Robalo Boating Forum
Sign in to follow this  
RichardK

Richard K. New to me 1995 Robalo 2660

Good evening all,

My name is Richard and I recently purchased a 1995 robalo 2660 with twin mercury carb 225 hp outboards.

I have run into some problems with water getting into the bilge and am trying to narrow it down. The pump seemed to have stopped working and the boat took on a bit of water. Not sure if it was from rain going onto the deck and draining into the bilge or something else. 

IMG_3158.jpg

imagejpeg_0.jpg

Hi Richard and welcome to the site!

Looks like it had a good amount of water in it based on that bottom picture.  Glad you caught it before the water level got above the transom.

A few good rainshowers can put a lot of water in a boat.  We have had some rain that dropped 2-3 inches in a few hours, so it can be enough to flood a bilge.  After you get it pumped out, check the water level in the bilge.  If you get a few days of no rain, check the bilge periodically to see if any more water is seeping in.  If it does not appear to be getting water, next would be to weigh down the float on the bilge pump so it cannot activate, then check it more frequently for a few days to be sure no water is collecting there from some other source than rain water.

If water does appear to be seeping in, first suspect is always the garboard drain.  Unfortunately, you would need to pull the boat out of the water to check it.  While it is out, check any other thru-hull fittings below the water line to verify they are properly sealed with marine silicone or a similar product.  

Is there an inspection cover in the wet well?  If so, it is possible either the o ring that seals the lid to the frame is damaged or missing, or the sealant around the mounting frame needs to be re-done.  

Hope this gives you some places to start checking.  Let us know what you find.

Marina mechanic checked the boat 5 hours later and the bilge pump died.

He then pumped it out with his own pump. I'm down at my boat now and pumped it out once more.

In 3 hours about 1-2" came into the bilge. 

Going to go back in the morning to put in a new bilge and vacuum all of the water out and lay down some paper towels and stair at where the wet spot starts.

No rain. Water still seeping in slowly. It appears to be one of the through hull fittings. Oddly the one has a square plate with some suspect caulking. 

I am having the boat pulled out of the water today. Will update with what gets fixed.

20190515_185337.jpg

So which image has the thru hull you suspect?

Question regarding the first picture with the thru-hull transducer; is the centerline of the hull towards the bottom of the picture?

Bottom picture I suspect the square plate to be leaking where the old caulking is done. Or the drain plug. 

On the thru hull transducer image the container of the hull is towards the bottom of the picture. 

What does that thru-hull fitting go to?  Is there a shutoff valve on that hose?  

Checking either the thru hull or transom garboard  drain will be easy once the boat is pulled from the water.  Fill the bilge and look for where it is leaking from.

Boat is out of the water. Filled bilge and not a single drop of water out of the boat in 2 days. 

However, when we filled the livewell and 2 fishwells the water level in the bilge went higher. So high that water entered the cuddly cabin.

On monday the shop will be draining the bilge and only filling the livewell and fishwells to see if that is where its leaking into the bilge slowly. 

So today on a hunch by the boat mechanic. He filled the bilge with more water in hopes to add pressure to the lower parts of the boat. Once he did that the bottom part of the trim tab where its installed was dripping with water. 

Fix procedure is reported as removing both trim tabs (only one is leaking but I asked him to remove both and install new ones) He will be re fiberglassing and then painting and then finnaly reinstalling new trim tabs. I may also have him redo the old motor mounts.

Glad to hear you found the source!  It is unfortunate that it is gonna cost a little money, but the problem will now be solved and not a concern the rest of the summer.

Sometimes tracking down this stuff is like an Easter egg hunt.