ReelPlumber

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,139 posts
  • Interests:Offshore Fishing
  • Boat Type:43' Viking Convertible

Posted 23 August 2017 - 08:41 PM

Kathy, myself and another couple are heading to Green Turtle Cay in the Abaco area of the Bahama's on the 26th. It's about a 170 nautical mile one way trip from Fort Pierce. We are hoping the weather cooperates but it looks like it might be a rainy trip. Ill try to post pics while there if not ill share them when I get back. Our plans are to fish, lobster dive, relax and have a few adult beverages.

The boat is all ready to go and so are we.

I'll keep you posted.

#2 2-N-TOW

2-N-TOW

Root Admin

• Members
  • 5,563 posts
  • Interests:Anything involving boats, fishing,construction and home improvement work with my dad, trying to surf with my son, sharing my other son's love of aviation, radio controlled planes, playing with all the dogs in the house (3 at the moment), and sharing life's adventures with my wife!
  • Boat Type:R2160

Posted 24 August 2017 - 10:37 PM

Good luck on the weather and take lots of pictures for the rest of us to enjoy!  And try to stay out of trouble  :yahoo_rotfl: .

Dan
1988 2160 / 2003 Evinrude 225

Founding member of the Bad Shorts Club

#3 2-N-TOW

2-N-TOW

Root Admin

• Members
  • 5,563 posts
  • Interests:Anything involving boats, fishing,construction and home improvement work with my dad, trying to surf with my son, sharing my other son's love of aviation, radio controlled planes, playing with all the dogs in the house (3 at the moment), and sharing life's adventures with my wife!

Posted 02 September 2017 - 06:55 AM

So how was the trip?

Dan

#4 ReelPlumber

ReelPlumber

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 3,139 posts
  • Interests:Offshore Fishing
  • Boat Type:43' Viking Convertible

Posted 02 September 2017 - 02:41 PM

Well as normal on the Lindsay vacations things didn't start out or go as planned.

Kathy and I went to our friends house to pick them up and head to the boat, we were 2 hours late do to some payroll issues Kathy was resolving at her work. We made it to the boat and while the girls went to Publix Mike and I loaded the boat and packed on 340lbs of ice. We all went to dinner, came back to the boat, had a few adult beverages and went to bed early as we had planned to leave the dock at 5am.

Around 1:30 am we woke up to it being warm and stuffy in the rooms due to the AC's not working. I thought ok, no problem, just sucked up some trash in the strainer so let clean it out. After getting down in the engine room and cleaning out the strainer and turning the AC's back on the water cooling pump wouldn't start. Well no big deal we just won't get a 5am start and at 8am we will run up to WM and get a pump. Nope none in stock can have it by Tuesday. Thank god there is a marine liquidator place a mile away so we went there and found a brand new one for cheap. Got back to the boat got it installed and headed out at 10:30 am.

With getting a much later start we managed to get into some nasty wind and storms that continued to grow as we went along. After about 5 hours into it we decided we had enough and wanted to get onto the Bahama bank (the Bahama bank is a huge shallow area ranging about 2-40 feet deep that can be navigated with the proper maps). From the area we were at and wanting to get on the bank meant we had to go into a head sea that was nasty. video clip After trying to get on the bank in hopes of smaller seas we then decided that was not the thing to do so we then turned back to deeper water and chugged our way east till we got behind Walkers Cay and were able to get to Rosie's Place on Grand Cay about 6:30. OMG! what a dump...but we were out of the winds and parked for the night.

The dock hand helped us get tied off for the night and got the Customs lady to come to the boat to check us in. We asked about a place to eat and he told us that Rosie's had the only restaurant on the island. We asked if they were still serving food and he said yes but you should do take out. We explained we wanted off the boat for a bit but he said again we should do take out. We told him we would still like to get a drink and he said that was fine but we should get it to go. WTF? As we walked into the restaurant bar area to order all the locals were looking at us like we were aliens. We ordered food to go and had a drink while waiting. We went back to the boat and slept with one eye open. The next morning we got up want to get some diesel (only a 100 gallons as I heard their fuel wasn't the cleanest) and be on our way. No one on the island would make a decision without talking to Rosie first. Mike and I went to talk to Rosie to pay our slip fee and get some fuel. We paid the slip fee, got the boat and went to the fuel dock. 100 gallons = $585.00. :wtf2: It appears that Rosie is the kingpin of the island but you thought you just met Fred Sanford at his junk yard. Anyways we got our fuel and got out of there and headed towards Green Turtle Cay.

