Robalo Boating Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Ahstank

'99 2440 Re-power?

Hey all, Am a proud owner of a '99 2440 Walkaround with a 250 EFI Merc 2 stroke (lower unit rebuilt). I inherited the boat in '01 at 16 y/o and grew up fishing and exploring Cape Cod with her aptly named "Fond Memories". She is in great shape.

I am thinking of not only re-powering but also considering moving from a fork-lift/dry dock operation to a mooring/trailering situation. Know how to trailer and would try and do it minimally but nice to have the mobility.

Many questions:

What would you suggest for a re-power, 2 stroke or 4? looking to spend $15k all in.

I've heard 2 stroke Etec 250 would be good or also a merc opti (if stuck with merc could keep lines?), now that 4 strokes are lighter are they a valid option? I currently love my 2 stroke and its acceleration up to plane but don't have the confidence to take her far from shore with the engines age (30-40 miles off reach tuna up here, 70+ miles round-trip). Also looking for increased fuel efficiency.

Also, what trailer would you suggest?

Thanks all!

-Adam

'99 2440 250 EFI

post-6522-0-98246600-1484259509_thumb.jpg

post-6522-0-79862200-1484259686_thumb.jpg

post-6522-0-92851400-1484259708_thumb.jpeg

How close to the water are your scuppers? If close, I would stay with 2 stroke just to keep the weight down back there.

What is it about your current motor that has you concerned? High hours? Is compression still good? The older 2 strokes will last a long time as long as you stay up on preventive maintenance and de-carbon annually.

If your existing binnacle and gauges will work on an Optimax, that is a good chunk of change saved for something else. The Gen 2 Etecs are good, but I just cannot say I like the appearance of the latest Etecs. As far as the 2 stroke vs 4 stroke argument, 4 stroke is going to be heavier, but you only have to deal with oil once a season instead of checking the tank prior to each trip.

Thanks! Scuppers have 2-3" off the water so may be good with more weight. I'll have to check this season.

Yes the engine itself runs well just the age and super high hours, don't feel confident running her far. Compression is good, the fuel capacity/ efficiency is also an issue, it guzzles fuel.

That is the down side to Mercury's first attempt at fuel injection. Retained a lot of the traits of the carbed motors, but at the same time those motors are pretty darn bulletproof!

Optimax's would be the first choice as long as you can retain your controls. If the budget can afford it, the latest Etecs have a 10 year warranty (big plus!). After that, I would look at Suzuki first, then Yamaha.

I went from carb'ed 225 Merc's to 225 Opti's and couldn't be happier. They have been very reliable and much more fuel efficient and oil efficient than my carb motors were which is to be expected. One thing to be aware of though is the Opti's are digital so you may need to run a few additional cables, but the controls should work. With my install i removed the main harness from the carb motors and installed new wiring for the Opti's so i could utilize smart gauges. They are well worth the extra step and added expense of the actual gauges. In my opinion they are a must have over the standard gauge setup. I know a few guys with EFI motors and i think the Opt's idle smoother and have less smoke than the EFI's.

Just sharing my experience, i hope it helps

Thanks Dueces!

Great advice. Yes my EFI smokes white smoke like the champ she is. I actually kind of like the smoke, pretty funny when I'm on the bulkhead of a crowded harbor!

I have a 1993 2440 that had the old Merc 200s 2-strokes. In 2012, I re-powered with twin Suzuki 200 hspwr 4 strokes. I couldn't be happier. The 2440 is a bow heavy boat, and when I added the extra weight of the 4 strokes, it raised the bow and the entire ride was better. Yes, the hole shot is amazing and the speed tops out just under 50 MPH. However, what's most impressive to me is the control that I have more control at lower speeds especially in rough water. When I had the old two strokes I was unable to run comfortably at speeds from 20 to 24 kts and stay on plane. Of course the fuel economy is better and they are quiet as kittens. Nobody ever talks about Suzuki. Here in east Carolina, we have a dealer and a lot of boaters in the area have them on many different types of vessels. As you shop, take a look at them. In fact, the mechanic who used to keep my old 4 strokes running referred me to the Suzuki and like I said, I couldn't be happier.

Realizing this is an old thread, I'd like to add a comment about the potential weight change going from 2 to 4.

Previous 17' boat had an 85hp 2-stroke, ran awful and I never could get it dialed-in. Finally took a buddy's advice and jumped on a sweet deal for a new 90hp Merc 4-stroke. Now had a boat that ran great, but always pointed at the sky. Nothing could get that bow down with the extra 200+ pounds in the stern. Always wet feet too because scuppers were level with water, even when no one was in boat.

Long story short - traded it for a ... wait for it... wait... YES!... A Robalo... and love it!

So I guess there is a happy ending after all.

(tho I kinda do miss the old distinctive 2-stroke exhaust smell)