Robalo Boating Forum

Rebuilt outboards/Question for Dan

John and Laura Tiger  rebuild 2 stroke carbureted outboards. I saw their ad in a free fishing magazine and called and he called back with an offer. I googled them (actually Duckduckgoed them) and found only 5 star ratings. He's also written articles for Boating magazine and BoatUS. Have you heard of him?  They will rebuild a 20" 90's vintage Evinrude in 200 hp configuration using the larger 3 liter block not the smaller 2.5 liter and give a 1 yr warranty on it. It comes with a new oil injection pump, new decals and a choice of 3 colors. This will be about 1/3 the cost of a new 4 stroke. I'm about sold on this idea but I wanted to put it out there to you Dan and any other interested parties to weigh in.
One other question for Dan: Do you buy your ethanol free gas from the Southern States CoOp in Windsor?

Thanks, Jeff

Ok...I'm gonna catch hell on the gas.  Around here, I fuel up at the Murphy's station in front of Walmart since they are normally 10-12 cents a gallon cheaper than other places selling ethanol blend.  But, I am normally getting 40-50 gallons at a time, so it adds up.  Plus, I normally burn that blended crap out fairly quick or it gets mixed with non-ethanol anytime I am heading down to the beach.  Then I normally hit the station in Smithfield for the good stuff.  Anything left in the tank about this time each year gets pumped out and my boys have no problem running it in their cars....heck, they look forward to the free gas!  It is ironic that neither you or me have any stations within 10 miles of the houses that sells non-ethanol and we have to head out to the country for it.

What little I read sounds like they have it figured out on the older 2 strokes.   The name sounds familiar, I just cannot remember if I met John a long time back when I raced boats.  Looking at his facebook pictures was like taking a trip back in time.  He has a picture from Leonardtown, MD of Raynor Blair SST 120 / Champ boat (#835 Texaco boat).  The motor on that boat is a work of art and I have a picture of it around here somewhere...also posted that picture couple years back.

On engine displacement, per 1995 Evinrude brochure, the 150 and 175 were the 2.5 liter blocks.  200 and 225 were the 3 liter blocks and weigh 450 lbs for the 20" shaft up to 471 for the 30 inch shaft.  What engine parts are new?  I am assuming new crankshaft bearings, connecting rods inspected with new wrist pins and bearings.  Is he putting in new pistons, too?  Heads can easily be cleaned / dipped to remove any salt buildup.  

Those older technology motors are bullet proof as long as they get good water flow, good fuel flow and good oil.  Plus, if something breaks or acts up, they can still be worked on by a backyard mechanic and parts are readily available.  The downside is they can suck down fuel at 2 to 3 times the rate of a 4 stroke or injected motor.  If you go with route, run either a semi-synthetic or full synthetic 2 stroke oil.  It will cut way down on smoke (especially when the motor is cold), plus it cuts down on carbon buildup.

Cost does not sound bad and it is nice having a warranty.  Does his price also include rigging, priming and checking VRO to be sure it is pumping and no air trapped in the line?

Yes all your assumptions are correct. Pistons will be new. includes 2 coats of zinc phosphate primer, 2 coats of sealer primer 2 coats of enamel and 2 clear coats.  I'm liking the smoke gray Johnson color. The rigging is extra but he's reasonable on price too. He'll drain the fuel tank and fill with 10 gal of new fuel, and oil, test run on boat, in water for 1st 45 minutes of break-in and set factory idle, timing, shift and throttle adjustments. The 10 gallons of fuel will be premixed with oil, while the VRO is being initially tested.

This sound like the best option. He can get it done in a March-April timeline. Now I'm really sold on this.

The steering is the only thing that is not addressed. Do you have power steering on your R2160?

Not power steering, but hydraulic steering.  Had a no-feedback system prior to this and hated it.  Hydraulic is night and day difference in comfort level for steering.

Hydraulic steering it is but I'm going with the Evinrude Blue instead of the gray.  My first Robalo ride was on an early 80's 2520 with twin Evinrude 140's. The sound of them cruising at 4000 RPMs was intoxicating!

I agree with ya on the sound those older 2 strokes made.

Based on the pictures Tiger has on his site, you can't go wrong with any of the factory paint schemes.  Looks like they do good work.  I was impressed that they mentioned and had some pictures of the zinc chromate primer, so they are starting off with a good base on the aluminum.