Robalo Boating Forum
2-N-TOW

Costa Rico 2013

Dan,

Costa Rica has changed so much in the last 15 years, due to tourism, it's almost unrecognizable! I have flown out of Tamarindo and that looks the same LOL. Personally I recommend people airline into Liberia which better centrally locates you to most things you what to do. I can remember when Liberia's terminal was a thatched hut and you paid your tourist tax in cash (no receipt of course, who know where that money went lol). Now many major airlines have multiple flights in everyday. There would be fires burning along the runway...good times! ALL the roads were dirt except the PanAmerica highway. It was common to have the telephone pole laying across the road, on fire, due to the uncontrolled burns of the fields. Or, coming up on a bridge that had was simply gone due to washout...truly an adventure going to the airport!

Tamarindo has real bohemian feel to it and leans towards the seedy sides, but I personally love they way it feels....you know you not in Kansas any more.

As for the aviation stuff, for what it's worth I wrote the template my Industry uses for setting up internships and I spoken at many events regarding the creation of a pipeline to stream young individuals into Business Aviation in lieu of the airlines. For many, driving the limo beats driving the bus. I have many good friends that are Captains in the Airlines and I can tell you it takes a very different mindset to chose one over the other. In a post 911 world there is no more security in airlines then in corporate. Both will make about the same as a line pilot depending on equipment (the corporate pilot will ascend pay scale faster typically) both should make an average of 130-200K annually for about 15 days a month. Working into Management will elevate that to 225-275K as an average. The Corporate pilot is the master of his domain so to speak, as he is responsible for every aspect of the operation and how it gets done and if he loses his job, he can go next door for the same or more money the next day. A corporate pilot does not live in a world of "Us vs.Them" with the airline, a very negative environment to say the least. But for some, having all the responsibility, no union to cover for you and a more dynamic life style is not for everyone. A corporate pilot will likely see the world on someone else's dime. When we go, we stay as opposed to over nighting and departing the next morning. Great travel experiences depending on the company you work for, obviously when you operate the heavier equipment you go a lot further.

I go throught Dullas a fair amount and spend time in Norfolk as well if you wanted to bring him up to sit in the cockpit. The GV we have is great but the new Global 6000 we just ordered is off the charts cool (cockpit wise)!! It has Synthetic vision, which is also viewable in the HUD (heads up display).

post-1543-0-73849400-1363183830_thumb.jpg

Let me know and we can try to connect on that Dan. Welcome home!

I agree w/Bill on the airline pilot, they starve so to speak financially, until reaching captain status in comparison. As far as schools, Embry Riddle Aeronautical University in FL and Spartan School of Aeronautics in OK have been leaders in aviation. Embry Riddle is more geared towards management vs Spartan is international and more hands on for maint. I went to Spartan and felt I received a better education than the average smaller aviation school. They offered a discount on your private pilot license as a student.

I spoke to a friend of my brother's, who was/is the director of maint. for Vanderbilt Industries, when I was thinking of a career in aviation. He steered me towards the school and let me look over books to get a feel of what it was all about. I ended up in ems helicopters, but thought I may persue corporate later on if the right opportunity presented itself.

You have to be willing to move and be flexible, as it's not a typical 8-430 job. I'm on-call 24/7, 10 days on/4 days off. Not sure if I could handle a normal 40hr week anymore, like the diversity.

Embry Riddle is one of the schools he has considered. We attended one of their recruiting programs in Virginia Beach last November, and I was really impressed with their program. Heck, after listening to what they had to offer, I was just about ready to enroll!

Bill -

The airline pilots we talked to when our outbound flight got delayed pretty much said the same thing you say. They were both ex-military and have been flying since the 90's. Even they thought it would be best for anyone entering the field now to steer away from the airlines as the pay is way too low. The co-pilot said new pilots flying the commuter lines were starting around $30K based in Newark. At the time I thought he may have been a little low, but after doing some research, that stinks. Both pilots said that it has caused a big issue for all airlines in that the number of pilots retiring is exceeding the rate of incoming pilots and the airlines are just now starting to realize something needs to change to prevent a pilot shortfall.

When we got messed up on the single engine plane in Tamarindo, the pilot of that plane was fantastic to talk to. He was 30 years old and had been flying for 8 years. He said he loved what he did, as it was different every day. Working for a charter company gave him the opportunity to do things and go places that he knew the airline pilots never experience. Then again, this guy also said he liked flying into the remote airports more than the bigger ones. It was funny to watch Tyler's expression listening to this guy...I guess a lot had to do with him being so much closer to his age. Another thing he liked was that even on the twin engine plane, the pilot flew the plane and did not just 'babysit' it.

Definitely let me know when you will be in Norfolk. He would be very interested in seeing your office (and so would dad). Since he still has one more year of high school, my feelings are now is the time he is most impressionable regarding what he wants to do with his future. If we get a chance to meet up, when you talk to him, don't be shy about telling him both the good and bad parts...my feelings are kids need to hear both sides so they know it is not all glamour.

To echo Bobs comments on Spartan and Embry, they are both excellent schools! Neither is the cheapest path but your buying a network and instant industry recognition. I can speak at great lengths about ways to get stretch your academic dollar in aviation and will do so when we sit down with your son Dan.

Thanks, guys for the information. This is the kind of stuff that makes this board well worth it when we are able to help each other with both boating and non-boating stuff. The wealth of information all members have and contribute freely is greatly appreciated :thumbsup: