Robalo Boating Forum
Sign in to follow this  
smirish

trailering, who trailers versus renting a slip?

I just bought a 1996 2140. I'm wondering about the hassle of trailering 50 - 75 miles to good fishing waters versus renting a slip. What are your experiences?

I trailer my '94 2120, and at highway speeds I get a whopping 9/10mpg out of a newer GMC full size.....so I guess it comes down to how often you're wanting to use the boat and how much $ you have to spend. I make a couple tow trips a season into Canada (400 miles+ each way) and I read that fuel prices were right around $1.30 per LITER !! :thumbsdown:

You need to take into consideration added fuel costs, ramp fees and trailer maintainance as compared to dockage fees, it's all pretty pricey nowdays.

I believe there are a couple advantages to towing :thumbsup: when you need fuel for the boat as marina fuel prices are always higher than on the road,, you don't need bottom paint which saves cost/labor and gives a bit better speed,, and the boat is always near-by giving some piece of mind knowing that what you left on the boat "should" be there the next time you need it. (I've heard horror stories of guys getting to their boat at the marina and finding expensive gear missing...and that could happen anywhere nowdays also,, but probably less likely when the boat's near-by, like in your driveway as mine is.)

Good luck with what ever you decide, and good fishing.

Tom pretty much hit the nail on the head. For me the 75-100 miles is nothing as a lot of Floridians do it regularly as if one lives in the middle of the state trailering to the Keys is a 300 mile run but if you want to go to the east coast or the west they are usually under a 100 miles. One needs to make sure you tow vehicle is rated for the total load of trailer,boat, gear (and on vacation times add 500 lbs more for all the things we bring with us and put in the boat.) Same goes for the trailer you want to find the capacity tag on it then add up your entire boat and items in it with a full tank and all ( we can help you if needed with weights. ) You will want disc brakes and good tires. Sounds like a lot of money but once you get it set up you only need to maintain it and if going into saltwater rinse it with fresh. A trailer box with extra maintenance items and a spare tire. The best part of trailering is your memory making experiences are open to anywhere you want to go.

Now the advantages of dry-stack or in water are similar but each have things the other doesn't

In water lets you come and go anytime you want as well as have a dock neighbors that sometimes work out well as most times if something doesn't seem right a friend will check it out.

In all the years I was on docks (and with PoPs friends boats and docks) I don't remember but a few people that were aggravating and they never stayed around long. There was always cookouts and sharing trips fishing on each other boats and it didn't matter if it was my lil Dottie Q or the 38" I captained. Yes gas can be a little higher but most the time it doesn't have ethanol in it. You don't have to worry about packing up and loading the boat the night before and even usually sleep in a extra hour. You also don't need to trailer in bad weather and holidays. You do have to bottom paint every year and preform major maintenance while the other will need to be done in the water. At least with the ROBALO there is no sinking option like most boats.

The dry stack offers a little easier maintenance and worry as the boat is safely tucked away inside out of the weather ,theft , and accidents caused by other boats. I know here in Fl there are a lot of first class dry-stacks offering Pre-launching and late return, loading the boat up with Ice and drinks or anything else form the ship-store. There are usually a mechanic on duty

and you will get priority over non stacked customers. You still need to do maintenance but there are usually a few stands for customers to do some minor repairs and cleaning.

Well thats my 2 cents worth..captain.gif

I trailer my 2520 with an F350 gasser, and the launch ramps are 15min away from me. It definitely has it's pros and cons for sure. Gas is cheaper for the boat at the car pumps by about a buck a gallon, but then you're adding addiives to combat ethanol and burning more of it in a tow vehicle. It takes longer to get your show on the water so to speak, but you have access to your boat wherever and whenever. It's nice to be able to work on my boat in my own driveway without a doubt; especially in it's first season here, but next year I'm going to rack store it and store it in a barn on the trailer during the winter. That's the option that works best for me long term; keeps the boat out of the sun, the boat is ready and waiting 15min after my call, no lake scum on the bottom, and it's secure.

Hi Swabie:

About 10 years ago, I bought a 1995 2120 on a trailer. I trailered the boat to Tuckerton, NJ which was about 50 miles for me. I pulled it with a GMC Yukon. Each trip cost me about $50-60.

About 4 years ago, I realized that I wasn't looking forward to the whole hook it up, drive it down, launch the boat, fish, pull the boat, drive it home, clean it up, and park it. Then....tomorrow is Sunday. Want to do it again?

No. My last summer on the trailer I ended up going out about 2-3 times a month. What a waste.

We've been in a slip for the last 3 years and I am on the boat every weekend either one or two days a weekend, and I run down during the week when I can.

I pay $1500 for the slip and I launch in late March and pull sometime after Thanksgiving.

It's well worth it in my estimation. I use the boat way more than I did when I had it on the trailer.

Frank