Robalo Boating Forum

1989 Robalo 2680 turned project

Careful at Marine Liquidators or you will end up with way more stuff that originally planning for!  I walked through there once and it was like a kid in a candy store.  Thankfully my wallet kept me in check!

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The place is amazing, I’ve been going there for years. When I was at ROBALO I sold him a tractor trailer of boat parts when we moved out of one plant to the other. You need to know your prices on the things your going to look at. Look it up on your phone and they will match the prices usually and other things are a steal or hard to find. I know he sells fasteners by the lb so I go through the barrels and pick out mostly larger screws smaller ones are just as cheep at the big box stores.they have a large assortment of T-Tops and such as well as a lot of fiberglass parts too. Good luck and enjoy  .

I never made it into the store over the weekend, work got in the way... Gotta work in order to play... The last time I was there I went crazy and ran out of things to buy, that place is great though and I know I have saved a lot of money. There is another place over in Clearwater called Don's Marine Salvage, Don's has some great treasures but it is nowhere near as organized as Marine Liquidators, but if you are willing to dig you can find pure treasure for CHEAP... These places are very easy to get carrier away lol...

So this week I'm off to California with a Grady for a customer but back on the homefront Joey is plugging away at the remaining punchout list items around the hull, and preparing to paint the transom and hang the bracket... After he gets the remaining fiberglass work finished up I am planning to take a few days off and we plan to prime and paint the remaining topside (above rubrails)... No new pics yet but I will probably have some more by the end of the week...

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update, been dodging raindrops off and on throughout the week so not as much was done... Transom was painted with Alexseal snow white paint instead of the Awlgrip.... We are actually very excited about the outcome of the paint... With help from a rep from Alexseal this job came out amazing!!! the finish you see is actually nowhere near as good as it looks in person because of reflections, but basically it was rolled on with a foam roller only, no tipping, no spraying, nothing.... just Alexseal topcoat with rolling agent, this stuff flattens right out!!!

Bracket will be getting mounted later this week since we are still waiting for the final coat of paint (rain delay) after wet sand between 2nd and 3rd coats...

The windlass hole was test fit, holes cut and sealed with epoxy... The hole for the thru pulpit anchor roller was cut out and will be boxed in within a few days... the companion way was cleaned up a bit more.. We are getting very close to being ready to fair, prep, and paint above the rubrails... 

The back stern piece of the cap that was cutout was reinforced with some knees, the back panel was also built but not going to be installed until the bracket is bolted up, since it is easier to get in with it all open no need to make more work...

Moving along on things.... Here are a few pics, I will try to get some more sent soon...

Screenshot_20210401-202001_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20210328-083731_Instagram.jpg

20210331_151604.jpg

Screenshot_20210331-154241_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20210401-203107_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210401-203050_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210401-203041_Gallery.jpg

That roll job looks like it was sprayed!  Was the paint thinned out that much to get the roll  marks to level out?  Was the original intent to spray with Awlgrip?

People kinda fuss about how much those paints cost, but they have to realize part of the cost is paying for access to knowledgeable people that can tell you how to apply their products in challenging conditions.  

Looking forward to seeing that bracket hung on the transom.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, 2-N-TOW said:

That roll job looks like it was sprayed!  Was the paint thinned out that much to get the roll  marks to level out?  Was the original intent to spray with Awlgrip?

People kinda fuss about how much those paints cost, but they have to realize part of the cost is paying for access to knowledgeable people that can tell you how to apply their products in challenging conditions.  

Looking forward to seeing that bracket hung on the transom.

It really wasn't thinned out much at all... The rep gave pretty explicit mixtures to achieve the perfect results and bam... Alexseal actually has a rolling agent but that helps flatten it out... BTW, these pics are  before any wet sanding was done... really we could have gotten away with no wet sanding at all but the rep said to wed sand between 2nd and 3rd coats so that's what we are doing. Last coat should be today...

The original plan was to take it to the painter, however this job is WAY over budget as it is and the painter blew that budget even further with his estimate... Then the plan was to build a portable booth and spray Awlgrip ourselves, but then after we discussed it further and was thinking about what I had seen before with Alexseal online and people achieving great results with just rolling and tipping,  plus I had heard they came out with a flattening agent for rolling... So, we got the paint and magic happened... I figured the start with a quart and if it turned out bad we could always sand it down and go back to the build a spray booth method and spray it or Awlgrip... But thankfully the paint laid out like it was sprayed on... The little bit of rippling that happened started to flatten out over a few hours to an automotive like finish... 

Everyone who has seen it has been amazed, it exceeded any expectations anyone could have for paiting really..  The cost wasn't horrible, retail to retail it is cheaper than Awlgrip... The quart was picked up from yhe supply store and they said that nobody ever really buys Alexseal and they were interested in how it was going to turn out.... After these results I purchased 2 full gallons and lucky for me I was able to use my source to get it at wholesale, so that is a major win for me.... 