The winds had slowed from the first day and it was a beautiful ride heading to GTC across the bank. We reached our destination and what a difference from Rosie's. The Bluff House Marina was very nice and we were the only boat on the dock. The dock master meet us and helped with fuel and getting into our slip. We checked in got a tour of the place and some adult beverages and then a nice dip in the pool. After a couple of hours our golf cart showed up so we could tour the island later that week.

Day 3 we took the boat over to the next Island (No Name Cay) and anchored offshore. The winds had picked back up a bit so it was a chore to get the anchor to hold. In the process the windlass Fleming broke and the rope was getting hung up. After about an hour or so of repairs we got the anchor to hold and I took the 2 kayaks off the bow and splashed them into the water and tied them to the transom. As we are getting our stuff ready to go feed the famous swimming pigs on the island Ginny notices one of the cushions that the kayaks rest on to protect the bow gelcoat was floating in the water. I jumped in to retrieve it and as was swimming after it the wind and current kept pushing it further away. When I finally reached it there was no way I was going to make it back to the boat so I just kept heading to the Island. I sat on the island talking to the pigs as I waited for Kathy to meet me there. Once she got there and helped another boater (that let his boat drift onto the beach) get his boat back into the water we started feeding the pigs. I held my hand down to let the pig sniff if like you would a dog and I'll be dammed if it thought my finger was a cracker and bit me. I jerked my hand back and now bleeding like a stuck pig Kathy and I paddle back to the boat. I need stiches so I get Kathy to get out our first aid kit and I was going to suture it up. Ginny is a nurse and was going to do it for me but without a numbing agent we decided to use steri-strips. We then headed back to the dock for more relaxing and adult beverages.

The rest of the trip was nice and relaxing and we got to tour the island on golf carts and swim and snorkel in lots of beautiful places. One thing we did learn was that late August through late October most of the Island is shutting down or closed for hurricane season so we missed a lot of the local food establishments.

Mike and Ginny flew home on Thursday to make the UCF football game and Kathy and I headed back that day about 12:30 pm to try to beat the winds that we increasing on Friday. We made it back safe and the boat ran great. We only had about 2-1/2 hours of running in the dark coming home so it wasn't too bad.

Enjoy the pics.

Attached File  20170826_190230.jpg   81.89K   6 downloadsAttached File  20170827_180420.jpg   78.85K   9 downloadsAttached File  20170828_161155.jpg   118.78K   7 downloadsAttached File  20170828_161246.jpg   107.5K   4 downloadsAttached File  20170829_065359.jpg   103.34K   4 downloadsAttached File  20170829_111349.jpg   116.13K   4 downloadsAttached File  20170828_161246.jpg   107.5K   4 downloadsAttached File  20170829_065359.jpg   103.34K   4 downloadsAttached File  20170829_111349.jpg   116.13K   4 downloadsAttached File  20170829_112747.jpg   229.1K   4 downloadsAttached File  20170829_113937.jpg   96.92K   5 downloadsAttached File  20170829_114059.jpg   82.48K   5 downloadsAttached File  20170829_125335.jpg   102.57K   6 downloadsAttached File  20170830_145303.jpg   85.7K   6 downloadsAttached File  20170830_093206.jpg   122.08K   4 downloadsAttached File  20170830_163556.jpg   116.08K   5 downloadsAttached File  20170831_144747.jpg   132.59K   4 downloadsAttached File  20170831_191152.jpg   78.9K   4 downloadsAttached File  20170831_200625.jpg   87.91K   3 downloadsAttached File  20170831_200822.jpg   42.37K   4 downloads

#5 2-N-TOW

2-N-TOW

Root Admin

• Members
  • 5,563 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 09:24 PM

Why can't you have a boring vacation like regular people without all the damn drama?

That crossing east looked bad!  I hope there was no chumming involved.  Looks like a fun run to the back of Grand Cay and Rosie's after Googling it. Sounds like the owner is damn proud of their establishment, forget about the visitors.  If that was the only bad spot on the entire trip, then good!

The pig bit your finger  :yahoo_rotfl: ?!?  What the hell were you calling him, PorkChop?  This has the potential to give your shorts a good run in the future.

The pictures look great.  Honestly, being able to travel like that and just get away and do things with no set plans each day is what it is all about.  The mis-guided adventures along the way make it that much more memorable.  Think about it; 10 years from now you will still remember the pig incident as much as the other things you guys did on the trip.

Just glad to hear everything worked out and you are back state-side again.  

Dan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users