for the sea trial.  Who knows...maybe the tanks were pumped and they are doing like you suggested and using portable tanks.

Have fun!

Dan

#6 2-N-TOW

2-N-TOW

Root Admin

• Members
  • 5,563 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 07:33 PM

From Ribs...

Sent 15 November 2017 - 09:36 PM

We think alike in the boat size department then - and my thought process is that if I'm "overwhelmed by the scale of the 2660" that I, too, like you said will be looking for a 2440 walkaround.  There's a couple in my state for sale right now, with twin 200's even, and the asking price is $11,900 on one of them. But they're original 1994 merc's two-stroke with 800 hours on them.

Here's the CL listings if you like.   (I have removed these from the post.)

I like the scale of this boat.  I'd rather it had twin 150's for better fuel consumption as I don't really need to fly a 24 foot boat like I used to fly my Banana 24' with twin 200's at 70MPH...but you can't be choosey at these numbers...

O.k. I'll check back after seeing the single 250HP boat this Friday...and i've thought maybe I buy this boat for $9K and trade-in the 250HP with my merc guy for a used pair of 200's Optimax Merc's or find a pair of Etec's...o.k., I'm giving this too much thought now...

Thanks, Dan!

Dan

#7 2-N-TOW

2-N-TOW

Root Admin

• Members
  • 5,563 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 07:36 PM

From Ribs...

Sent 16 November 2017 - 08:28 AM

Hey Dan just curious if you know of a site where you can look up the h i n of a Robalo and see what it was built with I know this is a Longshot but the single 250 boat I'm looking at tomorrow I have the h i n from the owner CROBB191C585.

Dan

#8 2-N-TOW

2-N-TOW

Root Admin

• Members
  • 5,563 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 07:36 PM

From Ribs...

Sent 16 November 2017 - 09:56 AM

Update - he answered over text that the boat was originally rigged with twins.

Still, I'd like to hear if there's a site to check HIN's....if you know....as I'll probably be looking at 2440's next!   :whistle:

Dan

#9 2-N-TOW

2-N-TOW

Root Admin

• Members
  • 5,563 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 07:38 PM

My reply...

Sent 16 November 2017 - 01:24 PM

I have looked and cannot find anything that would tie the number back to a specific factory; only manufacturer.  Try emailing Mr. Robalo.

Dan

#10 2-N-TOW

2-N-TOW

Root Admin

• Members
  • 5,563 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 07:39 PM

From Ribs...

Sent 16 November 2017 - 04:51 PM

Thank you.  I just wrote Mrrobalo.  Have a great night!

Dan

#11 2-N-TOW

2-N-TOW

Root Admin

• Members
  • 5,563 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 07:42 PM

My reply...

Sent 16 November 2017 - 08:18 PM

Cobia owned the Robalo name from 1982 thru 1992.  Remembering some of Mr. Robalo's comments, during that time frame some of the Cobia plant workers would work at the Robalo plant.  I believe it was located in Sanford, Florida.  This is the link I am referencing:

http://robaloboatown...hp?showtopic=21

Dan

#12 2-N-TOW

2-N-TOW

Root Admin

• Members
  • 5,563 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 07:45 PM

From Ribs...

Sent 17 November 2017 - 06:16 AM

Mrrobalo delivered as promised...a trivia bonanza...the hidden HIN...

Re: 2-N-TOW Robaloholic referral

Well glad you found us ,been a little preoccupied and haven’t been on forum lately.  The R2660 is a battle ready model and are hand built to take all we can and more. 

The one of the main questions would be “Has the fuel system been restored and when.  If you look into the inspection plate and if you don’t see any foam on it chances are it has.

Transom would be my next item to see and go over it looking for S/S Plates or stress cracks leaking and with the motor up  once up put your body weight on it and see if transom FLEXES  AT  ALL Not good at all. 

As far as the Hin  On ROBALO it is across the transom stb side by eye hook.  The hidden hin is in the anchor rode compartment   CRO serial number means when Cobia/ROBALO we’re building them in Sanford until the new plant in Talaco,Tenn and I left in 1992. We rigged only one like that with a New OMC V8 FOR OMC to test it. Needless to say we wouldn’t be building one with a single motor any time soon ( there were only a few ones to chose from..  Keep us abreast of your boat hunting  and enjoy your journey 

Sammy Joe Quattry

4 Generations of Fishermen, 1 ROBALO

Dan

#13 2-N-TOW

2-N-TOW

Root Admin

• Members
  • 5,563 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 07:47 PM

My reply...

