Robalo Boating Forum
Pinky

71 20' Robalo AMF Slickcraft

New owner up in Rhode Island. Was looking for a basic fishing boat and this old girl feel in my lap.

So after some research, my boat is one of the 1971 AMF Slickcraft center consoles. There's obviously issues with the foam core getting wet in these older boats. Just short of pulling up the deck, how does one inspect the core? Can I cut inspection ports into the deck? The under deck duel tank has also been abandoned, but the deck is still in one piece and I'd hate to cut it if it can be avoided. When I pull the garboard plug, there's a drip every couple seconds. The "kill well" and engine well drain seem to be in good condition. There's no big deformities/deflections when on the trailer, but some small "welts" on the bottom of the boat. Nothing seems soft. 

The boat will be going on a mooring, so the other question is: can a bilge pump be installed anywhere?

Thanks for the input.

KIMG0308.JPG

KIMG0307.JPG

KIMG0346.JPG

KIMG0334.JPG

KIMG0333.JPG

Edited by Pinky
Add photos

Hi Pinky and welcome to the site!

Another classic and it cleaned up real good!

Transom does not appear to have any indications of a wet transom....first thing I look for are brown stains around any bolts or thru hulls.  Any stress cracks in the corners of the motor well?

I don't recall if that boat came from the factory with a bilge access.  I suppose you could cut an inspection port just forward of the motor well and remove the foam down the the inner hull all the way back to the transom and about 12" wide.  If you do this, please go with a bigger inspection port instead of a small 4 or 6 inch one.  Remember it has to be big enough to reach in and access the bilge pump and associated wiring.

The 1975 version weighed around 1800 pounds bare hull.  If you could check your weight with no batteries, gas, or motor...let that determine if you need to be looking for water trapped in the hull.  Here is the link to the spec sheet for the 1975 boat.

Thanks for the info!! It's going on a mooring next week. I'll keep a close eye on her. I jumped around on the deck, banged on almost every inch of the hull. Nice sharp bangs and none of the wet thuds I had in a previous vessel. Put some time in fishing this summer and I'll do some work over the winter. If there's no apparent leaks, I may still do a bilge pump during the off season.

New canvas. Waiting on reg paperwork to come back, since I forgot a form and shorted the state $2🤪. Mooring is in, trailer squared away. Some fresh gas and plugs and should be good to go.

KACT0365.JPG

KACT0363.JPG

Glad to see it on the water.  Now use the heck out of it!

I noticed that the engine well always has water in it. Should it have a plug? It still has the scupper set up.

I would not plug it as it can drain now.  With a plug, it could hold an extra 10 gallons or more of water back there before it overflowed the transom.  That would end up adding at least 80 lbs of weight back there.  Just make sure the bilge pump is good and throw a solar battery charger on the back of the boat to keep the battery topped off.

Well, the "bilge" has water in it. You can't tell, as the boat is still showing the same amount of bottom paint. Wife was driving today, and as we were coming up on plane, I could see water at the control cable hole. Pulling her out tomorrow. The plan is to sacrifice the aft wall of the kill well for a inspection plate (as big as will fit), and begin installation of a bilge pump. I'll also be rechecking any existing "thru hulls" for cracks/leaks. Keep ya posted!! 

How much room is there on the floor between the in-floor box and motor well?  I would recommend getting a floor hatch to install there, then dig out the foam directly beneath to the hull and aft to the transom.  Look at some of the Bomar hatches.  Whatever  you get, be sure you can get 2 arms down through it to work.

Not enough. I would rather do a standard hatch, but I don't see how that's possible.

KIMG0370.JPG

Well, not a single drop of water out of the garboard drain. And the boat was on the ramp still, so it was a pretty good pitch. Where else should I be looking for water? Is it possible that the water I saw in the control cable slot ran into the chase ways to the gas tank "coffin"? I am perplexed!!

Edited by Pinky
Corrections

I would say that is a possibility based on some pictures of other members working on these older boats and have had the deck removed.  Remove the cover plate over the fuel tank and see if you find evidence of water in there.  Wish I could give you a more definitive answer.

Thanks. I'm planning on getting a bore scope to send down there. I'm almost wondering if there's a drain from the control slot to the engine well, as it appears most of the water that was in there is gone. My motor is acting up, anyway. So she'll be on the hard for a while. Was pleasantly surprised when no water came out of the garboard drain. 

That was going to be my next suggestion and get one of those usb cameras you can plug into your phone and poke around.  While you have the boat out of the water, get a piece of re-bar and run it up through the garbaord drain and see how far forward you can push it.  Should be able to at least get to the drain in the bottom of the floor fish box.  This will help in allowing water to drain.  You can also look at this link that goes into more detail about the re-bar and drain:

What's up with the motor?  

Picks up a surge around 2500-3000 rpm. I'm guessing, as I have no gauges. It smooths out if I hit the electric primer, so I was guessing fuel problem. Found a piece of collapsed fuel line that probably happened when the in line filter was put in by the previous owner. It pretty much made a one way valve going the wrong direction right at the filter barb. Fuel is nice and clean. No water/debris. Also a couple of dirty/loose electrical connections. Plugs are clean.

Edited by Pinky
Spelling