Robalo Boating Forum

R2160 w200 yamaha 2stroke range

I was reading Reelplumber's Bahamas adventures and it got me wondering what kind of range can I expect out of my r2160 w a 200hp outboard? I have been trying to figure it out but am getting nowhere. I could run a day and then some w my 150 yamaha and a 60gal tank. But I figure the 200 is gonna slurp more, even w 100 gallons to slurp.

Thanks Bob

Rule of thumb for a 2 stroke for fuel burn rate is 10% of rated max hp at full throttle.  So, in a perfect world, WOT will last 5 hours @ 20 gallons/hour.  I am guessing your 200 should be able to get 42-43 mph WOT with 2 people and tackle.  (comparing to my 2160 with a 225 that can hit 50 on a perfect day, but tackle, ice, and 2 people will bump 48 mph).  For simplicity, lets call it 40 mph x 5 hours = 200 miles.

But, with a 100 gallon tank, figure you will only get to 90-95 of useful fuel since the pickup normally is about 1/2" above the bottom of the tank.  Now we are at 190 miles.  Remember I said perfect world, no waves or swells; just a 1' chop.  Working the throttle for waves and rough water eats fuel as you are constantly accelerating then backing off due to changing water conditions.  That is going to kill your fuel burn another 20-25 percent.  Then is the motor properly tuned and propped correctly.  That Yamaha should be 5500-6000 rpms at WOT.

I would plan range of 125-150 miles.  This should leave you around 15 gallons in the tank.   When I had a 150 carbed Johnson, 100 mile run left me with 20 gallons in the tank.  With the 225 Evinrude RAM Ficht, I am comfortable with the 175 mile range.  Each year I will top off the tank, do an 80 mile run, re-fill and check fuel burn just to be sure nothing drastic has changed.

I hope I have not confused you.  

You made sence!! Thanks. Of course I probably would not run wot much but try to find a more economical rpm, but 150 - 175 mi sounds good to me. I will know more this summer when I get to put in some time chasing salmon. I can't imagine going from fl to Bahamas on a small boat, I would be picked up the whole way.🤯

Honestly, most of my running is either at 900-1100 rpms trolling or running at 4200-4500 rpms when on plane.  Every one in a while I will push it to 6000 rpms to "blow the carbon out", and those runs only last a few minutes!

BTW, I replied to your other thread about fishing.  That 80 mile run I talked about above is either running offshore to fish the gulf stream or hitting two of the Navy radar towers when chasing fish.  We have ran into some decent weed lines around the G Tower that is south east of the inlet.  A typical tower trip will have me running to the C Tower, down to the G Tower, then some scouting around that area looking for fish before heading back to the inlet or maybe heading out a little deeper to the edge of the continental shelf and work south to the Gulf Stream (12 miles east of the tower).

Reread your reply. You are thinking my range would be 125 to 150 miles. Still sounds good to me!! Loved the reply in the vacation thread . I would love to try those two towers.

For your first run, plan on 125 miles until you have a more accurate number.  Fill the tank up half way, then run 40-50 miles and see how much you burned.  To get a fairly accurate number, remove the fuel sender and measure the fuel level in the tank with the bottom of the boat leveled.  When you come back after the long run, remove the sender and measure again.  This will also be a good indicator as to how accurate the float gauge is.

• 1 month later...

My 2160 has its original Merc 200 carbed 2 stroke. I continually get an average of 1.5 mpg with normal use. That's a mix of speeds over the course of a few weeks.

I reset the trip on my gps and can guess how much gas it will take to fill within a few gallons, has been consistent for years.

That is a decent fuel burn rate for that motor.  When I had a carbed 150 Johnson, I figured it was about 1.2 mpg.  Granted, that little 150 worked it's butt off pushing the boat, though!