Robalo Boating Forum
asboats2002

Some competition in the Outboard market

Hey 2-N Tow,     Have you checked these out yet ??  These are pretty slick  ESPECIALLY the shiftability !!  and these are very quiet for diesels....

also,,, pay attention to who's diesel engine is being used !

Check these videos out ;   

Don   "The Dr. Ann"  1975   R-236

GM diesel???  Oh boy...that alone just busted the  diesel market wide open!  I was betting it was based on a Volvo Penta block when watching the first video and just feared what spare parts would run.  I was impressed they mounted the motor horizontally instead of vertically like the Marine Seven powerheads.  Granted, it makes for a little bigger space, but having easily serviceable parts is worth it.  And that gearbox is impressive.

The two big questions are weight and cost.  If somebody spends a lot of time on the water, the savings in less fuel burn will help offset the cost some.  Then there is the weight...is it heavier than a comparable 4 stroke of the same hp.  

A couple of other things that come to mind is the availability of props.  Is the propshaft splined to fit currently available props or did they go with a proprietary spline?  And one other thing...diesels are known for low end torque.  When mated with the proper prop to maximize the torque rating, will this have any adverse impact on current hulls that may not have been designed to handle that kind of load?

I am impressed with what they have done; I just hope it is prices competitively with the current crop of outboards.

Here's one more interesting thing,,,  how easy it is to change your prop Gear Ratio !!     

WOW, just think of the various props you could use !!

Watch this video;   

That part is really intriguing to have an interchangeable gear box that can be done in the field in such a short time.  I spent 5 minutes trying to see the name on that prop hub.  It looked like a Mercury prop.  

All the "simplistic" changes they have made are great.  It really appears they listened to a large customer input on how to design this motor.  Now if they will release some spec and price sheets!

Yes,  I'm curious too.....   Did a little searching but couldn't come up with any specs so far......

Finally found some info...…  Here's a link to a guy that got to do a sea trial with it.;   https://www.mby.com/gear/oxe-200hp-diesel-outboard-engine-tested-51194

compared to a Honda 200hp 4 stroke ;    Honda = 595 lbs dry

OXE =  650 lbs. dry

There's a price in the article too but I couldn't do the conversion, but he did say it would be more expensive than the regular outboards.  

Don

You made me do some research. OXE lists 200HP at 771 pounds (350kg). If you go to the oxe-diesel.com site there is a lot of information including the fact they are aiming at commercial and government business - not the recreational market. I rather think this quote sums it up best:

I suspect the engines (Diesel outboards) can have a big impact with outfits like the Coast Guard, in commercial applications or for recreational boaters who run the heck out of their boats. Weekend warriors will never make up the cost.

Jeff Moser,
Power and Motoryacht

I'm also struck by the upper HP being 200. That works good for a lot of dual engine boats, but it wouldn't really work good as a replacement for my 250. I'd love to have the economy of a diesel, but the extra weight and lower horsepower (not to mention the initial cost) are real drawbacks. Let's hope this is a start in the right direction and future diesel technology will make this comparable to gasoline outboards.