Robalo Boating Forum
Sign in to follow this  
1820CC

1993 1820 trim/tilt switch

I have a 1993 1820CC with the original 150hp Merc Black Max and controls. It runs fine, no problems or issues. Went to get the boat cleaned up for the season, and went to trim the motor up to pull it out of storage, and the switch on the shift lever does not work. The ones on the motor work just fine. Just the remote switch doesn't work. When pressing to lower the motor, there is a click, but no movement on the motor. When raising, no sound or action noted.

Has anyone here removed, or repaired this? there's not a lot on this subject anywhere!

Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated!!!!

Mahalo!! JR

Check all electrical connections between the binnacle and motor for corrosion. Since the motor switch works fine, the problem either the binnacle switch or wiring issue. Try spraying WD-40 inside the rocker switch and work it back/forth. You can momentarily jump the terminals on the switch(simulating the switch contacts) to rule it out. If still no change, it's a wiring issue.

The switch on the lever works for lowering the motor, but not up.

I did have the boat in to have a kicker installed about a month ago.

Perhaps something happened during the install?!

I would guess corrosion in the trim switch on the binnacle. Don't know how easy it is to pull it apart or would it be better to just order a replacement switch.

I did order a switch> It was pretty easy to take apart the handle. I sprayed some lube into the switch, and it still only goes down, not up. Still works fine at the motor.

We will see when the new switch gets here. I'll also follow the wiring from the binnacle to the motor as well while I'm waiting for the switch to arrive.

I have a 94 1820 that did the exact same thing. Mine ended up being a faulty switch. I could wiggle it and it would work sometimes. I just installed a new rocker switch on the console and bypassed the original switch. Works great. I mounted it just below the throttle control.