Robalo Boating Forum
Mastellari

First Robalo

Well, Ive just purchased a 1993 2160. Im testing everything on it before it hits the water. Im replacing all bilge pumps just to feel safer. I already had a Wellcraft openfisherman 180 and a 19 chaparral. What I liked about this particular boat is that it seems heavily build. Thick fiberglass on the hull. Its powered by a 2007 Merc Optimax 225hp. 

Any thought or advices on this boat will be greatly appreciate it. 

Heres the Hin just in case: CROA17REH293.

Good fishing Ya'll. BTW im in Panama City, Panama, great fishing!!!

Welcome to the site!  Great model boat (I'm kinda partial since I have a 2160, too!)

They are heavy boats.  Glad to see you have a 225 pushing it.  What kind of top end speed are  you seeing?  I have an Evinrude Ram Ficht 225, and at 6,.000 rpms I am right at 50 mph.  I  will guarantee you that boat will handle water rougher than you  care to be in.  I have been caught in a few storms that blew off the beach and the boat was fine in the rough water...you just have to learn good throttle management to match the sea conditions.

One thing to consider if the boat does not already have them are a set of trim tabs.  They really help the boat handle choppy water so you can get the bow down and let it cut through the waves instead of bouncing on top of them part way back on the hull.

Post some pictures of the boat when you get a chance!

Thanks for the tips dude. Dont have the trim tabs yet, but im gonna try a fin before investing on the tabs. Im gonna be fishing the pacific ocean, it doesnt get that rough. Im thinking cruising it ar 4200 rpms, should go about 30mph. Thats good enough, besides saving gas. 

12 hours ago, 2-N-TOW said:

Welcome to the site!  Great model boat (I'm kinda partial since I have a 2160, too!)

They are heavy boats.  Glad to see you have a 225 pushing it.  What kind of top end speed are  you seeing?  I have an Evinrude Ram Ficht 225, and at 6,.000 rpms I am right at 50 mph.  I  will guarantee you that boat will handle water rougher than you  care to be in.  I have been caught in a few storms that blew off the beach and the boat was fine in the rough water...you just have to learn good throttle management to match the sea conditions.

One thing to consider if the boat does not already have them are a set of trim tabs.  They really help the boat handle choppy water so you can get the bow down and let it cut through the waves instead of bouncing on top of them part way back on the hull.

Post some pictures of the boat when you get a chance!

IMG-20181220-WA0026.jpg

IMG-20181220-WA0022.jpg

IMG-20181219-WA0158.jpg

IMG-20181219-WA0160.jpg

IMG-20190108-WA0130.jpeg

Looks good.  I like that second set of chairs in the cockpit.  That is the one thing about this boat, it has a lot of room for fishing.

I think 4,200 rpms puts me in the 30-32 mph range, too.  I am guessing you are running a 19" pitch prop to get those performance numbers.  And you are correct, 4,00 - 4,200 is the sweet spot for the best fuel burn on my boat, too.

You have me confused on one statement, though.  You say your in Panama City, yet will be fishing the Pacific?  In the process of moving west?

On 2/9/2019 at 3:35 PM, 2-N-TOW said:

Looks good.  I like that second set of chairs in the cockpit.  That is the one thing about this boat, it has a lot of room for fishing.

I think 4,200 rpms puts me in the 30-32 mph range, too.  I am guessing you are running a 19" pitch prop to get those performance numbers.  And you are correct, 4,00 - 4,200 is the sweet spot for the best fuel burn on my boat, too.

You have me confused on one statement, though.  You say your in Panama City, yet will be fishing the Pacific?  In the process of moving west?

Actually Panama City, Panama. Where the Panama Canal is. Central America. Hahahaha. Moved down here about 10 years ago.

Ok,  ya got me good on that one!  I was thinking I did not pay attention in Geography class back in my school days.

12 hours ago, 2-N-TOW said:

Ok,  ya got me good on that one!  I was thinking I did not pay attention in Geography class back in my school days.

Here's a little fishing from Panama. Checkout on google Hannibal Bank Panama

images.jpg

No more of those pictures until you are showing it on the Robalo!

(just kidding)