Robalo Boating Forum

Prop size and chart plotter

plomb37492

Hello-

I have a 1999 2440 with 250 merc efi outboard. Anyone happen to know the correct prop size? its a heavy boat, slow to plane.

also, can other 2440 owners share with me what type/size chart plotters they have? I want to mount one up in the electronics box.

Thanks! -Paul

Can't help you on the prop, but a Garmin 3210 works great and very reasonably priced. Does most of the stuff the 4xxx and 5xxx series can do and a fraction of the price. Only thing to consider is the 3xxx series use NMEA 1800 communication protocol, whereas the newer ones are NMEA2000, meaning they can display a lot of the engine functions on the plotter screen.

I have a 1996 2440 and have a Garmin GPS Map 4208 mounted in the overhead electronics compartment.

That is about as big a unit as could go in that space. I have it interfaced with the # 2 VHF for DSC which is also in the overhead compartment. I do not use it as a depth finder as I have my depth finder mounted down in the helm compartment.

I have a 2001 2440 with a hardtop, etc. I installed a garmin 740s above the steering wheel in the helm as I don't want to be looking up all the time. As for props, I have a single f250 Yamaha and I'm now running a 15 x 19 sws II Yamaha prop. I tried a mercury mirage 15 x 17 and it had a better hole shot but slower top end. Its a heavy boat so you need to experiment until you find the best solution.

Can't help on the prop but iPad 3 with a scan strut life edge waterproof and floating case ($80) and mount ($70) iNAVx chart app ($49). Amazing graphics and size for short money if you already have an iPad!