Robalo Boating Forum

I Boating on a tablet

Anyone out there have any experience using I boating charts on a tablet? A buddy suggested it, a ten inch screen is bigger than my fishfinder and the I boating app seems like a nice way to go.

I've used Garmin Active Captain on my iPad and it's okay at best. I've read lots of good about the Navonics app, but you have to purchase it. The iboating comes up as an app for lakes and I don't need lake information, so I tried Pro Charts. It would seem to be good generic chart and it does have buoys and obstruction information, but no depth info or contour lines. Also it  does allow tracks which can be very useful and you can download the chart so you don't have to be in constant communication while using.

Depends on what you're looking for I guess.  I'd love to be able to just have the sonar display on the chartplotter, but I've gotten too used to having the contour lines and radar on the chart, so I always end up with a split screen (chart and sonar). Can't port over the radar or sonar without adding a second chartplotter.

If you end up using one of the chart apps, let us know how it works out.

Edited by FullThrottle
spelling

Thanks!! Will do. I will hav to check out the Iboating to see  if it has coastal info. The buddie that recommended it uses it for lakes and loves it. I don't mind paying for what I use, if it's what I need.

• 2 months later...

Just a follow up. I downloaded TimeZero iBoat (or TZ iBoat) and I'm very happy with it so far. In it's free version it does more than most others and I see it as a good backup to my chartplotter. You can buy an adapter to take NMEA 0183 or NMEA 2000 AIS data from your VHF and display it on iBoat. Not a bad trick if you're intending to use it a lot. I've gotten to like having AIS data on my chartplotter once I get away from heavy traffic.

My iPad is now with me each trip out. I have it for displaying my night time camera, my GoPro facing aft when fishing or pulling a towable (kids love the movies of them bouncing around), anchor drift alarms when anchored and the list goes on. Really amazing what the right tools can do.