Robalo Boating Forum
ReelPlumber

Bahama Trip

For our 18th wedding anniversary we took off to the Bahamas for our first time in the boat.

The trip started off a little later than what we wanted trying to get the autopilot calibrated. Around noon we had her calibrated and off to the south fishing along the Florida coast. Kathy was at the helm while I was putting out lines and just as I got the last line out the corner bent but went off and we had or first fish on. I brought in about a 12 to 15 pounder and in the ice she went. Kathy did a great gaff shot in the upper belly not brusing the meat. I got the lines back out and Kathy and I traded positions. about 20 minutes later the shotgun loooong line went off and the fight was on. It was a good quality fish and Kathy was hard at it while I cleared the lines for her. After about a 20 minute fight she gets the cow to the boat and I stick it right behind the head and on the deck. Kathy wanted a picture while the colors were bright but the fish wanted no part of it. I thought that fish was going to beat both of us to death before we got our pictures. I told Kathy that was one bloody deck she made.

It started getting late and we needed to decide weather to stay in West Palm Beach or run to West End Bahamas. Well we decided to head to West End. It was about 5pm and we thought we could make it by dark but guess what? Not happening. With about and hour out the sun began to go down. Needless to say we freaked out a little trying to find our way into the cut and to the marina. Them Bahamians are great people but DAMN they need to spend some $$$ on marking their channels. Getting into the cut safely with Kathy guiding me from the front another boater that knew his way around showed up and helped us to the marina. We found a slip, parked the boat, plugged into shore power and went to bed.

The next morning we got up, checked into customs, checked into the marina and checked out so we could head toward the canyons. After trolling south and east for several hours and not coming up with anything and not wanting to get caught by darkness again we decided to head into Port Lucaya. Well here we go again with the lack of channel markers and me thinking I knew where I was going I found some nice corals to bang up my props on. After getting out of that mess we limped into the correct channel and to the marina. As we were shaking our way up to the dock I hear someone holler out "ReelPlumber is that you"? Holy crap it turned out to be my mechanic! I was so happy to run into him there. He put on his gear and went under the boat to inspect the damage. Yep, them props are pretty dinged up. I knew the bottom of the boat was good as it never hit anything THANK GOD! The dock master had a friend(of course) that dived and changed props for a living. Imagine that, right!

Well the next morning we had the props changed and off we go heading back toward West End fishing all the way with not another strike. Stayed at West End that night and had a really nice dinner at the restaurant then a walk on the beach. Next morning we headed to the "Corner" where two streams come together hoping to find fish. Nope! The weather was starting to get nasty so we headed home. Once home we cleaned the boat and called it done.

Enjoy the pictures.

I guess I can no longer pick on Dan about running in the mud.LOL

17854.jpeg

17861.jpeg

20160427_184254.jpg

20160427_194551.jpg

20160428_120624.jpg

20160428_142206.jpg

20160428_142532.jpg

20160429_174855.jpg

20160429_181412.jpg

20160430_124025.jpg

20160501_124526.jpg

20160429_093924.jpg

That trip is on my bucket list and you seem to do it when you want to. You have defeated life.

Great read, thank you for the time and pictures!

Enjoyed the story and the pics. Thanks for sharing.

Can you imagine that voyage in the days without modern electronic navigation equipment. Luckily you had spare props as part of the package...and a means to get installed.

Now RELAXATION is a virgin no more to bloody decks! Kathy is teaching Mr. Lee how it's done. Those clear waters look like something out of brochure and the manatee reminds me of our buddy under the bridge.

A great way to celebrate your anniversary, CONGRATS to you both!

Congrats on the the trip and anniversary! When we gonna see the video of you saying "Miss Kathy sure can fish!"? Looks like there was a massacre with that fish! I can't help but chuckle at the thought of that fish beating the crap out of the two of you while trying to get the picture. Done that one before and had the bruise on my thigh to prove it!

Sounds like a heck of a nice trip. Sorry to hear about the props, but it was good that you were able to get everything swapped out and enjoy the trip. Just out of curiosity, what were you dragging when the mahi hit...naked hoos? I plan on making a trip out to the Stream from Hatteras in about 3 weeks, and am just starting to get my crap together now.

Dan I made my own sea witches for this trip. I bought the heads, hair and mylar from the tackle room.

Kathy's fish was caught on a pink and white with red mylar and mine was on blue and Carolina blue with pearl mylar.

Your season should start very soon if not already. It started a little early here.

This has been one of the best season in a long time. Guys have been going out and bringing back 15 to 35 fish per trip. It has tapered off now but for about 3 weeks of good quality and quantity of fish.

A lot of the guys here have been using small ballyhoo as not to leave too much meat behind the hook.

So go get them.

Off subject....but why in the heck did you have to post that picture on the other site of the hook in the nose?!? Now that image is burned into my memory...

Wow what a trip . Glad you guys got to live out a bucket list trip so soon. You have the boat looking great . Keep the fish pic comming . Thanks for posting as I will reminis over some of the trips we made .

Thanks for sharing or as they say posting, :icecream: Great boat, :gun: i have run a ground(not watching were I was going) in a 17 ' flats skiff so don't feel bad :wub: .After all the time I have spent in the islands(grew up there :punk: ) One thing that my Dad taught me was and still stands TODAY, :D THE TWO RULES! ONE Never run at night, :ph34r: Two SEE RULE #1 B)