Robalo Boating Forum
2-N-TOW

Clamshell vent covers

Over the years, I have managed to wear out the original mold for these covers and it had gotten to the point it was starting to show. Last weekend decided to make some new molds, which meant making a new plug. One thing I did different this time was make the shape a little more symetrical and spent a lot of time polishing the plug to a mirror finish. Made the mold from the plug and then pulled the first cover from the new mold.

That mirror finish I had on the plug....well, it is now in the finished cover! :thumbsup: The difference in the finish between the old cover and the new one is like night and day! No more polishing before sending them out to you guys.

So I am now on a roll and since I have no intention of putting the boat on the water for the 4th, decided to do some mods to my vacuum bag set-up and just clean it up a little.

Got rid of the 3" resin trap, and the rough looking set-up, leaving me with only the Vaccon JS-150 unit and vacuum gauge. Made a new resin trap / manifold assembly out of 2" pvc, threaded some holes on the front of the manifold for 3 seperate vacuum lines and the vacuum gauge and one hole on top to tie the vacuum assembly to the manifold. Made a wood frame to hold it upright. New set-up is much more compact and works better than the original set-up since I have greatly reduced the number of air-line joints and potential leaks.

Total material cost to upgrade the unit was about $27 for the valves and new tubing.

So...to make sure it would work, decided to make up some extra covers so I could have some "inventory" when a request for one came in. I think I got a little carried away, but here is the end result.

These are how they come out of the mold. All I have done is wash them with water to remove the PVA parting film.

The only bad thing about all of this is that I am now considering buying a dual piston vacuum pump that runs off 120 ac and eliminates the need for running the comperessor. Where the pump I currently have is rated to 10" hg at 1.5 cfm, the dual piston set-up is rated to 28" Hg at 3.5 cfm, which means I can vacuum bag some larger items. :whistle:

vacuum pump manifold.jpg

finished batch of covers.jpg

WoW they are definitely a lot shiner and clean looking.

I like the manifold set up looks like a pro set-up OH YEA you are our pro. Thanks for sharing it with us. thumbsup.gif

Those look really great. The three "old process" ones I got from you some years back are holding up great but these look fantastic.

Steve -

I can assure you, though, that the version 1.0 you have will outlast the factory installed ones. If you manage to destroy one of them, send me a picture of the carnage, and I will replace it with a new one at no charge.

Slick set-up, you got a regular production line going there! Does the wife ever ask why this forum, results in your shop/tool expansion? :lol:

Mine works great and looks like it came with the boat.

Bob -

Actually, she was the one that made the suggestion that I needed to change how I was making them from one at a time to being able to do a few at a time and having some inventory on hand. Previously, I would wait until somebody asked for one, then head out to the shop and make it up. Plus, when I go to the shop, it tends to keep me out of trouble in the house :yahoo_rotfl:.

As for the new tools, any excuse to have new play toys!

Wow those look great Dan!

Dan are those clamshells design for the ROBALO's? and are they for sale if they would fit my '93 2120....

The reason I ask is my original is cracked and I need a newer one. I believe the one I have is a 3" inch model "I think".. The two inch is too small and the four inch models at West Marine are too big.

LMK David

David -

These are made just for Robalos! One of our fellow members kinda made a challenge that I needed to make one out of fiberglass. Since mine was already cracked, I used it for the model to make the first mold. The latest version is about a 1/4" wider than the original, but more symmetrical this time instead of having that flat spot on the top of the cover. This will fit over the gas tank vent on the side of the hull.

They are $12.50 each, plus $2.50 for shipping. Send me your address and I can get one out to you tomorrow.

hi my name is norge ..i was reading your posting and I really need 1 of those calmshell for my robalo ,,,,,

what can i do to buy it from you

thanks.

Norge -

Send me an email (click on my profile picture, then select the email option) with your name and address. I will respond with cost information.

Good morning. I am in need of four new vent covers for my 2540, can anyone direct me? Please advise as mine cracked and or broke off, I cant put it back in the water till I replace these.

Thank you,

Jeffrey

Hey 2-N-TOW having trouble with this Windows phone....I want to purchase your clam shells for my 2140 WA Cuddy Cabin. E-mail me please. nomad@ellijay.com

Gabe -

Just sent you information on the vent covers (also replied to your post on the "other" board :whistle: )

Yes to both questions. Just sent you a PM with cost and payment information.

Over the years, I have managed to wear out the original mold for these covers and it had gotten to the point it was starting to show. Last weekend decided to make some new molds, which meant making a new plug. One thing I did different this time was make the shape a little more symetrical and spent a lot of time polishing the plug to a mirror finish. Made the mold from the plug and then pulled the first cover from the new mold.

That mirror finish I had on the plug....well, it is now in the finished cover! :thumbsup: The difference in the finish between the old cover and the new one is like night and day! No more polishing before sending them out to you guys.

So I am now on a roll and since I have no intention of putting the boat on the water for the 4th, decided to do some mods to my vacuum bag set-up and just clean it up a little.

transomfront1.jpg

Got rid of the 3" resin trap, and the rough looking set-up, leaving me with only the Vaccon JS-150 unit and vacuum gauge. Made a new resin trap / manifold assembly out of 2" pvc, threaded some holes on the front of the manifold for 3 seperate vacuum lines and the vacuum gauge and one hole on top to tie the vacuum assembly to the manifold. Made a wood frame to hold it upright. New set-up is much more compact and works better than the original set-up since I have greatly reduced the number of air-line joints and potential leaks.

P7060010.jpg

Total material cost to upgrade the unit was about $27 for the valves and new tubing.

So...to make sure it would work, decided to make up some extra covers so I could have some "inventory" when a request for one came in. I think I got a little carried away, but here is the end result.

P7060008.jpg

These are how they come out of the mold. All I have done is wash them with water to remove the PVA parting film.

The only bad thing about all of this is that I am now considering buying a dual piston vacuum pump that runs off 120 ac and eliminates the need for running the comperessor. Where the pump I currently have is rated to 10" hg at 1.5 cfm, the dual piston set-up is rated to 28" Hg at 3.5 cfm, which means I can vacuum bag some larger items. :whistle:

Edited by D9Davis

2 in Tow

Can you email me instructions on how I can purchase 2 of the Vent covers from yo, I have a 1996 2140 WA Robalo that desperately needs new clam shell vent covers, I measured and need the 3 inch size, thanks D9Davis waiting on your reply cfranny2002@yahoo.com

email sent.

Greetings! I'm in the market for (3) for my 1995 Robalo 2660. If you are still making them, please let me know how I would go about ordering them. Thanks!