Robalo Boating Forum
Bobl4198

Aft compartment/locker 1990. 2320 cc

Just picked up this 1990 Robolo 2320 cc and she needs a little work. Boat feels solid but has typical signs of her age. Would like to restore it to good as new. Naturally no documentation so hoping to get some ideas from the group.

First question is what is the aft locker used for? Someone along the way hacked up a cut out and I can't get a good seal on it so when it rains water ponds in it. So I'm going to have to work on that front seam to deck transition. Also water seems to drop in from one side that has a round hole cut out.

So what am I looking at and what should it look like? All 2320 owners I'd appreciate and documentation you might have or photos I can use as guides.

post-6855-0-32707500-1499562620_thumb.jpg

post-6855-0-79188600-1499562643_thumb.jpg

post-6855-0-41113000-1499562690_thumb.jpg

There's supposed to be a molded in baiwell there with a lid on it. It's teak on my 87 2320 but it would've been fiberglass on yours. How you with working with fiberglass? You can make a replacement well (it's oval shaped) or you can just make a section of deck and close it off.

Thanks for the reply. I hate to give up any potential storage.. I get a few gallons of water in this area when it rains. I think its from the top deck cover. Might drop in a small sump and a shelf and use it for storage. Need to find a way to get a deck hatch sealed tight enough. Espically one aft. By the way you were right. Its a fiberglass cover. Really heavy with a hinge so it can be raised for a back splash.

There should be 2 hinged pieces. One for what was the baitwell and a second that goes closer to the front of the splash well that is used to keep the water off the deck.

There was a lot more than just cutting out the fish box/ livewell. They don't work well as baitwell as you bait is bouncing all over killing them if on a long run out. Another reason if any chemical is used on the boat it always goes into there contaminating the bait. We use ours for a kill box. The gaff guy hits him ,swings over the gunnel and right into the box hatch shuts. Once dead we move the fish to the fishbox. If you put a live one in it he's going to ballistic and mess up the ice. All the plumbing is not there should be auto/manual bilge pump , high speed pickup to a valve and the washdown pump and Y to livewell.

So you got a blank canvas to work with. Study and write down your plans and any questions you will get answered here .

Good luck on your end ever.

Thanks Mr Robolo. The bilge pump is just on the other side of that back aft facing box wall. If you look close there is a large hole cut low. Pounding water gets over three inches high and it runs over and into that carpentry where the bilge is. The one that puzzles me is a smaller 2 inch rind hole a little higher up on the port side (right side ?). I get a little water draining out of there. Not much but I get a few gallons in the box after a good rain. I know I have an edge seal problem but where that water from that side hole comes from is a bit of a puzzle. I like your idea of a kill box. I'd like to have a wash down but gonna need some help with that one. Photos anyone?

Bob,

I have a 1995 2330, but I'll take some pics of the box.

Mr Robalo,

Great idea for using the rear box as a "kill box". Gotta try that.

Steve

Sorry for the delay, Here are the pics of my rear fish box on my 1995 2320:

post-4735-0-64019600-1500241584_thumb.jpg

post-4735-0-42326600-1500241604_thumb.jpg

Thanks Steve.. appreciate that. my 1990 it's setup just like that except no Bait well.. lol. Thanks for the shots. Is your bait well circulated by a pump or direct via a thru hull?

Bob,

No problem man.

My bait well is circulated with a pump.

There is a long pipe plugged into the drain to keep the water level constant about 3/4 full. It drains via a thru hull on the transom.

Let me know if u need more pics.

Steve