Robalo Boating Forum
SaltyDad

1993 Robalo 2440 WA - Forward Bilge taking on water

So I posted before about what I thought was waste water entering my forward bilge in my 1993 Robalo 2440 Walk Around.  Turns out it was not, but it is raw water entering from somewhere else.  No hull intrusions.  Water has been getting into the main bilge in the back from a bad scupper I need to change as well as some old deck caps I need to re-seal. But how does this water end up in the forward bilge?  Are the two bilge compartments completely separate? Also, if water is getting into the forward bilge from the main bilge in rear, why is it not draining back out when I elevate and pull the plug in rear?  Kind of stupid the forward bilge pump is above the deck and not below.  It is useless until the water pushes up through the deck plate in floor.  At that point it’s just pumping out the top inch of water from fully flooded bilge after it’s just above the floor in the cabin.  Also forward bilge compartment is filled with new foam that is now wet. (Fairly certain the old foam is what was making the bad smell beige and why I thought it was waste water)  You can’t pump it, can’t drain it, and it will just fill back up if I dry it.  I am fairly handy and have changed/sealed many fittings in the past, but am very confused with this issue.  If anyone has had a similar issue in the past, any help would be appreciated. 

I found a chase in the bilge that appears to go from bow to stern, but about about 2-3ft up towards the bow it appears to be sealed off with foam.  It also has a drain hose coming through the foam which appears to let water flow towards the back, but I have no clue where it comes from.  I have been pouring water around trying to find answers with no success. I poked my phone into the chase to snap some pics of the stoppage.  Wondering if bilge water is seeping through the back, through the old foam, and into the front. Anyways here a pic and I will water test her in the next few days after I finish sealing up the deck hatches, splash well, and installing new scuppers.  Also I ran my fiberglass fish tape through the hose and it didn’t make it far.  Either it’s clogged or it kinks upward but hard to tell 

89B2BE55-4BE1-4A4D-A16B-1875E1431780.jpeg

Hi Saltydad, and welcome to forum!

Any chance the water could be coming from the anchor locker?  Normally there is a hose that connects the drain to a thru hull fitting when the cap is fitted to the hull.  Sometimes that hose could get knocked off when installing the cap, and the water ends up draining into the hull.

Forward bilge vs rear bilge...don't get me started on that one!  My 2160 has a forward bilge with a recessed sump area.  The pump was screwed to the bottom of the sump, but the holes were not properly sealed, allowing water to seep under the liner.  I cannot figure out why some type of drain was not designed to connect the forward bilge to the rear so all water made it to one spot.  When I ever replace my fuel tank, that issue will be fixed so I can get rid of the forward pump.

I will check the anchor locker again.  I know there is a drain up there but I didn’t know it was connected by a hose, I though it was more of a pvc fitting.  That would be a fairly easy fix.  I’m really hoping it’s not the rub rail but who knows. I need to finish plugging some things up and water test it

Had same problem.  I dug out the foam in cuddy, spunged the water out, mounted a plate to cover the whole in the back compartment that drains the tank area of the boat.  Seems that the water getting in the back flows to the front and somehow gets trapped.  I put a drain hole in the plate that I mounted so that I can drain any water from the tank area that might come in on those really wet days. two fishing trips with no water intrusion in the cuddy.  Have not been out in rough seas yet, but I try to fish once every two weeks so i will report in if anything changes.

Edited by 2-N-TOW
    make easier to read