Robalo Boating Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Yard_Boat

R2120 1985 Yard Boat Dreaming

Hello Everyone,

Yard_Boat introducing himself from Tampa, FL. Have a 1985 R2120 that is mine for the taking. It was the family boat. Originally Acquired in 1991 as a theft recovery stripped of power and we re powered at that time with a 1990 Johnson 200 that was a leftover old generation 90 degree after the introduction of the newer models in 1991 model year.

Boat has been sitting for about 10 years soaking up that Florida sun. I have been reviewing posts to get folks experience, surprises, and thoughts on refitting these nice ol boats. I know the ride is excellent, and the build quality is there. However the elements have taken their toll.

No project pics to offer, its more of a "do I want to take on this project" at this time. First step is to gather info and do a rough survey based on the good info posted on this site

Hi Yard_Boat!

Fantastic project you are about to take on. I just took on a similar project also with a R2120 hull, although I think mine is from 1989-1991; I'm not 100% because all the tags and IDs were removed a long time ago.

Lets see some pictures to see what you are working with!

Here is how I started with mine back in February. I will post pictures shortly of the advances... world of difference :)

http://robaloboatowners.net/forums/index.php?/topic/6599-which-21-feet-robalo-do-i-have/

Hi Yard_Boat and welcome to the forum!

Whats the worse that can happen once you start cleaning it up to see if it is worth the effort?  At that point, other than time and elbow grease, you  can still walk away from it.

Having said that, once you get all the years of accumulated crud out of the way, that is the time to post some pictures of any questionable areas and get a real good idea of what is involved going forward with this project.

Don't be shy about asking questions...we have all been down this road before and we learn from each other's experiences.