Robalo Boating Forum

Transducer Placement

FullThrottle

I am replacing or adding to a thru hull B60 with a transom mounted Garmin GT52 to get CHIRP, clearvu and sidevu. Right now it will be a replacement for the B60, but if gas prices improve and I can go offshore more, I may add a GSD 25 so I can have both transducers working.  My issue is placement. In the picture I've marked position 1 and 2 as likely places for the transducer and I think #1 would likely be best. Looking for what you think and if somewhere else might be better.

transducer.jpg

#1 is going to be the best location.  It is far enough away from the motor to not cause any interference and since it is a skimmer type transducer, water flow should not be impacted.  I would be afraid of using #2 as that water will be more aireated at speed and could possibly affect display quality and loss of bottom.  

Finally got it completed today and took it out and tested. No loss of bottom except on one fairly severe turn to port. Otherwise great. Thanks for your input and that's where I put it.

TransducerInPlace.jpg