To be honest, if above the rubrail turns out nearly as good as this did I am seriously considering having the Alexseal rep look at the sample of wrap I have and see if they can match the color, if so, I may actually decide to paint the entire hull instead of wrapping. Looking at a pretty nice metallic blue color,  I've seen it on some Intrepids down here and I really like the color... Keeping the white transom and white bottom either way.. 

Next pics I send should be with the bracket hanging...

Edited by Smittys Haulin

Thanks for the info . I’m curious how it comes out as I still have the cap and vertical interior areas. I used TOTAL BOAT  epoxy on the hull and so far it’s ok but haven’t had it out a lot but will see.  

I loved, here are some more pics I snapped this evening. 3rd coat on the transom, slick as glass, looks like an automotive finish... I also included some pics of the pulpit cut out (no surprises)...

And, look what i scored today.... brand new out of the mold hardtop!!! 4.75ft x 7.5ft, very close to the 5x7 I was looking for but half the price... This was the final piece to the puzzle... But, the next, next set of pics should be the bracket hanging...

20210402_200150.jpg

20210402_195422.jpg

20210402_195408.jpg

20210402_195404.jpg

Damn wish I knew about ALEXSEAL before I put on Total Boat Wet Edge Epoxy top side paint. Your transom looks amazing . WOW BLEW MY MIND!

No kiddin!  I am still having a hard time believing it was rolled and NO TIPPING!

Well if my paint starts to not hold up I’d sand her and repaint with Alexseal as all the hard work is done lol. That’s only a weeks job with drying times . 
I’m going to wait till next year to start the Dottie Q as I went and checked out a PIONEER 220 w/ Yamaha 150 for Nick and i bought it ( his $) igot a hell of a good deal on it. So he will be good for a while. 

4 hours ago, mrrobalo said:

Damn wish I knew about ALEXSEAL before I put on Total Boat Wet Edge Epoxy top side paint. Your transom looks amazing . WOW BLEW MY MIND!

Blew my mind as well... I honestly didn't think a finish like this was possible being outdoors with very little protection other than a pop up shelter with a flap on one side. 

Probably going to end up painting the entire boat with Alexseal paint instead of wrapping... Plus, it is repairable unlike some finishes on the market. 

Don’t you just love it when a plan comes together.😎. I don’t know what your cross members have in the mid section but if your going to have outriggers you should have aluminum bases welded in for them as well as for radar and antenna mounts.just food for thought.

Touch up of the paint was one thing I was looking for when I was doing a search on the paints out there. The Total Boat paint was able to be touched up ( in the process of it right now as I had some rubbing of fenders remove a couple places and it’s blending well. However I know know not to use a pressure washer on paint that’s not a few months into curing 😂 

Posted (edited)
On 4/4/2021 at 5:38 AM, mrrobalo said:

Don’t you just love it when a plan comes together.😎. I don’t know what your cross members have in the mid section but if your going to have outriggers you should have aluminum bases welded in for them as well as for radar and antenna mounts.just food for thought.

That is actually a great point, I'm planning on installing some Taco outriggers on this so I will tell the pipe welder when he starts getting things welded in place. He already has the uprights done, we just didn't have the top until now, since the fabricated top was scrapped due to it being a PITA...

So, today was the day that the bracket was hung... It looks awesome, the bracket, the 5200, and the transom all matched in color like it was meant to be there.... I like it, granted I am a bit partial to it lol... BTW, the paint looks even better days after it has cured!!! Look at that shine!!!

We were just talking about hanging the motors in about 10 days (plenty of time for the 5200 to cure)... then I plan to put some fuel in (with plenty of stabil since it still may sot for a bit after the glass work is completed), then we are going to take it down to the ramp to do a float test to see where the new water line is going to be... At this time we are having the pipe welder there with us so we can get the proper angle for the hardtop (I want a slight forward take on the top)... The welder will then be able to do his thing to complete the framework and mounting the top...

We are already looking at slotting off the week of the 26th (tentatively) for painting the ENTIRE boat now with Alexseal paint... I am waiting to hear back from the rep who helped us achieve the results on the transom but I am looking at a metallic blue paint that they have... As long as he says it can be done just like the transom we are going to be rolling away... we figure 2 days to fully prep, and no more than 3 days to paint and finish... ***I think I posted this pic before of the color scheme I'm going for, except for the blue line around the edges of the hardtop...

All that will be left is plumbing, electrical, electronics.. and, the GatorStep... I have all the new upholstery for it sitting in my container waiting to go in... It almost looks like a boat again instead of a flowerpot...

