Robalo Boating Forum
Vizhn

1980 Robalo 200. New Project. Any other 1980 “200’s”

Hey gents and ladies, hello, just go5 this project and hopefully intend in rebuild and redoing this boat to fit my pleasures.  I am chang8ng it from a two striker to a Mercury 4 stroke. Do not want to deal with the mixing or worry of injection systems working right.

wish I had a blue print of this CC exactly so I could know where all the foam, tank, and original build is supposed to be.  

I am considering serious

I am considering seriously a bracket from Armstrong and extending 3-4’ and installing a 250 on it.  As well of course checkin* and fixin* all cracks I.e. stress and otherwise on the boat.  Stripping all paints etc,and redoing all that.  It has a nice stainless Bimini top but I want to replace the console and update it it to today’s standards as well as electronics and trolling motor etc etc., many plans for it.  I got the boat cheap, trailer was trash got another with it but it definitely needs a lot.  

Any help and pointing me in the right direction could help I’m sure not hurt.  Also I didn’t know if Mr. Robalo was still ithus or in good health.  I am guessing most of this forum is up to date and not old from 03 and further.  Good info on most of those but dated.

thanks

Vizhn

Hi Vizhn and welcome to the forum!  Sorry for being slow responding, but I was out of town for the holidays and now playing catch-up!

I added a bracket to my 1988 2160.  On these smaller boats, brackets dramatically change the center of gravity and how the boat handles.  Check on the weight difference between a 2 stroke and 4 stroke of comparable hp.  That extra weight hanging 30 inches behind the current transom is going to  make the boat sit lower at rest and cause it to ride with the bow higher.  I would think bracketing anything less than 21 ft is a gamble unless you can move the console forward maybe a foot or so and  move all weight on the transom to the console.  Trim tabs are a necessity.  Also, go with a bracket with the biggest floatation tub as possible.  I ended up having a custom bracket made that is typically for a twin motor install but drilled for one motor.  The additional floatation of the larger tub helps offset the weight behind the boat at rest.

Take a look at my rebuild thread as it contains a lot of information that would apply to any Robalo when contemplating a bracket.

Mr Robalo should be posting more on here in the very near future.

As for the forum...yup, we are up to date and here to help out!

Yes. My project will be very much like yours.  I am looking at the new Evinrude 200 Etech G2. Lighter. Oil is in its own sump. Many great things. Just worried as it's a completely new type engine etc. going with a bracket. Changing much of the back of the boat and as well as the helm and going to a hard top on my T top just too much to mention 

Thx for helping me

The Evinrude etech g2 I think is 565lbs so much lighter than 4atroke other. It has a Johnson 200 1992 on it now

Yamaha F200LB In-Line Four – Four Stroke
Click For Pricing
No Sales Tax in Delaware
Engine Type 4 Cylinder
Displacement 2.8L
Full Throttle RPM Range 5000 – 6000
Alternator Output at W.O.T. 50A
Compression Ratio 10.3:1
Fuel Induction System DOHC EFI VCT
Ignition System TCI Micro Computer
Controls Remote Mechanical
Starting System Electric
Shaft Length 20″
Gear Ratio 26:14
Approximate Weight

487 lbs

78 lbs  lighter than the  E-Tec G-2

I'm running this on a  R-236 Cuddy   great gas mileage .  I get 42 mph  with 2 people and full tank fuel.

Running the Yamaha M prop -  13 3/4 dia x 18 pitch   , motor out on an Armstrong bracket.

Have you seen the comparison.  Not to put the Yamaha down, as I have been researching all of the mosses extensively, I’ll Lin it, pretty funny to watch.  

I do appreciate everyone’s input.

but I would like A to watch the hopefully attached videos and listen about the weight and power of the Etexh G2 vs any other engine.  Promise I was looking at Yamaha and Merc, didn’t have a clue about the others, but these are eye opening.

https://youtu.be/ikke2xgNX3Y

this is a 2005 comparison.  What kept me from two strokes is what the man says, plus the problem with having an oil tank to mix or mixing fuel, etc.  but the new 2019 Etech G2 has its own reservoir and is lighter even more powerful, power to weight ratios.

https://youtu.be/1XRCDN3JKZ0

ok, hopefully you guys can see these. Let me know what you think.  I would be fine with a 150-200 Etech 

I am running the older 225 Ram Ficht.  Prior to that, it had a 1989 Johnson 150.  Weight difference between the 2 motors was negligible.  Boat ran fine with the 225 prior to the bracket install.  The big thing to keep in mind is moving that weight 30" behind the transom...that is a big weight shift and does mess with the center of gravity on the hull.

One other thing that is still a minor aggravation on my boat even today is the transom does sit a little lower even with the bigger tub on the bracket.  This causes your scuppers to be just above the water.  Seriously consider installing the ping pong ball scuppers to help cut down on wet feet.