Robalo Boating Forum

1989 Robalo 2680 turned project

2 hours ago, 2-N-TOW said:

Damn that thing floats high in the water!  How did you manage to loose so much weight in the back of the boat?  And I am looking forward to seeing that completed hardtop set-up.

Saturated wood, water logged foam, moved the batteries under the seat/steps inside the cuddy, replaced with lighter materials, and floatation bracket.... and bam, to me it was an awesome sight to see that all of the planning and work paid off like this. I would stay up late at night wondering if it would float higher, I figured 2in would be amazing but 4, wow.... As Joey said there today "this thing can run across a wet towel", lol... We are all very happy with the results!!!

2 hours ago, mrrobalo said:

Definitely sitting right. The extra flotation in bracket really help. Can't wait to see hardtop on. Is there going to be a Sight tower on top ( D frame )? 
Im really curious in how the  paint is going to come out, the admiral even said if it is as good as the pic looked nows the time to change. Told her I will wait because too close to us heading down to the Keys in late June for 2 weeks with the camper. My oldest will be bringing the boat down for us and coming back down to bring it back to his house for me . He will be there for 5 days and has a charter while we’re there .  ( He does it every year ) and my younger son and my granddaughters will be there for a week ( he has his Dialysis days already booked in Key West ) so it will be fun for everyone I hope. Anyway I look forward to seeing your post .

Early on I had considered a sight tower but then went away from the idea, at this point I feel like we are building a hotrod on the water, but plan to fiah and play in it as well... 

The pipe welders are doing their thing, I forgot to mention the cut out and debur the edges before welding the cross sections since they know we are running wire thru it all, which is a good idea, they also run pull cords thru the pipe so we won't have to fight it later... 

You can see how glossy and flat the Alexseal paint is in the sun on some of these pics, that stuff is very user friendly... If you get it, we can send you the mix ratios that Joey has for the best results... The color for the sides of the hull is Largo Blue, Alexseal has 78 premixed colors readybtongo off the shelf and will custom blend for any color you can imagine. We are only a few weeks away from prepping and painting so Joey and I are planning to roll the entire hull...

If you get down to the Keys in June we will definitely have everything done except for maybe the rigging, GatorStep decking, and electronics... The boat is sitting right down in the southern most part of Naples (almost Marco Island)... I would love for you to come over and checkout what has been created... Just let me know when you get down.

A few more pics from today,  the lower line is the actual new water line... the old waterline is to the top of the epoxy paint... High gloss transom in the sun... reinforced inner transom cutout for the rigging to pass thru (the coosa panel that fits in here is ribbed and super strong) we plan to put a fold down seat here with enough room for 3 or 4... then the Alexseal color chart... Lauderdale Blue is the one above the color name...

Screenshot_20210422-222452_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210422-222421_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210422-222324_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210422-225846_Telegram.jpg

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The inner transom is all closed in now, it will be getting a few layers of glass this week and all grabbed in ready for prep and paint.  Since the boat now rides much higher in the stern I can comfortably install the sink style drains in the corners of the deck and come out the scuppers sitting below the bracket, I am so happy about this because I think it will give it a very clean look. We are also planning to tue in the front cabin cap area to the deck so we don't end up with trim molding around there to hide the gap.   

The console has now all been stripped down to it's bare state... A new Coosa shelf is going to be glassed in to replace the old add in wooden shelf. There will be a few ares that are going to be stiffened up for with some ribs and some new core added to spots... All screw holes and accessory holes will be filled in and it will be ready for prep and paint soon as well.

We are waiting for the new Lumitec recessed nav lights to come in, should be here in about 10 days they said. After they come in Joey will be recessing them into the corners of the hardtop. We are waiting for the new E box to arrive as well so it can be mounted to the underside of the hardtop.

Ryan the pipe welder should be ticking away at the hardtop project, they tell me it will be done in about 10 days... Next he will be on the bow rail project. 

I'm curewntly on my way back to FL and bringing the trailer that me and my father built down to FL... Used to be a 3 axle with leafs now it is a spread 2 axle with torsion axles and electric over hydraulic disc brake system... I had the fender steps built out of aluminum chanel and corners beveled for marker lights... Almost time to be fitted under the Robalo... 

Gettinf closer, I think we should be paint ready within another few weeks. I need to go thru my original to do list and make sure we hit all the marks, I know I added just a few things along the way .. Am I missing anything obvious to this point?