Glad to see Mr. R replied.  He has been fighting health issues the past year...just had hip surgery this past summer and rehab has been slower than anticipated.  Looks like I was able to decipher enough out of that other thread to determine where it was built but did not realize they re-located to Tennessee that long ago...it must have been the last year they had the Robalo name.

Dan

#14 2-N-TOW

2-N-TOW

Root Admin

• Members
  • 5,563 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 07:49 PM

From Ribs...

Sent 17 November 2017 - 07:26 AM

Sammy is a good man, I can see.  Hip surgery is something everyone someone we all know goes through.  I'll probably need both knees some day...either from skiing the bumps up North or from pounding the waves in the powerboats as a kid...but, until then, there's boat repair to be done...

As I wrote to Sammy, I'll be swingin' from the lower unit of the 250 like a kid on a Jungle Gym to test the transom of this boat by noon today.  And I've thought a lot about talking this guy down to something like $7K out of the fact that this boat is basically being sold as "improperly equipped, improperly powered"...and that's a big knock on the value, NADA or otherwise speaking.  Probably one of the reasons the damn thing isn't sold yet...and there aren't a lot of 2660's around...

Happy Friday...

Dan

#15 2-N-TOW

2-N-TOW

Root Admin

• Members
  • 5,563 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 07:51 PM

My reply...

Sent 17 November 2017 - 08:16 PM

Keep me updated on how this saga progresses.

Dan

#16 2-N-TOW

2-N-TOW

Root Admin

• Members
  • 5,563 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 07:59 PM

From Ribs where he copied me on the emails between him and Mr Robalo...

Wouldn't think of doing anything less, Sir...and here's yesterday's exchange, which I'd appreciate any networking possibilities to folks on the interweb who know the ups and downs of 2003 EFI Zuki EFI outboards   :mobile:

Date: 11/17/17 10:03 AM (GMT-05:00)

To: "Mike R." <mike@kaseprinting.com>

Subject: Re: 2-N-TOW Robaloholic referral

Mike the single motor will work but it will be as thirsty as hell not to mention NO low end torque and it would be a little white knuckled going out a nasty inlet ( or back in ). So if getting one is a priority I would lean towards the one with twins. Taking off the top 1/2. of the tower is easy the only tec part is removing the cables going to the at the binical in lower station. Pull the 2 pins and the tower folds right into the cockpit for towing. I could flip it up by myself ( always happens when no one around to help you.any way you could keep the top 1/2 in storage and when you sell the boat that is the iceing on top.  

Good luck in your quest , and remember we all like BOAT PORN on the site.

Sammy Joe Quattry

4 Generations of Fishermen, 1 ROBALO

http://robaloboatowners.net/forums/

Sammy,

Your knowledge was of infinite value as I took a hard look at this single 250 Robalo 2660 today.

Seeing the proportions of this Hull and seeing the single motor on the back it was quick to see how the operating experience would be just as you described.

I would have enjoyed sharing with you some boat porn of my encounter, but I wonder who would have wound up more sad to see what I saw in reviewing this boat up close.  Maybe I will close that thought with what I saw was not for the Young in heart and mind! In short, a very unloved and disused and uncared-for rig requiring an extreme renovation.  Nevermind the transom was

braced and reinforced, d-u-n.

But I did accomplish one thing, which is being interested in looking at the next 2660 in Shelton Connecticut with the collapsible Tower and twin 200 EFI Suzuki's.

In that I am going to look at that rig a week from this Sunday I have a question for you to ponder and I wonder if there are other folks that could come to my aid in answering this somewhat elementary question. The yard hand that I spoke to about the next 2660 said that the boat has been in the yard unshrink-wrapped for more than 10 years.

I asked him if the interior is a wreck and he said not really but it's a project.  I asked him if the motors have always been pickled he said yes and I asked him if he had pumped the fuel tank and he said yes. So now I understand why the motors are 2003 with only about 100 hours on them.

Propulsion having been addressed for the moment in terms of the motors being in a time capsule, my question for you is really about the hulll. What goes wrong with a hull sitting on yard stands for over a decade?

You can see I'm obviously intrigued by the concept of picking up a 1990 Hull that only has about 14 seasons of use. At the same time, I have to think that all of the through hullls need to be rebedd and then there's all the rubber lines in the boat  to contend with whether that be fuel or  water plumbing, ed anything under the water line needs to be reset and the motors need to come off and go back on the transom, Etc. For the same reasons of fresh sealant. And what about all the water piping and the like in the hulll?

