Robalo Boating Forum
Larry29936

How to glass exterior of transom

I've replaced the transom on my 1975 R200 from the inside and would like to glass the outside of the transom. I don't know what kind of bottom paint is on there but pretty sure it is an ablative. I'm also pretty sure I need to sand it off prior to glassing it with epoxy but want confirmation before I make more work for myself.

Thanks in advance.

You already know the answer....its gotta all come off down to good gelcoat or glass. Go with the roughest grinding disc or belt so there is a good surface for the new glass to bite into since it will be relying on a mechanical bond with the existing glass.

Why glassing over the outer skin...to repair holes where the core was pulled up tight to the skin?

Any reason for going with epoxy instead of vynilester resin? There would be a good cost savings going with the resin.

What is your layup plan....2 layers of 1708 biaxial followed by a layer of mat on the top?

Dan, going with epoxy because I have quite a bit on-hand and am out of vynilester and polyester as well as gelcoat. Layup plan will be 3 layers of 1700 followed by cabosil thickened epoxy to fill the weave. I am planning to use a 2 part paint on the transom and center console.

That should make for a strong darn transom. If you can get that top coat of thickened cabosil on before the last layer of glass/epoxy kicks off, it would save time scuffing the surface and getting rid of any amine blush if the topcoat hardens.

That's not going to be possible, Dan. I'm working alone and will have to do it in sections. My plan is to take a day to apply right and left halves for the first 2 layers then adding an additional layer the width of the motor opening and finishing the entire transom with the cabosil thickened epoxy. I'll be working wet on wet but there's no way for me to get the last coat on before the previous one kicks.

Try this to make it a little easier. Lightly spray the transom skin with contact cement....just enough to grab the fabric and hold it in place. The contact cement will not impact the epoxy...this is how a lot of boat manufacturers hold the cloth in place on the mold prior to bagging and infusing. Wet it out with epoxy using a 6 or 8 inch roller. You can also gain some work time in the summer heat by refrigerating the epoxy prior to mixing with hardener.