Robalo Boating Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sean on Ack

New to me 1969

Hi all 

Just acquired this 1969 (according to the reg) 19’ Robalo this site has been wealth of information !

So far the only thing I’ve done I’d gotten off the trailer that had rusted to beyond what I’d trust  

E61A8084-2577-4CC2-A503-5DB4E0788665.jpeg

0C52F14C-A1ED-480A-B862-03041DD90D98.jpeg

133641D2-16C8-469D-96CB-B81424143FDD.jpeg

Hi Sean and welcome to the site!

Interesting looking boat with that pilot house.  What did the prior owner use this for?  Looks like it was used for a tow boat or some type of work boat.  How does the overall hull condition appear to be?  Any soft spots in the transom or floors?

If you get a chance, please post the hull id number.  It should be on the starboard side of the transom just below the rub rail.

Don't be shy to ask questions...lots of good resources on this site and we will try to assist any way we can.

E19CCB18-EF6A-48F2-A47C-4D698DE4898F.thumb.jpeg.51aff10c440fcba0a29a69253b1f4376.jpeg226F4448-D36A-4B3F-B4D0-239FB411374E.thumb.jpeg.f5c2e442e1d526f5279d9288979e94a6.jpegBoat has been on Nantucket Island for as long as the previous owner and the one before him know. Boat was used as a recreational fishing boat. Kinda out here in the ocean so pilot house is probably just for bad weather and higher seas. Not really rigged for a workboat as far as tow cleats and booms etc none of that or any signs that there once were .

Overall hull seems to be in pretty decent shape. Only soft spots I’ve found so far have been on the casting platform on the bow which is almost expected and not to big of a deal to me as it’s elevated above the hull and can be easily braced  

Found the hull id.  Am I correct in assuming this is hull #36? Also was surprised by the 200 hp rating, she is currently powered by an early 90s Johnson 88 special. Have not taken it out for trials yet but previous owner said he got up to around 30 on a good day. Feeling good about the outboard I’ve seen and had much worse off motors before. 

Last registered and out on the water in 2018 so also good that time had not had a huge effect on things. I think she mostly just needs to be cleaned up and painted.

I’ll be doing bottom paint tomorrow before I put it back on a trailer and get it out of the previous owners yard. Then I’ll be moving it and getting the outboard running for sea trials!

591649EE-F0AC-4DC7-870B-03D83A611FA1.jpeg

9E743DB1-38AF-4012-8CE1-C77C9D137507.jpeg

842C1B46-B2DC-49CC-B4B2-B657981B90AE.jpeg

AAE9E962-BEF9-46C7-B151-74AAA41A42B9.jpeg

So I’ve also read all about the fuel tank problems and I’m pretty sure I don’t want to go anywhere near that fuel tank this year at least. Access behind the gas tank had lots of terrible smelling/looking water that has since been removed. Any tells for waterlogged core or suspect spots?

We are going to need Sammy Joe (Mr. Robalo) to comment on this one!  Hull id numbers did not start following an industry format until 1972.  1969 is when I think Robalo started building boats, so it is very possible this is hull #36.  Too bad none of the prior owners had any documentation from the original bill of sale to validated this.  This hull appears to be the same as what Judd Garvin was building  Very interesting, though.  Hull shape has definitely evolved since 1969.

Here is a link to 1970 R19.  Look at the pictures and you will see the similarities!

As for the 200 hp rating, back then the only way to achieve this was with twin motors.  Highest single motor hp when the boat was manufactured was 115 hp, so the need for twin engines. This was actually normal for all boats built through the mid '80s to run twins, especially on fishing boats so there was a backup motor to get you home if something went wrong with the other one.  That SP88 is more of a commercial motor, none of the fancy stuff when it was assembled.  A gas hog, but as long as you keep the oil mixed in the fuel, change lower unit lubricant, new plugs and water impeller, that motor will last a long time.

This post will give you some suggestions on what to look for regarding hull and motor conditions on used boats:

It is definitely a new one on me. Actually we did build a few 26’ FMP pilot houses but that’s all. The original tank is a fiberglass 60 gallons built into the hull. The tank had Scott Explosion proof foam for baffling.  I’m sure by the way the floor is all cut up the boat has had another type of fuel system installed.  As far as the hull it is a proven Raymond Hunt design with JUDD Garvin’s attention to details. I am lucky as we have had one since new. She is in restoration after the last 50 yrs she has wore out 6 pairs of motors.and 4 generations of fishermen. Once you start working on her I’ll try to keep up and help you if I can.