Robalo Boating Forum
Sign in to follow this  
DoughnutToo

256 face lift in the future, opinions wanted

So i have been wanting to address the interior of my 1980 R256 for months. However, my problem is if I start something I end up going all in. This will also take place in the fall, I want to get a whole season of fishing in this year! The previous owner decided to cover the factory non skid color with some white deck paint with what seems no prep work. So some areas have not adhered as well as others. Looks like crap in my opinion, but it is the floor for now. The gel coat has lost its shine in some spots and on the inside. I want to sand and repaint the entire interior of the boat. I was thinking to do all white, maybe off white, and the non skid areas could be accented in the exterior hull color. I have a new Ttop I went and purchased from a guy on THT in Miami. Came off a Rybo Runner and will have some modification to it. Contemplating on removing the rear vertical support section. Goes back to far in my opinion and allows access to climb up for a crows nest setup.

post-6302-0-70536000-1496631064_thumb.jpg post-6302-0-25230000-1496631076_thumb.jpg

So, I was tossing around the idea of color options. I have black bottom paint, which will stay black for the moment. I was tossing around the outside color in Fighting Lady Yellow over black or Hydra Sports Khaki over black or Sheerwater grey over black. See below.

post-6302-0-09227100-1496631591_thumb.jpg post-6302-0-11117000-1496631606_thumb.png

But then I stumbled onto a page on these forums and observed something that I thought might actually be pretty cool to recreate. The Limited Edition Black Bear 256. But I cannot tell from this if the bottom is gel coat white or a real good look at the color scheme. What are the opinions on this idea versus the color schemes I mentioned above?

http://robaloboatowners.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=4469

I have a lot of ideas I want to change or implement on this. I do not plan on some massive overall that turns into years and never gets completed. But I want to lock in on this. Storage is another area that drives me nuts. Maybe I have to much stuff on the boat, but I can't help it. I want to be prepared for anything safety or fishing wise. Plus when the wife comes.....my god.....it's like a beach trip. Why do we need all this crap! So storage needs to be addressed. Any ideas or links or pictures on updating the storage?

Edited by DoughnutToo

Exterior colors....anything other than yellow! That seems to have been the "in" color the past few years and kinda screams for attention. I prefer more subtle color combinations that look good, but not so obvious as to say "LOOK AT ME". The khaki or grey would look good and would not fade as bad as brighter colors.

Can't offer suggestions on creating additional storage other than an above deck coffin box in front of the console. Put a pad on it and the ladies would have a nice little sun deck, and plenty of room beneath it for the sandbar necessities.

The khaki or grey would look good and would not fade as bad as brighter colors.

Can't offer suggestions on creating additional storage other than an above deck coffin box in front of the console. Put a pad on it and the ladies would have a nice little sun deck, and plenty of room beneath it for the sandbar necessities.

I like both color schemes and my wife likes the grey. She agrees with you that the yellow is out.

I don't have the ability for a coffin box. I have the front deck with the three compartments.

post-6302-0-57091100-1496786269_thumb.jpg

The front left has my anchor and attached rope, dock lines, sea anchor and two dock/boat fenders. Left rear carries by tackle bag, tackle box, cooler bag and other dry items. Right storage has six standard orange life vests, two kids torso vests, cooler seat cushion (doubles as the flotation device), emergency kit, coast guard kit, fish net, wash brush, wash soap, water hose, chum bucket and chum tube.

My rear corner boxes hold one battery each and the fuel/water filters for each outboard. Under my console is a PITA because of the two batteries for all accessories and whatever can fit in there. The sliding plexi doors suck. My console has the factory cooler tray which has been cut/trimmed to hold an Rtic 65 cooler. My biggest issue is tackle gear and personal crap. Everyone brings a small bag, a jacket, food, etc. If my kids and wife come together, she brings the whole house. But if it is adults, everyone brings their own snacks and drinks. I know it seems like a ton of space, but it really isnt. I need to figure out a better idea for tackle. That could cut a big amount. I think when I get the new Ttop installed, I can put up a Tbag for the vests and free up some space.