Robalo Boating Forum
blown66nova

ID NUMBERS AND DATE MARKS ON JOHNSON MOTORS

I AM LOOKING AT A EARLY 90S JOHNSON 200

I WANT TO BE SURE IT IS A 200 AND SEE WHAT YEAR IT IS

ANYONE?????

THANKS

:o ASAP PLEASE HE WILL BE HERE WITH IT IN AN HOUR... :unsure:

Look for a freeze plug on the back of the block. Call me if u need help.772-360-8282

I have a friend at Allstar Marine (Scott Turner - owner) if you have a serial number he should be able to give you the info you need.

Address: 28 West Jersey Street, Orlando, FL 32806

Phone:(407) 423-9953

See if this will help as long as the model number is on the motor id plate/decal:

1999 200hp models: J200CXEE J200PLEE J200PXEE

2000 200hp models: J200PLSS J200VCXSS J200VXSS

2001 200hp models: J200PLSI J200VCXSI J200VXSI

No 200 2 strokes were manufactured by Johnson after 2001.

THANKS EVERYONE, I JUST FINISHED THE TRADE, Johnnyp ID THE ENGINE AS A 3.0 LOOPER BLOCK 200HP. BY THE NUMBERS ON THE FREEZE PLUG "0431798"

Good old looper! For some reason, I was thinking you were looking at a early 2000 motor...damn dyslexia.

If everything mechanically is good, only thing I would recommend is to run some SeaFoam through it to blow out any carbon build-up. Is the VRO still hooked up or did the previous owner disconnect it and pre-mixed the fuel? Try to run Penzoil semi-synthetic in that motor to cut down on the smoke and carbon buildup...because those motors are a little thirsty, they tend to run slightly rich at troll speed and this is when the carbon forms in the head and piston rings. The flip side is because they tend to run a little rich, lubrication is never a problem unless a carb decides to act up and lean out on ya.

Other than that, they are pretty simple motors to work on, and "in-the-field" repairs are not difficult at all. No computerized crap to deal with.

Now that I know what you have, let me know if you have any questions.

THANKS, GOOD INFO. ITS SET UP TO PRI MIX.

I NEVER SEEN SEA FOAM. IS IT AN ADDITIVE OR A SPRAY FOR THE CARBS???? :huh:

I believe that motor had the VRO version 2 pump, which was way more reliable than the original ones. But, nothing wrong with pre-mixing, either. That way, oil delivery is never a questionable issue unless the operator forgets to add it to the tank.

SeaFoam can be purchased at Walmart or any auto parts stores. It is in a white and red can, both spray and liquid. I keep a can of each around the house. The stuff is a general purpose thing that works as good as any of the high dollar outboard manufacturer anti-carbon sprays, but at half the price. Based on personal experience, this stuff works! Look at the Engine Decarboning sticky at the top of the Motor forum for more info on the stuff.

Biggest thing you can do to cut down on the carbon, is to run the semi-synthetic (which will still need one decarb treatment a year) or if you can find a good deal on the Penzoil full synthetic 2 stroke oil, it produces the smallest amount of carbon when burning, so you could probably get by doing the decarb once every 2 years.

I think you will need a BRP dealer to look up the freeze plug number.  They should be able to cross reference the number on the plug to the serial number and model number.