Robalo Boating Forum
Sign in to follow this  
rotorwrench

Annual Ship Restoration

Made the annual spring trip to Charleston, SC to work on the USS Laffey Navy Destoyer with my Dad and brother. My father served on this ship during the mid 50's. The weather started out cool & wet but soon cleared to bring temps in the mid 80's and sun.

It was a productive week, as all 5 inch gun were prepped and painted. This includes using needle guns to remove rust areas, then prime those spots. Then primer/final coat mix to finish it off. Also, the port side out deck was taken care of with deck gray. Decent amount of work done, considering most of the volunteers are from 70 to 91. Only a handful of us younger kids helping out. The 91yr old I believe is only living survivor from the kamikaze attack in 1945

He grabbed a needle gun and pitched in with the rest of us, amazing!

SmartPhone 050417 092.JPG

SmartPhone 050417 103.jpg

SmartPhone 050417 107.JPG

SmartPhone 050417 113.JPG

One of the guys found this snake on top of his shorts, while at his bunk. It added a little excitement to the day. Luckily it wasn't during the night and climb into to his rack. :o

This trip makes for a good time of laughs and well spent time with Dad.

SmartPhone 050417 118.jpg

SmartPhone 050417 122.JPG

SmartPhone 050417 144.jpg

Looks like a Harbor Freight needle gun! Bet ya after a day of running one of them, every darn muscle in your arms is numb and you hear that noise in your sleep!

Good to see those older guys are still making the trip down there to preserve a piece of history. Also having family involved makes for lasting memories. Enjoy it while they can.

I believe that is a Harbor Freight gun, half the size of the regular one. The rust spots weren't too bad, so no all day needling. Ear plugs are a must!