I guess what I'm asking for is some sense for what I might be faced with that I'm not going to be able to figure out through my own inspection camera and flashlight efforts or that a surveyor isn't going to know about because he doesn't know the way a Robalo is constructed. 

This aside everything else is cosmetic and is something I can see and touch and assess for myself as to whether I really want to take this boat and get her back afloat. Notwithstanding whatever I'm going to learn about the outboards sitting for over a decade, which is a whole nother universe.

Thanks very much,

Dan

#17 2-N-TOW

2-N-TOW

Root Admin

• Members
  • 5,563 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 08:00 PM

From me...

Sent 18 November 2017 - 08:20 PM

With that first boat...things happen for a reason!

On the next one, sounds like you already have the "punch list" figured out.  Check caulk seals around all thru-hulls.  Fresh water lines may need replacing, but fuel lines are probably shot (dry rot) after sitting so long with no fuel in them.  Also a good chance they were not ethanol resistant.  As ong as they can prove those engines function, then great.  Be sure if you sea trial that they can hit max rated rpm...any type of fuel restriction due to trash in the system will prevent this from happening.  

Dan

#18 2-N-TOW

2-N-TOW

Root Admin

• Members
  • 5,563 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 08:01 PM

Ribs reply...

Sent 19 November 2017 - 08:10 PM

Thanks for all of your help and advice!

Before I go check out the twin Zuki 2660, today, I went to checkout a 2000 2640.  This because it's price is cheap, $14,900, but with 2000 200 Opti's and one they say probably needs a power head.  And the boat is overall not horrible cosmetically....it's quite gorgeous in-fact.

But when I got up on top and started to pop the deck plates (Which were leaky)  I could see this was really no Robalo.  It's written online that this is the years that they used WAHOO hulls, and they weren't kidding.  I know it's a solid hull, running the propriety EFS hydro-lift design with reverse lifting strakes (for lack of better description) very reminiscent of the Potter designed SEACRAFT, with more subtle reliefs in the hull than the SEACRAFT.  I hear this hull rides great and I can see it would.

Anyways, I want your advice if I could on the photo's I just posted in two galleries called Mystery 2000 2640 and Mystery 2000 2640 #2.  I get that the wahoo hulls weren't fully foamed.  But this hull seems to have fallen victim of "the deck draining into the hull and the hull roasting in it's own humidity and moisture".  But take a look at the gallery images.  Lots of black mold or whatever you want to call it - everywhere rear of the cabin bulkhead.

The images progress from underside of the hull to the motors to the interior cabin forward bilge (where the shower and the cabin collect water), to the fuel tank access at the rear, to the breaker panel in the rear where the batteries are, to the fuel tank access at the front, to the view through the side access panels to the under deck and ending up in the rear bilge area where there are a couple of water puppies and you see the Rule 15000.

Take a look.  What do you think? For a 17 year-old boat (that probably lived it's life on a mooring), it seems over-grown to me.  And, as I looked at the quality of the wiring, the heft of the rigging, the water pressure piping, the shore power wire routing, all of the wire routing, and all of the stuff that makes for the longevity of a boat, I walked away with the feeling that this boat is a WAHOO/Chapparrel, a mid-level build boat.

Or am I just a snob now that I have had a fully-foamed brunswick-over-built 2160?  I rapped on the 2640 hull and it sounded hollow, but not weak.  I got home and rapped on my hull - rock solid, thud sound, no matter where I hit and the side of the hull didn't shudder a bit.  Whereas there was a little shudder when I wacked the 2640 with my fist.

Maybe I'm being overly critical. But as I looked over this boat for over an hour, with no one around, I thought about what I would be faced with figuring out this boats wiring schematic and seeing that many things on it already don't work because they are corroded and frozen or cracked or broken, depending on what I saw. 

The boat is" very pretty up on top" for it's age.  it'd be easy to fall for the hardtop, the large spacious cabin, the twin sinks, plumbed toilet, dinette area, galley, the almost 9' beam, the large walkaround forward area and the generous scale of the rig as it tilts the scales at 6200 with twins, I hear.

But, what I saw underneath made me say that I bet the older foamed-in robalos aren't built "crazy confusing underneath" like this one was.  That they are designed simply (like it or not) and the simplicity is what makes them timeless.

I've rambled badly, but you can see I don't want to pick-up "so much of a fixer-upper" and regret that I should have known better and walked away.  All of this, and I don't know what those Opti's REALLY need yet...

Over to you...thanks, Dan!

Dan

#19 2-N-TOW

2-N-TOW

Root Admin

• Members
  • 5,563 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 08:03 PM

Ribs reply...

