Robalo Boating Forum
scott's yott

It's that time again

OK :: with a blizzard of epic proportions headed for the northeast , it's that time of year when i always ask for your vacation pics (BIKINIS PLEASE)..I need to see some warm beach and pics of bikini clad women to get me through this blizzard

I am not going to be able to help out much this year. The BOSS has us on a one year hiatus due to one son at Embry Riddle University. Have no fear, though, if you can wait until next year, I promise to make up for lost time! :whistle:

Let me see if I can get to the beach soon. I'm in the middle of moving right now. Hang in there. The high for the next few days isn't supposed to break 70. I know that sounds crazy to you northern folks but 70 during the day and 40s at night is cold here.

Thanx guys....I'll be waiting (and shivering)

Already got about a foot of snow and wind gusts of 50mph+ and it's only just started here..........and a balmy 15*...W/ windchill -20*

Good question...he has been relatively quiet lately.

Johhny just reminded me of something. I will be visiting my son at school next week-end (Daytona Beach), so if the weather cooperates, maybe I can get some pictures of any fair maidens that may venture on the beach.

Scott -

I feel your pain...we only got a dusting here in Virginia, but I am over cold, damp weather. Damn striper season was a bust this year (have not been on the boat since the day after Christmas), and I am ready for a warm change of pace. As much as it is costing to send Tyler to sunny Florida for school, I am glad it gives us an excuse to head to warmer climates!

Thanx Dan...........ahhhh to be at Daytona Beach....:-)

Only managed to get 24" to 30" of snow...The poor old Robalo looks like the Abominable Snow Boat.....just a big white lump in the yard

OK guys it's that time of year again. The deep freeze has hit the North East and there is snow on the ground. I need to see some pics of warm places and BIKINIS

:wave:

:dribble::devil::icecream::icecream::rofl:

I refuse to wear a bikini, but here is a picture from February 1 where I had to take off my coat and heavy shirt as it was too hot for them in Virginia Beach. Wonderful day, but no fish :(

Feb1_2016_zpsziaobp24.jpg

Going to be -5 tonight and it is going to be this way all weekend, thank god the boat is stored indoors winterized! Told the wife today I am going nuts and cannot wait till our trip to Cheeca Lodge in April, I will be fishing the pier every night and will have a day on the water out of Bud and Marys chasing tarpon in the morning and snappers later for Lazy Days to cook in the evening.

I miss my boat every season at this time, it hurts.

I'm still here but between working on the boat and our buddies from the north fanning that cold s*#t down here we haven't seen to many bikini's being displayed. I was at the Miami boat show yesterday and all the models were dressed in tight cool weather clothes. This was my first big boat show and I was so excited I forgot to take many pictures. Hopefully over the next few weeks we can get some sand bar pictures to share.

Dude...no need for us to be the only ones suffering! High today was 27 at the beach house.

When you shipping me that new motor :whistle:

I've been to the Miami show more times than I care to imagine and out of them I spent 20 of them on my Anniversary so that kind of went up like a led balloon every year . Now over the years there especially on dealer days when all booths had models and receptionist at the water displays were great. Then some years the rain and colder days keeps the sites on hiatus .

Lee did you stop by the ROBALO booth. Anything new ? I wanted to go and talk to a few ppl but it wasn't in my cards this year.

Wanted to get out in today's 72 degree weather with low winds, but the water temp is 36 degrees out for over 40 miles. Then it only gets to mid 40's. Not much chance to catch anything in those temps so today ends up being a yard work day. Plan to head out tomorrow to burn off some fuel to try and keep the ethanol (Al Gore's gift to farmers) deterioration to a minimum. Been 3 weeks since I was out last - and even though I put additives in the tank I think that's about long enough to go without refreshing the tank a bit and 3 weeks without me being on the water is long enough for me too! Can't wait to see the water temps start rising.

Tight lines

You are killing me, I store my boat from November through April and ethanol scares the crap out of me even more now as I have a $22,000 Yamaha 300 hanging from the transom. Last run I added stable and Yamaha ring free and brought the tank down to about 20 gallons. Every Spring I put about 20 gallons of fresh fuel into the boat before I start her for the first time.

It was in the high 50s here in Connecticut this weekend and was dying; smoked some chickens in the kettle with a fire going to pass the day.

Please 401k and pension get me to Harkers Island NC..........................................

Made it out today. Kept some nice snapper and a few sheepshead. Was a beautiful day in paradise.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Thought I might have had some fish worth showing. Went to burn off some fuel today and wasn't planning to fish since the winds are nasty and waves very steep 3 to 4 feet and growing. However, when I got near the Lesner Bridge I couldn't believe the bird activity on the other side. Decided to brave the waves and go see what the fuss was about. Only got one line out with waves occasionally over the bow. Ran around the edge of the bird activity until their feeding was over with no hits. No complaints. First time I've seen that kind of bird activity in years except something similar around whales. But this was hundreds and hundreds hitting an area of about 100 x 200 yards as it moved around the mouth of the Lynnhaven.

Birds_zps93htrpno.jpg

Could you tell what bait they were diving on....mehadden or glass minnows?

I remember when you would see multiple bee hives of diving birds like that years ago. I even had the pleasure of trolling along the ocean when a school of bait popped up next to the boat and we had gannets diving within 10 ft of the boat! I kept wondering if we were going to be impaled by a diving bird.

No idea what the birds were after. Didn't want to run over the bait and drive them down so I stayed about 100 feet away and tried to circle the mass as they popped from one place to another. Strange that I didn't see any large fish on the fish finder, but they could have been beneath the mass.

Cool about birds diving 10 feet from the boat. I been close enough to watch them run into each other, but not 10 feet.

For all you northern Robalo fishermen: Went out Sunday. 68 degrees on land, but 20 miles offshore it was probably closer to 50 and wind was about 15. Water temp was 45. Between the dock and 20 miles offshore the fishfinder was blank except for showing thermals in the water. Headed south with lures in the water thinking things would get better, but still nothing after several miles, so I ran inshore and tried close to the beach. Didn't find bait, but there must be some as I did see a whale. But based on what little I saw the whale must have cleaned out all of Virginia Beach.

I may take the boat out for a ride, but it looks like fishing won't produce much until April. Put extra Sta-Bil in and wife wrote up a list of honey do's to hold me until the fish return. It happens every year, but every year I fool myself into believing that this year could be different.

Good try!

Sunday, my son Tyler had a plane rented for a few hours (he is trying to build up hours for his commercial license). We decided to make a run from the Hampton Roads Airport down to Kitty Hawk. Perfect day for flying, no clouds, very little turbulence, and decent temps.

Around Coinjock, I asked him to head east over the beach, then go south. Crossed over at the Corolla Light house and saw the water was slick calm with a small swell. We flew 20 miles down the beach and I only saw one boat; a small sportfisher heading north. Nobody fishing, no birds working bait, nothing!

I guess the wife knew better when she told me back in November it was time to start some renovation work on the beach house. Sad thing is, it has cut into the travel budget that I used to spend in years past about this time and keep the rest of these guys entertained with pictures from some Caribbean beach!

Anybody willing to volunteer to fill in for me this year?