Robalo Boating Forum
Sign in to follow this  
TommyHo

Rod to pair with Abu Silver Max

Just picked up an Abu Garcia Silver Max baitcasting reel. Now, I am looking for a 2 piece rod to pair it with in the $50 price range. Want something I can throw in the trunk when we travel, just in case.....

I see lots of 2 piece spinning rods, but all the baitcasting rods I find are 1 piece.

Looking for suggestions....

Its funny that you can buy a 2 pc spinning rod for under $20 but cannot find a conventional one. Now...really, why would a spinning rod not work with a conventional reel? May get some funny looks from others, but once you start catching fish, you will have the last laugh.

Was in Dick's Sporting Goods today...and guess what I found? 7 ft. 2 pc Ugly Stik for baitcaster. I believe it was $26.99.

I did look in Dicks but did not find any 2 piece ones. I will go back and try again.

And, I did consider a spinning rod, why the heck not???

Any luck finding the 2 pc rod?

Not sure a spinning rod is going to work too well with a bait caster. The stripper (1st) guide on a spinning rod is too far off the blank to work with the "close to the blank" level wind. Line goes down from top of spool to level wind and then back up to the stripper guide. That's going to kill casting distance. Spinning rod guides are based on a cone of flight whereas casting rod guides are meant to shoot the line straight through. Also, with the height if the guides on a spinning rod, its going to be really unstable under load because the line will be pushing down from a higher point than with casting guides. On a spinning rod, the line is pulling down on the blank so the distance is less of a factor when loaded.

Here's a nice 2 piece Abu rod that would probably be well matched to the Silver Max reel. Right in the price range you mentioned too :thumbsup:

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Abu_Garcia_Vengeance_2-piece_Casting_Rods/descpage-AVC2.html

Edited by mark g

Thanks for the input. Used to be happy with a bamboo pole, a piece of string and a safety pin!

Things have gotten more complicated.

Mark, very good point about the spinning rod vs a casting rod. I will check out the Abu you mentioned.

That's why I love this site - so many of you are willilng to share your knowledge!

Personally,

I think this is the perfect opportunity to buy a new truck with an 8' bed and a custom topper. Then you can match the reel with an Abu Vendetta and not worry about the 2 piece baitcaster.

Just thinking outside the box for you. :beer:

Garry

I like your way of thinking! However, I already have a truck. Looking for something I can throw in the trunk of a car; we sometimes vacation

with my cousin and go in his car. Last couple of years, we have spent a week in Cape May, New Jersey - we fish while the girls shop.

Party boats will provide rod & reel, but they are clunkers. Also spend time at Sunset beach, would like to throw a line in from the rock outcroppings.

Checked out Dick's again, in person and online, only 2 piece Ugly Stik was a spinner. Found a Field & Stream 2 piece baitcaster on Ebay,

bought it for $20; cheap rod but might suit the purpose. Still looking for a better one, the Abu that Mark mentioned looks really good.

I've never seen a two piece baitcasting rod. There's a place nearby that has more stuff than Dick's or Bass Pro Shops. I'm going to stop by and see what they have and if they have something, I'll report back to you.

Found a 2 piece Shakespeare in Dicks yesterday, with a cheepo baitcasting reel, for $49.95, bought 2 of them!!

Rod is decent, stiff enough for sea bass or fluke, I can throw the cheepo reel in the fishing bag as a spare.

Heading to Cape May, NJ next week!!!!