Sent 19 November 2017 - 08:39 PM

Postscript - to mix it up, I called and left a message on this baby on the Jersey Shore...a 1995 2660 - this one has the raised foredeck (compared with the models that Sammy built - the Twin Zuki, included) and that modification is giving 6" more head room in the cabin in the area forward of the deck hatch.  And it has an updated cabin design.  

Sounds great, although, I think I'm seeing that these old 3.0 liter 225's EFI are about as fuel-thirsty of a pair of old outboards I'm going to find...

Dan

#20 2-N-TOW

2-N-TOW

Root Admin

• Members
  • 5,563 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 08:04 PM

From me...

Sent 19 November 2017 - 08:46 PM

Well...those motors are like the carbed Johnson and Evinrudes.  As long as you feed them a good mix of oil and gas, they are pretty much bullet proof.  Just remember that a 225 will have an average fuel burn of 22.5 gallons an hour at WOT. 

For what it is worth, I like the Suzuki set-up better if everything checked out good. 

Dan

#21 2-N-TOW

2-N-TOW

Root Admin

• Members
  • 5,563 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 08:05 PM

From me...

Sent 19 November 2017 - 09:41 PM

Dammit...my other post commenting on those pictures didn't make it!

Too many yellow flags in those pictures.  For starters, it looks like the owner is not too anxious to sell.  What is with the standing water around the thru hull?  150838 - that electric motor does not have many cycles left with the casing looking like that.  Not sure if that bottom paint may have caused more issues that protecting that thru hull strainer if it was anything other than bronze.  Also looks like the water intake grills are greatly reduced due to the multiple coats of paint.  Something is up where both of those trim motors have rust stains.  Has the bottom been partially blasted?

The moisture around the tank would not bother me much since it looks like there is proper drainage for water from the coffin box (Tanks not foamed in from what I can tell).  

Keep looking...you can always come back to it if you change your mind.  Fortunately, with these older boats, it is more of a buyer's market than seller's market.

Dan

#22 2-N-TOW

2-N-TOW

Root Admin

• Members
  • 5,563 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 08:06 PM

Ribs reply...

Sent 20 November 2017 - 07:49 AM

Thank you for validating my nervousness about this rig.  

Yeah, the standing water on the thruhull was weird because there is a divider between that puddle and the puddle that the bilge pump/float are located in.  Maybe there was a pass through that needs a cleanout...or someone needs to create one properly!

I'd be surprised if those water puppies even work.  And one is the crapper pumpout and one is the fresh water pressure, from what I could tell. 

I ran the trims up and down and, even with both battery switches set to ALL, the right motor was turning faster than the left on the up-swing...

Couldn't get the trim tabs to work, no matter what I did with the ignition keys or batteries - I think those are junk.

The bottom had been pressure washed for sure, and many times - they call that "yard maintained"!!!

You're right about the tank - free air all around.  That goes for multiple cavities in the hul - there's nothing there...no foam, just water pipes or wires running all over the place...

Take a look at the transom photo of the two motor mounts.  there's white hull all the way around the motor mounts on te transom, like that is where the dealer taped-off and stopped painting - almost like these motors aren't original, but the serial numbers are 2000's and the motors didn't look too bad under the cowlings for their age.  Speaking of the transom, I like the layout on this boat as it is a full transom with twin fish doors...whereas the older 2660's are a cut transom with the motors on it and the usual ocean splash flip-up door...or so I think that's what I see on the twin 3.0 225's 1995.  Maybe not the case on the 1990 2660 - can't tell yet!

Yep, moving on to the 1990 with twin Zuki "time capsule" this coming Sunday.  And I hear you on the 1995 with twin 3.0 225's. I like the cabin layout and extra head room is all...

In closing, can I request that you delete those two photo albums I posted by the end of the week.  I wrote to Sammy as well and I email-sent him about eight of the worst photos to see and comment.  He said he liked boat porn - not sure if this is porn!  Reason I want to delete those albums as there's photo's in there that narrow the mystery down to that exact boat and location and I did all of that without permission - B&E...  And there's probably a yard camera that recorded me crawling all over the boat for two hours...Checkmate.

Thanks and talk soon...     

Dan

#23 2-N-TOW

2-N-TOW

Root Admin

• Members
  • 5,563 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 08:07 PM

Ribs reply...

Sent 20 November 2017 - 07:31 PM

Well, toss the twin zuki package into the drink...

I spoke with a very knowledgeable suzuki guy at a ship near me.  He opened his response about the motors with, "well, you're taking a 100% risk paying any money for those motors since Suzuki discontinued making parts for those motors 15 years ago".