20210425_135635.jpg

20210425_135620.jpg

20210425_135604.jpg

20210425_131822.jpg

20210425_131846.jpg

20210425_131801.jpg

20210425_131739.jpg

Looking at that transom from inside...it is WIDE OPEN!  Lots of room to hang out and knowing it sits high in the water when you and three of your female friends are hanging on the bracket knocking back some cold ones!

Just a few things I happened to think about:

Non-skid on the bracket platform?

Are any gutter drains needed the in-floor access?

What type of scuppers are you planning for?  Remember to go as big as possible just in case you take a wave over the bow and need to get it out as fast as possible.  For a boat your size, I think the rectangular scuppers would look fine and greatly increase the opening size versus a circular scupper.

I agree on the scuppers . We built a R2520 with a full tower and Armstrong bracket for the Miami show and sold it to a captain who was going to charter out of Mexico. He loved the bracket but feared what would happen if he took a Big Wave over the bow with only 2 2’ scuppers. I told him to buy a pair of large rectangular ones and put them 4-6” above the stock ones just for water relief if it were to happen. He wrote me back and said they did work ,they got in a bad storm and took 3 big waves over the bow and the water went out the back quickly and the stock took over once water was below the rectangular ones. Just some food for thought.

Definitely sits high in the water, if me and Ryan were able to stand on the bracket as we were floating it barely moved any deeper, even when I walked to the far side the platform didn't go under at all.

That is not a bad idea on the scuppers, I need to measure the deck height vs the bracket height... I actually wouldn't mind having some rectangular ones above the bracket if possible, if not i will go right below the bracket. Currently i had 2 2in scuppers but it definitely makes sense to have larger ones...

There is a hole in the gutter on the of the deck hatch, but no fitting or hose to drain anywhere other than the bilge, this is something that I had thought about for all of the hatches like this but I have not thought about what I should do or could do with this. I do have 3 pretty large bilge pumps planning to put 2 in the stern and 1 in front about midship just behind the steps going into the cabin. I believe I have 6500gph capacity with the new pumps just to be extra safe to get water out asap if it were to take on any.... Ideally I can come up with a system to not have any gutter or anything else drain into the bilge though... Any suggestions on this issue?

I don’t know how much room you have in the bilge but you could plum all the floor boxs to go directly into a collection box and use a through hull bilge pump with a screen on it ( like bass boats have for there live wells)  to pump overboard . Even put a automatic switch and a screw-in inspection plate on top to allow access to remove any large pieces of debris / scales that make there way out of floor boxs. We used in line macerator pump and totally didn’t work I sent out more replacement pumps on warranty than boats with them. 
just some food for thought.?

14 hours ago, 2-N-TOW said:

Non-skid on the bracket platform?

Forgot to answer this question... Yes, there is nonskid already on the bracket but when GatorStep does their thing it will have even better traction...

31 minutes ago, mrrobalo said:

I don’t know how much room you have in the bilge but you could plum all the floor boxs to go directly into a collection box and use a through hull bilge pump with a screen on it ( like bass boats have for there live wells)  to pump overboard . Even put a automatic switch and a screw-in inspection plate on top to allow access to remove any large pieces of debris / scales that make there way out of floor boxs. We used in line macerator pump and totally didn’t work I sent out more replacement pumps on warranty than boats with them. 
just some food for thought.?

Ah, that is a great idea,  I think there is plenty of room in there for that actually... I like it....

I looked at some scupper options today... I must say it is not going to be fun trying to cut out the rectangular scuppers out of a 4+ in transom... But, I think you guys are spot on, we need to be able to bail water put fast if we take a large wave over the bow...  no biggie, we will figure this out though...

I took some pics of the inner transom now that it is closing in... It will be fully glassed in later this week. Walking on the transom cap now feels like walking on concrete, super strong!!!

We have decided to glass the back of the cabin to the deck and make a nice radius to match the rest of the deck... this way we won't have to place trim around to hide the gap and fasteners. This should be getting done sometime this week or early next.

The console is getting some body work done now, all of the core near the base is fully gone so we will be recoring it before install, new Coosa shelf, all tabbed in for strength. I'm excited to have a fresh virgin console with no screws, no holes, nice and clean...

