Robalo Boating Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Fitton Fisher

Rear Fish Well 1997 2140

Hello all, I am brand new to the forum,  Had the 2140 for a few months brand new to Robalo.  My question is how do you fill the rear fish well in the floor?  With the raw water wash down?  And If so should there be a plug to keep it from draining out?  I have only had the boat on the water 1x.  When washing the salt off the boat once back home we experimented with the rear fish well in the floor.  The water just disappeared down the drain and we werent sure where it went?  Then it all of a sudden shot out the side?  I know there is a masserator but now quite sure how it all works?  Can anyone help?  Sorry for being so novice???  Maybe there is someone in CT that can show me a few things?

Hi Fitton and welcome to the forum!

The 2140 is one nice fishing  machine.  The boat actually feels larger than it is and it can handle all kinds of water conditions with no issue.  The 2140 was on my short list when I found my 2160.

If the fish box in the floor is like the 2160, they normally have a thru hull drain that goes straight down to the bottom of the hull.  To confirm this, run a stiff piece of wire down the drain and you should see it under the boat. In order to hold water or ice in the box, a rubber and brass drain plug will close off the drain.  As for filling it with water, a 5 gallon bucket is the "weapon of choice".  There are no lines plumbed into the box by the factory to fill it.

Niow, the water shooting out of the side  makes me think that was the bilge pump kicking on due to water draIning into the bilge and activating the float switch.  Is the boat kept on a trailer or in the water?

Don't be shy about asking questions...all of us started out just like you and we are more than willing to help out.

Thanks for the info!!! My only question about how the water was "shooting out" was the fact I didnt have the bilge pump on?? Lol....batteries yes, but that's it?

if your battery switch was on, the float switch on the bilge pump possibly raised up enough from water running into the bilge to automatically turn it on.

Walmart has the plugs.  

image.png

Under $5.  I keep a few in the boat as they are easily lost.

I have the same boat. From the factory the fish box is plumbed to a pump located on the inside starboard transom. The exit thru hull is on the starboard side just below the rub rail. There are two thru hulls here. The other thru hull is for the bilge pump. The float switch to the bilge pump is wired hot to the battery so even if the batteries are off the pump will still activate when the float goes up. The previous owner of my boat had cut the pipe on the drain of the fish box so that it drained directly into the bilge. That may be the case with yours and why the water was "shooting out". You can remove the 3 access plates to verify.

Conrad

The floor fish box drain is connected to a pump that sits just in front of the OB, you can only turn it on and off by the switch on the helm. It drains out the starboard side and there should be a filter before that water goes in the motor . If the pump sits idle for long periods you have to lift the round cover in front of the motor and turn the shaft it with a screw a few times to brake it loose so it can start working by the switch again.