He went on to say that if I could get the boat for the value of the hull (that's about $6K according to NADA) then I could repower with 200 HP 4-strokes for about $30K.  Not that I'd do that, I won't. And I don't think that hull would like the added weight.

So I think I'm done with the time capsule 1900 2660 with the tower (damn!).  No wonder nobody wants it.  YThe owner probably thinks around 12K is a good deal.  It's not.  I went online to boats.net and checked the parts diagram.  Everywhere the DT200 is listed is says "part discontinued".

The zuki guy also went on to pontificate, "if they raise the ethanol to 15%, all two-strokes are going to be defunct as most are struggling running on the 10%".  This got me thinking that if I'm going to keep it cheap, maybe I ought to get out of the outboard mind frame (because 4-strokes are a fortune, never mind a pair of them) and look for a repowered single I/O setup, which, duh, is 4-cycle...I don't know... 

On the 2640 I sent you yesterday, the power head is a $5-$6K endevour on this age of an OPTI I heard today from my Merc. guy.  The boat's listed for $14.9, no trailer.  The boat needs help beside the possibility of needing a power head as seen.   And I located a good trailer for it $1,800.  The numbers are adding-up in the wrong direction.

And an almost identical 2000 2640 just sold in NY (it's still on boat trader) with a well-running pair of Yammi 250 OX66's for $16.2K, no trailer.  The guy answered me that he had rewired the boat, pumps, and switches because his boat was a mess when he got it.  Not surprised.

I haven't heard back from the NJ Enclave on that twin 3.0 225 1995 2660. I think my boat hunting days may be winding down for 2017...

Dan

#24 2-N-TOW

2-N-TOW

Root Admin

• Members
  • 5,563 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 08:08 PM

From me...

Sent 20 November 2017 - 08:10 PM

Damn depressing.  I am surprised to hear that Suzuki does not keep an inventory of parts for those older motors.  

If they raise the ethanol to 15%, outboards are gonna be the least of our worries.  Cars built before 1998 are going to have similar issues, too, as they were set up originally to run 100% gas, and there have been issues with fuel delivery (gaskets, fuel hose, and sealants that are normally gas resistant but not able to handle ethanol).

Unfortunately, nothing associated with boats are cheap.  My experience has been if it a good deal at this moment,m I end up paying for it at a later date.  Who knows...a unicorn may still pop up!

Dan

#25 2-N-TOW

2-N-TOW

Root Admin

• Members
  • 5,563 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 08:10 PM

Ribs reply...

Sent 27 November 2017 - 07:19 PM

Well, the trip to see the twin Zuki's 2660 was a complete bust.  Transom flexed when I jumped on one of the motors and the whole boat is pretty much an abondoned wreck lost in a downward spiral time warp

I made the drive from New London to Shelton, CT thinking that if the hull and rigging were worth starting-off with, I could negotiate on the basis that the motors were basically disposable on CL for parts value and drop money on a used pair of motors to repower (this was the idea I had, anyway).

I'll post some pics in a new photo folder called "1990 2660 for parts".  That's what I told the sales guy today - he'd be better parting this boat out or giving it to a salvage yard.  I've never seen a boat so butt brown dirty from years of abandonment!

Which, you guessed it, brings me to the next boats I'm looking at.  Drum roll, I'm going to see a 1987 Tiara Pursuit 2600 Cuddy with twin 1998 200 HP Evinrude Ocean Runners with about 400 hours on them.  You like your carbed 225 Johnson, yes? 

Here's the link to the CL ad.  So far, the guy's answering questions correctly and this boat is reasonably priced.  We'll see when I get there.  The cockpit sole looks a bit worn-out in the photo's.  He says it cruises at 25 MPH at 8-10 GPH (I think that's per motor) and tops out at 50...

(Link removed)

I'm also looking at two Grady Whites - a 1993 25' Sailfish (with the CV2 Hull) with twin Yammi 200's both with recently re-powered power heads on a tandem trailer.  And a 1997 268 Islander with 2003 twin 225 Yami's (original powerheads with about 400 hours on them, supposedly) with no tralier.  Both of these boats are now asking $20K - a little out of my price range, but worth comparing in looking at them as turn-key.

(links removed)

Only 28 days till Christmas - still plenty of boat hunting to do.  By the way, I've got size people who've called over the past size weeks and are interested in looking at my 2160 if I find something else convincing enough to make me want to let her go - goes to show this rig is desirable!

Dan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users