Robalo Boating Forum

2440 1995 Anchor Nav light replacement

fred

My anchor light turns on with consistency, but the navigation light turns on and off. It also does not turn on instantly when power is switched on. The red and green nav light on the bow work constantly with operation of the switch. The nav light festoon bulb burns out frequently.  So I feel the problem is in the anchor light pole or the fixture on top of the pole. I haven't found any replacement of the curved pole and the fixture holding the lights and bulbs. Any idea of where I can replace the pole and light fixture?

robalo anchor light.JPG

robalo anchor light a.JPG

Try replacing the filament bulb with an led replacement.  Waves take a toll on standard incandescent bulbs.

• 4 weeks later...

LED bulb is definitely brighter but after a few trips in rougher water, the connection is lost more often again. So I guess the electrical connection in the old pole and base need to be replaced. Is there a bend pole available on the market? Or can I purchase a straight pole and using an electrician's bender for conduit, bend the pole to fit the boat?

I was really hoping it was the bulbs and not a connection.  

I would remove the pole from the boat and remove the old wiring.  Hopefully that will help identify the issue.  Replace the old wire with new tinned wire and re-use the old pole.

I think you are on the right track about going with a straight section of aluminum conduit and using a bender if you decide to go that route.