Robalo Boating Forum
Saltygrl

New boat owner, just saying hello to everyone

Hi everyone! Recently purchased a 2019 Robalo 247. I've been boating for decades with friends, but this is my first boat. Figured I should join a forum for a bit of guidance and make some new friends!

Edited by Saltygrl

Congrats on the purchase and joining the forum. Welcome.

Hi Saltygrl and welcome to the forum!

New model year boat!!!   Please tells us more about it and include pictures.  Most of us have older (really, much older) Robalos, but there is a wealth of information from the people on here.  Don't be shy about asking any questions as we all started out just like you..

Here she is! We haven't agreed on a name yet,  but loving the hardtop and versatility with the fishing deck/ find down stern seating...or would that be called aft? Lol

20190614_123730.jpg

Nice looking boat. Sure you'll have lots of fun with it.

I can just picture pulling a nice yellowfin tuna thru that transom door!  

How fast is it with that 300?  Also curious what electronics you plan on rigging it with.  I see an awesome fishing machine in the making there!

I had to laugh about the fold down seat in front of the transom.  When I rebuilt my boat, my wife insisted I had to get a fold down seat for her.  Back when I did this, Birdsall Marine was the only company that would build a custom seat similar to the factory fold down seats.  What they  built for me was top notch, but damn were they proud of their cusrtom work!  I don't think the seat has been in the boat in the past 5 years.

Its definitely a mix of both worlds, fishing and invite friends for fun day out. I haven't maxed it out to see top speed, but i'll update you... probably 45ish? We like to casual fish and we also like island hopping and sandbar fun, this set up gives us the versatility to do both! Wouldn't mind a yellow fin though!

As for now, we have the Simrad, plan to definitely add GPS. It's so new, I just don't know yet! Not to mention, this is my 1st boat soooo I kind of don't know what I don't know! I'll look into any "surely must have" suggestions offered though 😎😎

Kind of wish I went with twin 150s instead of the 300

On 7/7/2019 at 9:17 AM, FullThrottle said:

Congrats on the purchase and joining the forum. Welcome.

Thank you!

35 minutes ago, Saltygrl said:

Its definitely a mix of both worlds, fishing and invite friends for fun day out. I haven't maxed it out to see top speed, but i'll update you... probably 45ish? We like to casual fish and we also like island hopping and sandbar fun, this set up gives us the versatility to do both! Wouldn't mind a yellow fin though!

As for now, we have the Simrad, plan to definitely add GPS. It's so new, I just don't know yet! Not to mention, this is my 1st boat soooo I kind of don't know what I don't know! I'll look into any "surely must have" suggestions offered though 😎😎

Kind of wish I went with twin 150s instead of the 300

I had two engines on my Albemarle. I agree that docking was much easier with two engines, but we had one go out once and had to come back on a single engine. Couldn't get on plane of course, so very slow going and tough to steer since the engine that went bad had the power steering. My new boat is a single engine and Sea Tow say's they'll come out 100 miles to get me if I need them, so I got a Garmin inReach to send text messages or emails via satellite. Oh... two engines means twice the cost on maintenance. It does provide some piece of mind, but for me 100 mile return with 1 engine would take about the same time as getting Sea Tow to come out and get me.

If you got the Simrad with the boat, it has GPS already according to the Robalo site.

Our boats are very similar and I was looking at a 247, but my wife fell in love with the Sailfish, so we got that as it was her turn to choose the boat. Very happy with her choice.

http://robaloboatowners.net/forums/index.php?/topic/6867-new-boot-stripe-and-decal/

Look down a bit and you'll see the Sailfish.

Take your time buying new toys for the boat.  Don't be afraid to ask lots of questions...we will try to answer them the best we can or tell you where you can find the information you are looking for.  Most important thing now is to just go out and have fun with the new boat!