Robalo Boating Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Scott Wheeler

Harbor Freight 6" Dual Action Variable Speed Polisher

So I pulled out the boat from the barn from it's long winter slumber and this year decided that no way was I going to buff a 25' boat again by hand. My left shoulder has to be replaced as it is. I went on YouTube and watched the reviews of the Harbor Freight dual action and other than repacking the grease in the gearcase with quality grease it was getting great reviews. Went to the website and BOOM there was a coupon for $49.99 for the buffer!

Bought it with two fine cut pads and right away repacked with quality high temp grease and went to work. Not as beefy as a brand name but still well made in my opinion and was quiet. 6 speeds and I was on 3 while using a cleaner wax. The pad lasted the entire boat hull and gunnels without any rips and the polisher performed great! Entire hull was done in 1 hour using a grid pattern left to right then up and down.

Since I will be using this 3-4 times a year it should last and for $50 great tool to get the boat ready for the season.

http://www.harborfreight.com/power-tools/polishers/6-in-57-amp-heavy-duty-dual-action-variable-speed-polisher-69924.html Edited by Scott Wheeler

Excellent! One thing though... the cleaner waxes provide only very short term protection against UV. Follow it up with a GOOD wax like collinite fleet wax paste or a synthetic. Since you have shoulder trouble I would suggest ShuHold Pro Polish. It's not a polish in the traditional sense in that it does not contain any abrasives. It does provide long term protection and is VERY easy to use, wipe on, wipe off. It's nearly dustless and comes of with almost no effort at all.

Yeah Mark I was watching the ShurHold vids and saw the Pro Polish which is cool that the abrasion gets finer as you work the product. I got the idea for a dual action from them but did not want to spend the money so the Harbor Freight was the answer.

The hull seems to last the season but yeah top side I need to use a good finish wax and will be doing that in the next week or two in the marina.

Oh yeah the one cheap feeling part is the on / off switch, it is plastic and sometimes takes an effort to shut off while keeping the pad on the boat.

I think you watched the one about buff magic. That's a diminishing compound for oxidized gel coat.

This is the stuff I'm talking about: http://shurhold.com/marine/yacht-brite-chemicals/pro-polish/

Super fast and 2 coats will give good protection so that you won't need buff magic for a long time.

I have one of the Shur Hold polishers... it's dead after about 4 years of use on cars and boats. Kind of disappointing really. Last fall I picked up a Torq 10 FX DA polisher from Chemical Guys. It's far more powerful and I hope it has a longer life.

Edited by mark g

Yeah you are right, had them mixed up. Going to Defender this weekend and will look at pro polish.

For the non skid and heavy traffic areas I may try Rejex that Rich always has good words for. Look it up, it looks great and holds up better than Woodys on non skid

Looks to me like Rejex has excellent reviews on gelcoat in general. They seem to be in the same family of products (synthetic sealants), I'd just get the Rejex and some good microfiber cloths and go to town on the whole boat

I bought that same buffer 2 years ago and have been very pleased with it. It is a little hard on pads, but much lighter than the old Craftsman 2 speed it replaced. I just need to convince the kids to get out there and take care of the annual wax job.....think that will happen?

When my kid was 10 he was unstoppable helping the old man.

12 these was fussing and why hwy why but he still helped out.

Soon to be 14 he was nowhere in sight.

But he just got his CT boaters certificate yesterday. got 54 of 60 questions right!, and if he wants to entertain the ladies in a few years he better get acquainted with the buffer!

Good score on the the test!

Trust me, they don't get better on helping. I was working on the boat this afternoon when the 20 year old asks what I am doing and could he use the boat this weekend. I replied with 'you got some time to give me a hand?' He said no, then I said no and finished hooking up the vhf :yahoo_rotfl: