vic3094

Landlubber

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, cruising, boat maintenance
  • Boat Type:2006 R245 twin 150

Posted 18 December 2017 - 06:59 PM

I have a 2006 R245 that was brought from Florida to Seattle which is now showing up water leaks inside the cabin. Water is getting into the forward and starboard storage lockers and appears to be seeping down the fiber glass interior and under the cushions on both the port and starboard sides forward of the portholes. I haven't found any drips and the cushions are dry on top. Does anyone have ideas on how to track down the leaks ( there are no water tracks to follow) or what might be causing them? The only things outside are the bow railing and cleats. The hatch is good. Thanks.

#2 2-N-TOW

2-N-TOW

Root Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,563 posts
  • Interests:Anything involving boats, fishing,construction and home improvement work with my dad, trying to surf with my son, sharing my other son's love of aviation, radio controlled planes, playing with all the dogs in the house (3 at the moment), and sharing life's adventures with my wife!
  • Boat Type:R2160

Posted 18 December 2017 - 07:08 PM

First guess is what you have identified.  I would bet that the water is seeping down one of the fastener holes where the caulk has deteriorated.  Start with removing the fasteners and squirt some marine grade silicone sealant in the hole, then re-fasten.  You want to have a little sealant ooze out the top of the screw hole, indicating the void is full.  DO NOT USE 3M 4200 or 5200 sealant!  (You do not want the fasteners to become a permanent part of the boat.)

Dan
1988 2160 / 2003 Evinrude 225

Founding member of the Bad Shorts Club

#3 GreyR245

GreyR245

Landlubber

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Boat Type:2008 Robalo R245

Posted 27 January 2018 - 06:19 PM

Hello Vic,

I suspect you dont have a leak at all. It is simply condensation. I was experiencing the same thing. I was convinced I had a leak too. I looked and looked, but found no leaks whatsoever. I thought for sure I had some type of leak because I would find what I thought was a considerable amount of water in the forward hatch. Another boater suggested I put a couple small damprid containers in the cuddy. That did the trick. No more water in the forward locker and my cushions no longer felt damp. Its an easy and cheap fix. Hope this helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users