It really feels like we are finally at the not picking stage of the glass work, the bulky work is all completed so now we are on the home stretch which is pretty exciting... I would say we definitely outdid our original plans by a bit, lol.... 

I threw some bonus pics in... livewell pie plate hole was glassed in... bilge access...

Screenshot_20210426-234309_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210426-234256_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210426-234237_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210426-234104_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210426-234045_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210426-233906_Gallery.jpg

Sorry for not thinking about those scuppers until this late in the game.  Let me toss another idea out there about the scuppers...

Instead of going straight through the transom just above the deck line, run the rectangular scuppers through the deck at the back of the boat, fabricate some glass tubing to bond to the backside of the deck and run out the transom at or below the bracket.  Get some stainless grates to go over top of the scuppers and now you have a clean looking transom.

OR

instead of running the drain out under the bracket, what about out thru the sides of the hull.  Drain would run through or under the boxes just in front of the transom.  With the scuppers there, they could be mounted vertically as they would not be as noticeable there as in the transom.  Plus, it will be much easier going through the hull than the transom.

3 hours ago, 2-N-TOW said:

Sorry for not thinking about those scuppers until this late in the game.  Let me toss another idea out there about the scuppers...

Instead of going straight through the transom just above the deck line, run the rectangular scuppers through the deck at the back of the boat, fabricate some glass tubing to bond to the backside of the deck and run out the transom at or below the bracket.  Get some stainless grates to go over top of the scuppers and now you have a clean looking transom.

OR

instead of running the drain out under the bracket, what about out thru the sides of the hull.  Drain would run through or under the boxes just in front of the transom.  With the scuppers there, they could be mounted vertically as they would not be as noticeable there as in the transom.  Plus, it will be much easier going through the hull than the transom.

We were discussing these options and came to about the same conclusions... easiest way would be thru the side of the hull, I don't like the aesthetics of that idea though.... 

I think the best and cleanest way would be thru the transom, using grates on the inside and having a fiberglass tube for the drain...

I have also considered running 4 larger round scuppers thru the transom and trying them in to a larger floor drain... This would probably be easier and look clean... 

None of these ways will be fun....

You are beginning to scare me when we are both starting to think the same way :) 

Still thinking on the scuppers...We have had some pretty in depth discussions about the scuppers, their size, their height, head pressure of water, and the theory of everything... We are still all over the board but leaning towards installing 4 scuppers.... I could actually go on for a 3 page essay to how we got there but to be continued... 

The final "big" glass work was wrapped up today... Joey tied the cap and deck together from both sides and glassed in the blanks in the corners... he said it feels a lot more solid now walking on it... The final layers of glass were added to the inner transom. The remaining glass work is just finesse and body work at this point.... Pretty amazing feeling since this has come such a long way, almost 2yrs since I got the boat!

The Alexseal rep was down at the project the other day and was pretty impressed with the entire build and he offered some critique on the transom paint. He offered some new tips and said it looked good but could have looked even better... He gave us new rollers to use for the rest of the hull and also gave us amounts, mixtures, etc to accomplish the job... Joey was offered an opportunity to go to a few day Alexseal Seminar to learn more about using their products. He thinks if we follow his instructions to the letter we will have a finish that will be mind blowing...

The recessed nav lights came in yesterday, when the hardtop makes it back from Ryan the pipe welding crew we will start getting them fit... Joey and I had discussed recessing the spreader lights I have into the hardtop as well, according to our measurements it should work perfectly... I am really digging the idea of a clean finish with no accessory lighting as a bolt on or afterthought appearance... I also have 6 recessed courtesy lights that I plan to recess into the bottom of the hardtop as well... After the bulk work has been finished with the hardtop we plan to paint the top with the snow white, then paint the underside with the same color as the hull...

I think that I already mentioned it but Ryan the pipe welder is going to be lowering the bow rail that will be installed right after we wrap up all of the paint...

But that is all the updates that I have right now... some new pics are below...

20210501_150209.jpg

20210501_150118.jpg

20210501_150029.jpg

20210501_092553.jpg

20210501_092553.jpg

20210501_092143.jpg

I did not realize this has been going on for 2 years, either.  Been fun posting on here as it has progressed.

So is Joey going to school?  I would think if he can master the roll technique and get as good results as spraying, this would open up a whole new area for his business.

That transom is a beast...the way it is built now and with everything tied together, it is like a massive box beam.