Screenshot_20210407-155101_Gallery.jpg

20210407_153319.jpg

20210407_153303.jpg

20210407_153251.jpg

20210407_153231.jpg

20210407_153214.jpg

Edited by Smittys Haulin

Pipewelders were the best when I was there and I used them for years. Once you said that I knew there wouldn’t be anything left to chance.That paint I so nice I actually thought about repainting but I think the Admiral would make me walk the plank. LoL I can't wait to see the blue. 
When I had to do static test on the boats we had a box I hung on the transom and used led weights to simulate the outboard weight . I then used coolers filled with water to simulate the weight of fuel batteries and other items that were standard in the boat. It might not be high tec but it allows anyone to do it as you just need to measure the water out in gallons and calculate the weight where you need it. Food for thought.

1 hour ago, 2-N-TOW said:

So when and where is the launch party???

Getting very close now!!!!

59 minutes ago, mrrobalo said:

Pipewelders were the best when I was there and I used them for years. Once you said that I knew there wouldn’t be anything left to chance.

This guy is pretty good, he apparently has an art degree and wanted to be a metal artist but then morphed into a practical money making skill of doing marine railing, pipe welding, railing on big dollar homes in Marco Island area, etc... I told him what I wanted and showed him some styles and he went to town with a rough sketch and snatched the console from me to build it all... I hear the uprights are finished but I still haven't seen it with my own eyes, but it will be revealed soon...

That paint I so nice I actually thought about repainting but I think the Admiral would make me walk the plank. LoL I can't wait to see the blue.

Yes, I am very proud of the finish!!! The Admiral here started asking a lot of questions recently about costs so I understand, lol... i have a lot of faith in the Alexseal rep to deliver on this color and best practice to lay it out with a finish as nice as the transom. .

When I had to do static test on the boats we had a box I hung on the transom and used led weights to simulate the outboard weight . I then used coolers filled with water to simulate the weight of fuel batteries and other items that were standard in the boat. It might not be high tec but it allows anyone to do it as you just need to measure the water out in gallons and calculate the weight where you need it. Food for thought.

This way is way more hi tech than our initial conversations lol..

We were going to go to Lowes and get a bunch of 50lb sandbags and lay in to simulate the weight of the fuel, but  this tank is 200gal so that works out to 25 bags if sand. I'm just not 100% certain I want to heavr all those bags that many times, although I can take them back to the store when I'm done with the ballast... but the cooler idea is pretty good, I'm just not sure i have enough coolers or lead anymore either (wish i didn't scrap so many of those ingots)...

So update for the week, inside of the transom is in the process of getting closed up amd finished... This is pretty much the final step on the actual hull...

The t top uprights are getting fit to the console. As soon as the pipe welder has finished design fitment the console will be getting all closed up to look like a virgin console again (the small plastic doors amd compartments will be gone, the screw holes sealed up, etc . We will be reinforcing the console with more glass, coosa, and replacing the current sagging wooden shelf with a Coosa shelf... Since it was pretty much just a shell popped from a mold it is pretty weak overall, now it will be designed to take a beating... 

In the pic you get a sneak peak of the t top frame redesign... I added the old pics so there is a side by side comparison... BTW, this was my first glympse of it too, I basically told him what I wanted and he took it from there... Basically the. Biggest thing for me was getting those uprights out of the middle of the walkway around the console and to have a more contoured fit look... From what I'm seeing it is looking pretty nice...20200303_171745.thumb.jpg.6c81b7d1a08ee5229d420800b2682670.jpg

IMG_20210413_161420_621.jpg

IMG_20210413_161417_399.jpg

IMG_20210413_161413_810.jpg

20200303_171750.jpg

Motors were hung today, getting ready to splash it in the water next week to see if it actually floats, lol.... I wish I had already repainted the motors but they really aren't horrible (I will shoot them later, really I could probably just do the cowlings and be happy)...

It is funny to see the old pics compared to the new ones, I know we still.have a ways to go but to me this is starting to look pretty dang close...

Next Thursday is splash day... Not too exciting but to me it will make it start to feel pretty real... By that time the dinner transom should be glassed in and looking good and the console should be almost a virgin again and ready for paint itself...

Speaking of final details to be done we just found some recessed nav lights for the hardtop made by Lumitec, finally I found the exact look I was going for in that... These lights will match the other lighting on the boat which are all Lumitec.

So here are new pics with motors on and some of the lights I found... Apparently Hillsborough county must have gotten a deal on theirs lol...

Screenshot_20210414-194649_Instagram.jpg

20210414_195255.jpg

Contour_Nav_Dock_Combo_Light.jpg

Screenshot_20210414-202509_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Smittys Haulin
1 hour ago, 2-N-TOW said:

Is he using bigger pipe?  If so, I like that beefier look to it.  Looks nothing like the original one.

Yes, definitely a beefier pipe, definitely going to change the look... This is my very first look at what he had started as well, they have been waiting on the rest of the boat to catch up... The fabricator's name is Ryan, his company name is Tip Top Welding based in Cape Coral, FL... https://tiptopweldingllc.com/gallery/  .

Apparently I was told this was just a taser, I left it in his hands with just a small bit of what I would like to see...