Robalo Boating Forum

Hello, just purchased a 1978 20 foot center console with 97 yamaha 200 yesterday. This is my first boat and she needs some work. New fuel tank as is running on a portable right now, lots of stuff to tighten up and refinish all the teak, previous owner said she was refoamed in 2005, live well has been foamed in also. Anyone have pictures or drawings of this boat with deck removed? Just trying to figure out how whole drainage works and how to fix if not draining properly. Most repairs will be done by me because of not having alot of money to pay others. Any advice on were to start would be most welcome.

20180814_173324.jpg

Welcome to the site!

What is the issue with the original tank that the previous owner decided to use a portable tank?  That would be one of the first major things I would want to take care of so as to get rid of the portable tank on the deck.

Fresh water was getting in the fuel believe it was pooling up ontop of the tank and seeping in past the seals under the little round access hatch. You can still see water siting there. Tank may still be good but when I pull it out just planning on replacing.

When you pull the tank out, consider installing a drain from the coffin box to the bilge so any water will drain.  Only 2 ways water can be getting in is either the access hatch over the fuel sender or the sealant is cracked on the lid on the floor.

I am dealing with similar issue on my ‘78 restoration. If you want to see what it looks like below, check my thread under Restorations. 2ntow has been a tremendous help. I plan to run a drain out of the coffin box, but my boat guy insists water will “never” get back into the coffin box once he seals it all up. So I’m on the fence. But check out both my thread and one under Repairs. Another ‘78 CC pulling up the deck.

Oh, ran into my mechanic today, he is restoring an old 23’ Mako. He said don’t seal the deck lid with 4200 but use Boat Life sealant. I saw some other product on Jamestown Distributors. SikaFlex or something.

my deck lid was not sealed between the lid and the inner part of the coffin box. It was only sealed in between the lid and the upper deck. I plan to lay 2 strips of sealant on the inside perimeter of the coffin box, then place the deck lid down so there is an interior seal protected from the elements. Then I will lay a bead of sealant in between the deck lid and upper floor.

Edited by Retainer

On 8/16/2018 at 6:18 AM, Beawulf said:

Fresh water was getting in the fuel believe it was pooling up ontop of the tank and seeping in past the seals under the little round access hatch. You can still see water siting there. Tank may still be good but when I pull it out just planning on replacing.

I looked around at poly tanks but since I plan to use closed cell foam to seal the tank in place, poly was not an option. Not sure where you are located but Patriot Fabricating in Forked River NJ will make an aluminum tank to the exact specs of the original tank. They picked mine up this week, I gave them a deposit and will have the tank next week. $1,200 with coal tar epoxy and delivered to my boat.

Gonna get her in the water this week with the portable tank. See how she sits in the water try and figure out if ther is more water in the hull. The water definataly was getting in thru the access hatch. Not sure how much is in there. Thanks for info on where to get a tank probably going to get a pre made that fits 1200 may be out of my price range for this project depending on other repairs needed.