Let us know how ScupperGate works out as it is a challenging thing to try to safely resolve.

12 minutes ago, 2-N-TOW said:

I did not realize this has been going on for 2 years, either.  Been fun posting on here as it has progressed.

So is Joey going to school?  I would think if he can master the roll technique and get as good results as spraying, this would open up a whole new area for his business.

That transom is a beast...the way it is built now and with everything tied together, it is like a massive box beam.

Let us know how ScupperGate works out as it is a challenging thing to try to safely resolve.

Yes, 2yrs... Time has flown by... we have around 1600 pics that we have taken along the way....

You really have to stand on and jump on the boat to really understand just how much stronger it is now, it feels like an entirely different boat... stronger and lighter at the same time...

Scuppergate will continue for a while longer I think... The one thing I can say is that now the boat rides much higher in the water than before so it can take on a lot more weight and water than it could have before so this opens a lot of options... I have had other boats in the past that had dual scuppers on each side and it was a pretty dry boat overall so I feel that I may be able to achieve the same thing here and safely move larger volumes if I stuff it...

If you think Scuppergate is a saga, I must not have mentioned the livewell talks... Since this boat is equipped with a below deck level livewell these things have a bit of a stigma around them depending on who you ask... We have occasionally gone thru thought drills about the different types of livewell systems, plumbing, valves, pumps, check valves, drains, thruhull fittings, gravity drains, bottom drains, flooding the boat, etc... I think after all of the conversations I've been having I will be going with a pressurized livewell... I am thinking of replacing the hatch with a clear or fogged acrylic lid, with the boat name etched into it... I will have a nice rubber seal around the rim of the hatch as well as a nice compression latch to hold it shut. I will then be able to run 1 main inlet, dump fresh water into the livewell from 2 points, I will have a bottom drain plumbed to a gulper pump to discharge above the waterline, I will also have a main drain at or near the top of the livewell that has a check valve and dumps below the waterline. My goal is to pump more water into the tank than the drain can readily drain so it forces the tank to remain full at most times... I will be able to regulate the flow in and drain out as needed and I have some other ideas that may make this better than ordinary... We shall see how that side project turns out, I feel we will be able to pull this one off as well... 

Slow week, nothing really done except for glassing in a few remaining seams on transom cap area... 

Joey is working on the console now to reinforce a few areas and to replace the shelving with Coosa. That all should be wrapped up by the end of the week. Still waiting for the hardtop to make it back to us so we can get the nav lights and spreader lights recessed into the edges. The all we have is body work and painting.

I mentioned that Alexseal has offered Joey a few day seminar so he will be attending this the first week of June, when he is done our plan is to start getting prepping and start finishing this project!!! 

Stay tuned!

I was down on the boat some today, the console is getting wrapped up and around the base has been recored now, just some body work left there...

All major fiberglass work is now complete. Waiting to fair and finish the white areas... The hardtop still needs to have the lights cut in and finished.

Other than this there really hasn't been anything new happening here. I will post some pics soon...

• 2 weeks later...

All of the fiberglass work is complete... We ended up contracting the painter for the topside since there was so much work to be done and I was offered a deal... the paint should be completed in the new 2-3 weeks. 

In the meantime, Ryan from Tip Top pipe welding has done some incredible work, take notice the grab handles on this beauty. It gets 1 more rod holder in the center but other than that it is pretty close to being wrapped up. We are still waiting on the e box to arrive but that will complete this part. The bow rail will be his next project. 

A few more weeks still.... 

20210528_001453.jpg

20210528_001515.jpg

20210528_001559.jpg

Resized_Resized_20210524_143701001(2).jpeg

Resized_Resized_20210524_143628001(2).jpeg

Awesome looking top!

You have got to be one of the greatest "deal makers" we have had on this site.  Once this project is complete, you need to tell us some of the stories behind the deals....could make for some entertaining reading!

2 minutes ago, 2-N-TOW said:

Awesome looking top!

You have got to be one of the greatest "deal makers" we have had on this site.  Once this project is complete, you need to tell us some of the stories behind the deals....could make for some entertaining reading!

Lol, the last deal made is a pretty good story actually, since completed I will definitely share those details. Working around this industry helps for sure, but it also gets costly since I get a good idea of all the latest and greatest gadgets and such that are on the market. I just have to remember I'm not one of the millionaires that I do business with. 

