Robalo Boating Forum
Sign in to follow this  
rl4930

'96 2120 stringer system and drainage

Hi guys, does anyone have any pics of the 2120 with the hull split, showing the stringer system? I believe my hull is holding water. It's listing to the port side and when I removed the forward lower inspection hatch I noticed some "damp" foam near the hull and about 14" below the inspection hatch. I'm wondering what the best way to drain the water out of that section would be? I'm hoping to not have to cut holes in the hull ??

Found the culprit. The thru hull is loose and leaking. I pulled the boat out and need to pull the thru hull apart and re seal it with 4200. Any ideas on how to get the water out of there?post-6860-0-96736700-1500239929_thumb.jpgpost-6860-0-04959300-1500239964_thumb.jpg

Since you have an access, I would drill/dig out the foam directly beneath the hatch all the way to the inside of the hull, then play with the trailer jack so that area directly where you removed the foam is level (don't think it can be made to be the lowest point). Hopefully, water will appear at the hole and can be pumped out.

I'm not apposed to cutting out a section of the floor and installing a weather proof inspection hatch lfor easier foam removal. I would like to see how the string system is laid out before I start doing that though.

Does anyone have any photos of drilling an inspection plate just forward if the splash well? My boat is listing to the port side, so I believe the water is trapped behind the port stringer and not draining

Well, I managed to dig out enough foam to get the thru hull out, there isn't much skin left on my hands and I went as deep as I could reach and couldn't find any wet foam.post-6860-0-48010900-1500333974_thumb.jpgpost-6860-0-54921500-1500334046_thumb.jpg

Still have to clean the old adhesive out of the hole

post-6860-0-90798500-1500334094_thumb.jpg

There was a lot of blood sweat and beers involved. Now that I have the thru hull out, I can run down to the local marina tomorrow after work and grab the matching one. After I got that mission accomplished I tore the lower unit off to replace the impeller, let's just say I opened up a whole other can of worms, I'll save that for a separate post.

I still think I'm going to have to drill an access hatch somewhere and core through the foam to check for water intrusion. Any help or ideas there would be appreciated.

post-6860-0-60730500-1500334161_thumb.jpg

Edited by rl4930

Be sure to use either a quality metal or marelon thru hull fitting and not plastic...they just don't hold up over time. Also, double clamp the hose on the new fitting.

For an inspection hatch back near the transom, Bowmar would be my first choice with the latches to hold it down tight to the frame and be fairly water tight. Second choice would be any of the round screw in access hatches. Go at least with 8" for room to work. Whatever hatch you go with, be sure to bed it down with a good bead of marine silicone sealant or 3M 4200 sealant (DO NOT USE 5200...removal requires thermo-nuclear devices!).

An easy way to cut the foam below deck is a section of pvc pipe and cut a sharp bevel on one end. Push the end into the foam a few inches and wiggle it around to break the end loose, pull the pipe out and push the plug of foam out, then repeat. I used this method to "drill" a hole through 16 ft of foam when running a new pipe for wiring.

Duude, I just did the same repair.

This is not a fun job in south Louisiana summer weather. I used a hand pruning saw, and had a shop vac on standby to suck out the old dug out foam.

Edited by greauxpete

Thanks so much for the info guys. Any ideas where I should install the inspection hatches? My boat has the rear fish box ahead of the transom.

Is there room under the splash board behind the fish box?

There's a bilge there already with a few sea cocks for the live well and raw water pump there's a glasses in piece that looks like it goes to the fuel tank. I think the water is ahead of that bilge. I will just have to go for it I guess. I emailed robalo and tried to look up us marine but couldn't find any contacts. So looks like I'll just have to cross my fingers and hope I don't hit any wires or fuel lines etc. I keep hearing about water also being able to be trapped forward if the coffin, but I'm not sure what that entails and I can't find any drawings or pictures for re assurance.

Make sure you are in front of the bulkhead in the front of the bilge. Hate to see you end up with two accesses to the bilge!

Follow your engine cables and batter wires from the transom to see where they were run. I don't know when Robalo started using rigging tubes as my 2160 had all the controls and wiring running under the starboard gunwhale.

Ok thanks! I'll post an update when I get a chance to tackle it. I have a suspicion that it could possibly be my kicker engine combined with a slightly bent skeg causing the listing. Now that I have the lower unit checked over, and the thru hull fixed, I'm going to launch it on a calm day and give it a good work out.

Very interested in this topic.

My 1995 2120 seems to be a little bow heavy. I have wanted to cut an access plate into one of the forward boxes to see if water is trapped before the gas tank coffin.

I just haven't had the time or 'balls' to make the first cut.

Haven't been around the site as much as I once did. I've owned my '94 2120 going on 12 years.

In response to the fellow above, my boat floats a bit bow heavy also, just figured it was the nature of the beast. As I recall, the manual lists dry weight as 3400lbs, add a 500+lb motor, 7lb per gallon for fuel, dual batteries and a bit of gear and these boats are a LOAD ! but that's also a plus for running great in rough seas.....not so much for towing.

Last spring I too wondered if I might have wet foam so I towed my rig onto a scale at a local stone yard, unhooked the truck and went inside the booth...5560lbs.

My trailer weight is 925, as stated on the registration, had about a half tank of fuel, so after some quick math in my head I felt more comfortable that the boat is right in the ball park as far as what it should weigh.

Hoping all you fellows figure out your problems.