Robalo Boating Forum
FullThrottle

Striper Season Eliminations

Got an email Tuesday from Virginia Marine Resources Commission:

On April 23, 2019, the Marine Resources Commission will consider an emergency staff proposal to eliminate the Bay, Coastal and Potomac River Tributaries Spring Trophy-size Striped Bass Recreational Fisheries described in Chapter 4 VAC 20-252-10 et seq.

Seems they finally realized that we have dropped 85% since 2010 in striper catches. And if you ask me, we dropped much more than that if you go back to 2008 when it was tough to not hook up a striper.

Now, if they'd only consider a gill net elimination and menhaden moratorium in the Chesapeake Bay and tributaries we'd see a rapid increase in fish of all types. Unlikely, but I didn't expect them to consider the striper season eliminations - so here's to wishful thinking. Maybe we'll get a better season in a year or so due to the actions they are planing now.

It is about time!  Spring season should have stopped a long time ago when everyone realized these were females full of eggs being removed from the population.  I would be fine with a shutdown for a few years of the fishery so they could have an opportunity to recover.  For it to be done correctly, though, the shutdown would have to apply to all coastal waters these fish migrate through.

And I would love to see the net and menhaden ban happen.  With the netters, maybe even consider cutting their season by 50% so they could still earn some money, but the menhaden reduction fleet needs to be eliminated altogether within the 3 mile line and Chesapeake Bay.  

I would love to see fishing again  like it was back in '08.  When I tell others from out of this area what it was like, they are blown away with some of the stories.  Hopefully we will get another chance to experience that again.