Completed pipework is now back at the boat for fit and finish.  Looks pretty sharp I think. 

Joey is working on recession the lights tomorrow, so we are getting close to being ready to mount this on the boat with the console. The e box is also there at Joey's but I haven't seen it all together just yet, from what I hear it looks pretty amazing...

Still waiting on the painter to get this in the shop,  maybe another 2 weeks or so I'd guess. 

This is all I have for now.... I will report back with updates soon..

Resized_Resized_20210601_094635.jpeg

Resized_Resized_20210601_094630.jpeg

Resized_Resized_20210524_143628001(3).jpeg

Resized_Resized_20210524_143701001(3).jpeg

Pipework looks like a piece of art!  He did a good job on both design and build.  I really like the oversize tubes.  

Be sure to run a few pieces of line through the tube before putting it all together.  I would tape a ping pong ball or a waded up paper towel to a piece of string then use compressed air to blow through the tubing.  Last resort was the electricians snake, but with the top off it is so much easier to run a few and tape them to the leg.

2 hours ago, 2-N-TOW said:

Pipework looks like a piece of art!  He did a good job on both design and build.  I really like the oversize tubes.  

Be sure to run a few pieces of line through the tube before putting it all together.  I would tape a ping pong ball or a waded up paper towel to a piece of string then use compressed air to blow through the tubing.  Last resort was the electricians snake, but with the top off it is so much easier to run a few and tape them to the leg.

Thanks for the compliment, according to Joey the pics don't do it justice. I really love the style and super excited to get it into the boat. I am really excited to see it myself but unfortunately I am sitting about 1hr away from the boat but I have to get unloaded in the morning then slide down to the Keys prior to 4pm, so... I guess I won't get a peak at it for another week or 2... But when I lay my eyes on it, it should almost be ready to install in the boat along with the console, ebox, and ready for business...

Thankfully he already took care of that for us... He actually takes a piece of string with a tab of tap on the end of it and then uses a vacuum to draw it thru... I wish I had thought of that method years ago when I was rewiring a t top...

The pipe work looks SICK ?  So fresh ,beefy and sexy in a way. I made a forward shade cover from the console to the bow using bow rail  mounted rod holders for our trip to the Keys at the end of the month. Its not a thing of beauty but I need the shade for my son who’s on Dialysis and with his meds he can’t be in the sun. However food for thought make some provisions for a couple 0* rod holders so you can stick polls in to hold the front canvas. I made a stern mount one years ago on a 38” I captained and it slipped into the hard top channel and 2 rods at the back. It was great always had it up at the dock and some when fishing offshore. 
  SCUPPERS. Errrrr I put the 1” hole ping pong ones back in the deck where they were before the restoration thinking that’s done. Well the extra weight of the 4 stroke and my weight they were under water most the time and sucked. So I tool them out plugged the holes and troughs up and put 2” ping pong ball ones at floor level which raised them 1 1/2 “ higher so I will water test them when my new prop comes in this week.
Live well will be a 35 gal ( or my 10 gal inshore ) deck mount .I have a custom transom mounted high speed pickup with 1100gph rule pump. I know the weight isn’t going to help bu it is the only way these older boats can do it. The biggest thing about floor model live wells must be rinsed of all soap and other things we clean the boats with so use only biodegradable boat soap and flush out tank good on your way to get bait.

I can’t wait to see how the paint comes out!

I am planning to install some Rupp outrigger bases, the ones I looked at have a crank and can go out to any angle and stop in place... I saw a product on one of my customer's boats made by Gemlux, basically it is a sunshade that clips to outriggers, however they are not actually the outriggers they are a separate system. I feel confident that I can do the exact ae thing by using my outriggers with the fully adjustable Rupp bases and have the canvass shop build me a nice shade... I think it will work... 

Joey was starting to cut the recesses into the hardtop for the spreader and deck lights today, he said it has been more difficult than he originally thought due to the angles. He is leaving the nav lights for last, we agreed that this is the price for being special lol... he has to build out a bit of glass in order to get the proper angle, however they look pretty nice... 2 on the back and 2 on the rear sides of hardtop is the plan... These are made by Lumitec.

Screenshot_20210604-133246_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20210604-140915_Instagram.jpg

What about making some wedges out of starboard. They look like they might match the light casting material ? 
Where are you planning using her mostly ?