Robalo Boating Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Rob L

To whale tail or not to whale tail...

I have an older R-19 CC with a 2 stroke 150 HP Yamaha. I have no trim tabs. I was considering adding a whale tail or similar type thing to my outboard to "improve fuel mileage, performance, planeing speed etc..."

The guys at the local boat shop poo pooed the things. they suggested, if anything, the shock absorber type self leveling trim tabs. (The real controlled trim tabs are a bit pricy for me right now.) Am spending a week in august w the extended family and was thinking that might be a help with pulling tubes and wakeboards. Any thoughts?

I dunno. I had one on another motor, took it off and did not really notice any difference. Best thing if pulling tubes, trim down some to get a good hole shot and keep the bow down when getting on plane.

the marina guys said start w the motor all the way down, go full throttle, then trim it up when u are on plane. the only trim this boat has is the motor itself.

Had an older 18' boat with an 85hp Suzuki 2-stroke that benefited greatly from a whale tail. It didn't have trim-tabs either and would take forever getting out of the hole, but 'popped' right up with the tail. Seemed a bit more stable on plane too, and was easier to trim out using the engine trim.

I understand YMMV however. Friend had a tail too, and he said his made no difference. But for the relatively-inexpensive price (compared to most boat accessories :whistle: ), I'd say go for the tail and see if it helps.

Had a similar issue when I repowered my 236 from 150hp to 225hp. The 225hp came with a doal fin (whale tail) and I used it for a while. Was curious whether it help or hurt, so I removed it and only noticed a little more exhaust noise, but steering, plane-ing, etc. was fine. After a few forum posts, I concluded that doal fins or whale tails are for when the boat in underpowered and needs help plane-ing. Mine planes fine with the 225hp, so I left it off. I have a set of doal fins if anybody wants them!